iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A whack of goats

Started by old joe, September 18, 2010, 09:21:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

old joe

Last month I traded a logger 5 young goats for 5 cords of sawlogs.  He gets his kudzu eaten, I get logs to cut.  The logs are not perfect, big knots on some, twisted grain, but I can get the lumber I need to add a sun room and what doesn't make lumber will make firewood.  Now if my slightly broken body will cooperate ........

Joe
THE NEW YANKEE TIL A NEWER ONE ARRIVES THEN I\'LL BE THE OLD YANKEE

Magicman

Quote from: old joe on September 18, 2010, 09:21:03 AMare not perfect, big knots on some, twisted

For a minute there I thought you were describing the goats.     :D   Yup, if both of you are happy, it was a good trade.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

redbeard

I bartered for some new  continious gutters installed by a local gutter company, The owner needs firewood and i needs gutters.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Frickman

I'm a country boy. Money doesn't mean much to me. I just barter my way through life.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

r.man

Old Joe, you didn't say what breed of goat and is it a standard goat per cord all the time or was it a good deal for you? Frickman, I'm so old fashioned when I read your blurp at the bottom of your post that said " conventional hand felling " I thought you meant with an ax and crosscut until I popped my brain into the present and remembered modern harvesting machines. Makes me feel like Paul Bunyan.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Frickman

r.man,

I use a chain saw, but I still know how to use a double bit ax and crosscut, one and two man both. They may be a bit dull but I still have the old tools in the garage if I need them.

I still have all the tools to put up corn in shocks and every few years or so I make several shocks. Just so I know how to do it if I have to.

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

beenthere

Frickman
Do you get the old binder out and bind some corn bundles?  or hand tie them?
That should be fun.
As a kid, I liked binding oats and corn. Didn't like shocking the bundles tho.
And just wasn't very good at shocking oats. At 13, just didn't get the hang of it and took a lot of ribbing from the farmers who whipped them together with a good rain cap in no time flat. They usually come back by mine and "straighten it out a bit"  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Nate Surveyor

Whelllll you certianly got the better end of that deal..... I have SEEN what goats can do:

Eat all the bark off the fruit trees, jump on cars, break off the windshield wipers, Poop on the cars, snort, run, jump, and BOUNCE off the sides of cars, and come back for more. Eat the clothes off the line, and by the time they are done, well, they really need their own place to live... like in a zoo, or with REAL good fences.

Goats. Makes me shudder!

:)

Funny story though!

N
I know less than I used to.

Frickman

beenthere,

We cut them by hand. We never had a corn binder. I've been looking at getting one though for making shocks for decorations. That's a big business in my area now. Too big to make them by hand. I never got onto making oat and wheat sheafs and shocks. I always liked making corn shocks though.

In the old days they'd leave the shocks in the field to dry until they could get around to husking the corn. Sometimes they'd spend half the winter husking, just doing it from time to time weather permitting. Someone would always carry a gun as the shocks were favorite hiding places for rabbits.

Gary_C

Quote from: Nate Surveyor on September 18, 2010, 10:39:39 PM
Whelllll you certianly got the better end of that deal..... I have SEEN what goats can do:

Eat all the bark off the fruit trees, jump on cars, break off the windshield wipers, Poop on the cars, snort, run, jump, and BOUNCE off the sides of cars, and come back for more. Eat the clothes off the line, and by the time they are done, well, they really need their own place to live... like in a zoo, or with REAL good fences.

Goats. Makes me shudder!

And you never want to get downwind of a Billy Goat.

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

paul case

Quote from: Gary_C on September 18, 2010, 11:50:35 PM
Quote from: Nate Surveyor on September 18, 2010, 10:39:39 PMwell, they really need their own place to live... like in a zoo, or with REAL good fences.
a neighbor once told me that if your fence wont hold water it wont hold goats. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

backwoods sawyer

Quote from: Nate Surveyor on September 18, 2010, 10:39:39 PM

Goats. Makes me shudder!

