The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: black locust  (Read 1218 times)

Offline northwoods1

black locust
« on: September 16, 2010, 02:33:17 pm »
This past weekend a guy asked me to mill some black locust logs. He says the tree was at least 24" dbh. I've never cut that species before or even ever seen a piece of the stuff before as it is not common in these parts. I know it's hard but how hard? Is it like and exotic or more like just hard maple for example? Thanks, tc

Offline alanh

• Full Member x2
Re: black locust
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 03:21:16 pm »
i had about 60 logs milled last fall. When its green it doesn`t seem to be any harder than the oak we did at the same time. Locust gets really hard as it seasons. We did find that the bigger around the log, the worse the yield was, a lot more opportunityfor the cavitys and bugs to work their magic, a couple of the biggest base logs were useless.

Offline terrifictimbersllc

• Senior Member x2
    • Terrific Timbers LLC
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 03:48:58 pm »
Probably the best untreated wood for ground contact and resistance to rot.  Fenceposts, landscaping timbers last in ground for decades. Also for outdoor furniture, composters, etc etc.  Agree with above post about hardness like oak and harder when dried out.  No match for sharp bandsaw blades.  bright yellow when sawn turns a buff color when dried. Open and pronounced grain.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT   2001 WM LT40SHDD (42HP Kubota, Accuset2, FAO's, Lubemizer, debarker, hydraulics everywhere), Peterson WPF 10-30 with chain slabber. LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.

Offline John Bartley

• Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0
Q
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 04:09:07 pm »
I'd love to try some Black Locust, but now having moved to Northern Ontario I'll not likely get a chance. I did mill a bunch of Honey Locust a couple of years ago. It was from a large tree (24" DBH), and the wood it produced was beautiful! It cut just like Red Oak for the most part. Black may be different.

cheers

John
Kioti DK35HSE w/loader & forks
Champion 25hp band mill, 20' bed
Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 04:18:28 pm »
Probably the best untreated wood for ground contact and resistance to rot.  Fenceposts, landscaping timbers last in ground for decades. Also for outdoor furniture, composters, etc etc.  Agree with above post about hardness like oak and harder when dried out.  No match for sharp bandsaw blades.  bright yellow when sawn turns a buff color when dried. Open and pronounced grain.

I agree, around here, the Amish refer to it as "the permanent fence post".
~Chuck~
Retired USAF (1989), Retired School Bus Driver (2012), and now a Mobile Sawyer
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG2425 Kohler - Shingle & LapSider
Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain the Wood-Mizer.
I LOVE MY SAWMILL