iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

black locust

Started by northwoods1, September 16, 2010, 02:33:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

northwoods1

This past weekend a guy asked me to mill some black locust logs. He says the tree was at least 24" dbh. I've never cut that species before or even ever seen a piece of the stuff before as it is not common in these parts. I know it's hard but how hard? Is it like and exotic or more like just hard maple for example? Thanks, tc

alanh

i had about 60 logs milled last fall. When its green it doesn`t seem to be any harder than the oak we did at the same time. Locust gets really hard as it seasons. We did find that the bigger around the log, the worse the yield was, a lot more opportunityfor the cavitys and bugs to work their magic, a couple of the biggest base logs were useless.

terrifictimbersllc

Probably the best untreated wood for ground contact and resistance to rot.  Fenceposts, landscaping timbers last in ground for decades. Also for outdoor furniture, composters, etc etc.  Agree with above post about hardness like oak and harder when dried out.  No match for sharp bandsaw blades.  bright yellow when sawn turns a buff color when dried. Open and pronounced grain.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

John Bartley

I'd love to try some Black Locust, but now having moved to Northern Ontario I'll not likely get a chance. I did mill a bunch of Honey Locust a couple of years ago. It was from a large tree (24" DBH), and the wood it produced was beautiful! It cut just like Red Oak for the most part. Black may be different.

cheers

John
Kioti DK35HSE w/loader & forks
Champion 25hp band mill, 20' bed
Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

Chuck White

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on September 16, 2010, 03:48:58 PM
Probably the best untreated wood for ground contact and resistance to rot.  Fenceposts, landscaping timbers last in ground for decades. Also for outdoor furniture, composters, etc etc.  Agree with above post about hardness like oak and harder when dried out.  No match for sharp bandsaw blades.  bright yellow when sawn turns a buff color when dried. Open and pronounced grain.

I agree, around here, the Amish refer to it as "the permanent fence post".
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!