iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

rim board for log house?

Started by northernss454, September 18, 2010, 07:58:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

northernss454

Hi all been a while since I've been here been a busy summer log house is coming close. We were going to break ground to put in our crawl space this fall and maybe even floor joists. My question is would you do the floor joists the same way as a conventional house? I am building by code but just wondering about the extra weight, should a guy maybe double up the rim boards it will all be TJI. Any comments would be great thanks

magone

I helped build a log house and the company that the kit came from called for us to double up the tji under the log wall as well as a rim board.  We also blocked it where we could just to be safe. 

northernss454

OKay when you say double up tji do you mean instead of 16" centers you would go 8" centers?Thanks

jdtuttle

Double up all rim joists on the perimeter. On the sides where the joist run parallel with the logs add blocking every 2'.
jim
Have a great day

jander3

Logs are heavy, the weight is mostly on the outside.  I would make sure the support structure and the joist system is designed for the weight of your logs.    

I used log joists.  Three main joists on piers, then I placed 7 log support joists over the main joists.  Finally, I nailed 1 and 1/2" deck planking to the main joists for the subfloor.

iffy

In my log home we used tji joists on 16" centers. On the walls where the logs ran perpendicular to the joists we put a 2 x 6 vertical squash block on one side of each joist. On the sides where the logs ran parallel with the joists we put 2 x 4 squash blocks on 24" centers on edge against the rim joist, then set another tji joist against the squash blocks parallel with the rim joist. Filled the space with insulation before putting the floor down.

Thank You Sponsors!