:)

Funny story though!

N
You meen like this?

Beware when milling for a goat farmer or you may find one or a dozen riding home with you.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

paul case

that goat is king of the truck.  pc
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
pc

bandmiller2

Goats consider poison ivy fine dineing,they will flat clean out an area.They can pirch on top of a 4" six foot high post,and love big bolders.My first job as a kid was cleaning out under a goat barn,of course back then I'd do anything for BB money. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

old joe

We raise goats for meat and milk.  We make cheese and tan the hides.  The goats are Nubian/French alpine and are pretty good sized,  and they flat love kudzu!!  Each year I have to cull the herd an sell a bunch of goats.  Yeah we both got a good deal.  Even if it takes months to cut it's OK        I don't have to feed logs!!

backwoods sawyer

Dairy breeds are selling for about $1.00 a pound at the local auction. Meat breads $1.35 a pound.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

r.man

Paul a fence would have to hold a lot of water to hold a goat. I'm not sure which is worse, a sheep, which is really stupid, or a goat which is really smart. Mind you if a pig could climb we would be saying nice things about owning goats. I am partial to Nubians though and I have often thought that it would make more sense to keep large numbers of goats instead of cattle. In Ontario we have a quota system for milk so if you want to legally sell cows milk you have to buy a quota and it is very expensive. No quota system for goats milk and it's considered greener than cows milk which means quite a bit these days.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

old joe

Here in east central Alabama they bring  a little less at auction.  I generally try to sell them off the farm.  They  sell at a premium because they are so well tended and are friendly.

paul case

Quote from: r.man on September 19, 2010, 06:32:01 PM
Paul a fence would have to hold a lot of water to hold a goat. I'm not sure which is worse, a sheep, which is really stupid, or a goat which is really smart. Mind you if a pig could climb we would be saying nice things about owning goats. I am partial to Nubians though and I have often thought that it would make more sense to keep large numbers of goats instead of cattle. In Ontario we have a quota system for milk so if you want to legally sell cows milk you have to buy a quota and it is very expensive. No quota system for goats milk and it's considered greener than cows milk which means quite a bit these days.
i think you are on to something. niche markets usually have a bigger profit margin.  pc
pc

captain_crunch

My thought would be to run goats thru mill ;D ;D ;D NZ power fence will hold em But after my experiances with goats why would you want to keep blasted thing in rather than OUT
Brian
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

backwoods sawyer

Keeping them in or out is irrelevant. A goat will stick its head out thru one hole and back thru another to eat the grass that is inside the fence.
Put the goats out where the log deck is and they will make sure no moss grows on top of those logs.

woodsteach

Too bad you aren't closer old joe I'd work out a trade for some of your goats!!  The poison ivy is a bumper crop this year.

woodsteach
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

paul case

Quote from: backwoods sawyer on September 21, 2010, 02:09:58 AM
Keeping them in or out is irrelevant. A goat will stick its head out thru one hole and back thru another to eat the grass that is inside the fence.
Put the goats out where the log deck is and they will make sure no moss grows on top of those logs.

i wonder if you could train them to debark ? pc
pc

sandhills

pc, only if it was a tree you didn't want to kill! :)
woods teach, here too, but then I'd be allergic to the goats.

mad murdock

whilst this thread is about goats, I have a question for those who have used them for brush control;
Is it reasonable to think that goats could be used for veg management, or will they kill (eat) the trees you are trying to grow as well?  I am in the Pac, NW and my tree farm is about 98% Douglas Fir.  I logged in 2006 on a2.5 acre piece of it, and have been controlling the brush with chemical application.  The trees are now 3 years old and doing ok, except I did cause a little damage by doing my broadcast application this spring a little late, and burned a few of the trees this year.  They should all come back ok from this error, and I will be sure and get it done next time well before the trees break bud.... Just wondering about the goats, have been thinking of it for some time, as I know that they can really knock down alot of nasty blackberry in a hurry.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Thank You Sponsors!