iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Northern White Cedar

Started by northwoods1, September 16, 2010, 02:03:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

northwoods1

I've got about 5 cords of  8' large Cedar logs to saw and some of it will yield wide clear boards. I was thinking of just flitch sawing the best logs but have been scratching my head about what exactly I should saw it in to. Anyone know some good markets for cedar or what the best use for this stuff might be? The only reason I am hesitant is because the logs are so nice, some up to 38" at the butt and not to many defects. Really unusual to find such nice Cedar around these parts and I highly doubt I'll ever have anymore large stuff like this come through my hands again. Thanks, tc

IndyIan

Cedar strip canoe builders love clear cedar, but 8' ers make a short canoe...
Other boat builders like clear cedar as well and they may be able to use shorter lengths.  A sawyer that I had milling for me did lots of cedar and had a standing order for long clear boards from a boat builder at many times the regular cedar price. 
I've seen T&G cedar used for ceilings and walls and I think it has a nicer character than most pine. 
Maybe you could sell it as fence boards?   

northwoods1

Quote from: IndyIan on September 16, 2010, 02:55:58 PM
Cedar strip canoe builders love clear cedar, but 8' ers make a short canoe...
Other boat builders like clear cedar as well and they may be able to use shorter lengths.  A sawyer that I had milling for me did lots of cedar and had a standing order for long clear boards from a boat builder at many times the regular cedar price. 
I've seen T&G cedar used for ceilings and walls and I think it has a nicer character than most pine. 
Maybe you could sell it as fence boards?   

I've got a lot of cedar paneling in my house that I cut and milled and I also sided my house with cedar lap. I think it makes really fine paneling. But these large clear logs I am thinking are worthy of a little more than that. Like boat building that would be a higher end use. I think clear quarter sawn might make a decent guitar top but haven't talked with any luthiers yet to find out if I could find someone who might want to try it. By next month I'll have to decide what to make out of it. Thanks for the boatbuilding suggestion I am going to check that out further. tc

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

SwampDonkey

I forget the name of the boat company in Maine, but I remember in an interview on "Made in Maine" on PBS, with Lou McNalley, the proprietor of the company said all his white cedar came from New Brunswick for his boats. I can't remember even the details of the product they wanted, it's been so long ago. But, canoes are not only made of cedar strip, the traditional canvas back canoes in this region had cedar ribbing so you don't need real long pieces.

There are thousands of cords of big cedar left to rot or fall down on our crown lands. In those virgin stands there are all kinds of 30" but ends in places it grows. It often grows in with hardwood to in these parts, those are the places I see the biggest cedars. The soil is igneous based that looks like pulverized granite, also with sediments mixed in and shallow with all kinds of granite stones. We are in the same site region here, but the soil over here is like garden soil as we are in a potato belt and our cedar is growing on limestone or straight lime not even solid as some places they dredge the lime out after the cedar is cut.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

True North

Wow, that is some phenomenal cedar!  It seems rare to find it that big with no defects.  I would try to find some rustic furniture makers.  They love wide cedar slabs with a live edge for dresser and table tops.  Generally about 2-2 1/2" thick.  I think if you told them about the size and quality they would jump on it.

laffs

oldtown canoe makes the cedar ribbed canoes and they get something like $2800 for them.
i  would lean towards boat building or fing some millionare that building a cottage
timber harvester,tinberjack230,34hp kubota,job ace excavator carpenter tools up the yingyang,

backwoods sawyer

When you have to saw a log before you have an order it is tough to hit the right size. Having them in log form allows you to cut to the order. You could grade saw them into the largest pieces that you can that are FOHC, FOS and then resaw them later. Cut the lower grade stuff into fence boards, and garden boards. I have had good luck having what the customer wants by milling up Redwood this way.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Tim

I'd grade saw it a thick 4/4, sticker it and stash it. I've sold wide clears for over $2.00 a board foot. When you start running into the defects, then cut decking out of the balance if there is anything left of it.
Eastern White Cedar Shingles

Thank You Sponsors!