iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Poplar for building a sawmill shed

Started by 1988mustang, September 20, 2010, 06:23:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbender

The Balmy I have hauled in the winter went to the Sappi paper mill, they run right in with the Aspen products. This stuff had nice form, it loaded on the truck like saw logs, the aspen off of that site was horrible, you could barely fit enough on the truck to get close on weight limits. On another note, I was just looking at the MN Big Tree Registry, champion Bigtooth Aspen is 120' tall!
Too many irons in the fire

Gary_C

Oh these DanG'ed names again. It's all about what it not. Tulip Poplar is not aspen or popple. Balm is popple and is balsam poplar not balsam. Balsam fir is balsam and not popple or aspen.

There, is that clear?   ;D ;D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

barbender

I had my kids out in the woods the other day, doing some tree identification for a homeschool project. I found myself explaining all the different names of the trees, and thinking it was rediculous.  "Here, girls, this is a Red Pine. I think it's called that because the bark is reddish, or maybe cause the wood is reddish. It's also called Norway Pine, but it didn't come from Norway. That over there is a Red Maple, also called Soft Maple. But it's not really soft, more hard and brittle." "Daddy, why is it called Red Maple then? We're confused." ::) ::)

Gary_C

And according to the pulp mills, Red Pine is Norway, Jack, and Scotch but not White Pine.  ::)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: barbender on September 23, 2010, 08:28:48 PM
I had my kids out in the woods the other day, doing some tree identification for a homeschool project. I found myself explaining all the different names of the trees, and thinking it was rediculous.  "Here, girls, this is a Red Pine. I think it's called that because the bark is reddish, or maybe cause the wood is reddish. It's also called Norway Pine, but it didn't come from Norway. That over there is a Red Maple, also called Soft Maple. But it's not really soft, more hard and brittle." "Daddy, why is it called Red Maple then? We're confused." ::) ::)

And of course red pine is in the yellow pine family, and black oak is in the red oak family.  It's kind of like aircraft carriers-- you know, carriers of the Yorktown Class, but only one is THE Yorktown.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

barbender

Yes, we did the oaks too- Bur oak is a white oak, northern pin is a red oak, No, it's not Red Oak but it is a Red Oak ::) ::)

paul case

sounds like you guys need to give a tractor lesson you know,
its green but its not a john deere, its red but its not a international, its blue but its not a ford, its orange but its not a allis.   :Dpc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Okrafarmer

He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Okrafarmer

Quote from: paul case on September 23, 2010, 10:28:03 PM
sounds like you guys need to give a tractor lesson you know,
its green but its not a john deere, its red but its not a international, its blue but its not a ford, its orange but its not a allis.   :Dpc

My boss has a Massey Harris Ferguson 50 that somebody hog-slop-painted royal blue.

Thank You Sponsors!