iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

are free logs ever free.

Started by weisyboy, September 15, 2010, 06:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okrafarmer

I know it has to be good sometimes.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

weisyboy

yes aus $ dont get you near as mutch as you guys get.

if i could get a fully hydrolic machine for what you guys can id have 3.

you even mention hydrolic in aus and the price quadtriples.

i got 2 hoses last week for the bobcat, $400. tehy were only 2'long.

i buy from the us when i can.
god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

terrifictimbersllc

Someone who "heard I do things with wood" asked if I'd be interested in some cedar trees.  Went and looked at them about 12-15 trees very tall in a row next to garage from 10-16 inch d.b.h.  Not ERC from comparing needles with ERC in my back yard so guessing they're white cedar.  Figure I could agree to take the wood if someone else takes them down and I can saw logs there.  I could cut it into 1" and sell some of it, use some myself and put the rest on my firewood pile.  I really don't want to cut down the trees or deal with the branches or offer to pay anything.  I could offer to help out whoever takes them down by sawing out the logs and moving them aside.  But the whole deal seems messy especially considering bringing a sawmill to her driveway making noise and taking away nice boards etc etc.  I know each of these situations is different but it would be great to have a standard way to give something to the homeowner. But honestly one doesn't know until the whole thing goes down whether you ought to pay them or they ought to pay you. Thinking of saying "If I can help you by getting rid of most of the wood, and you'll let me saw it there, I'll take it."  Ideas?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Meadows Miller

Gday

Nice score on those logs Paul there would be about 815 bft in that lot Mate  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8) 8)

Jeff As far as exchange rates go this is about the best time to buy gear from over your way for us is rite now  ;) the other day the Aussie dollar was buying $0.93 US cents thats   the best its been in awhile as it usually hovers around the 80  to 85 cents mark when things are going well in your country  ;) When Dad imported the first Meadows mills here in the early 80s he told me the exchange rate was 60 odd cents in the dollar  :o    :) you would be better waiting to get that chamberlain too Mate  ;) ;D

I have only used a metal detector a couple of times in my life  i think they are bloody useless in a production settin if your doing stuff like recycled or salvaged timber its better to have enough fresh saws on hand and pay good att to every face to reduce the risk of you hitting something  ;) It only costs me $11 au to do a full re tip plus a little gas and time now days ;) ;D ;D 8) 8) 8)

$400 bucks for 4' of hose and fittings Carl  :o :o :) ??? I pay about $22 a foot for 1/2 internal and$25 bucks each fitting where i get mine done Mate  ;)

Regards Chris

4TH Generation Timbergetter

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Meadows Miller on September 21, 2010, 07:39:58 AM
;D ;D 8) 8) 8)
Jeff As far as exchange rates go this is about the best time to buy gear from over your way for us is rite now  ;) the other day the Aussie dollar was buying $0.93 US cents thats   the best its been in awhile as it usually hovers around the 80  to 85 cents mark when things are going well in your country  ;)  :o    :) you would be better waiting to get that chamberlain too Mate  ;) ;D
 ;) ;) ;D ;D 8) 8) 8)
$400 bucks for 4' of hose and fittings Carl  :o :o :) ??? I pay about $22 a foot for 1/2 internal and$25 bucks each fitting where i get mine done Mate  ;)

No worries, mate, me Chamberlain-obtaining fund is still in its infancy!  :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ Not to mention me Chamberlain-shipping-across-the-Pacific fund has not yet been initiated!  :o :o :o >:(

Sounds like Carl needs to find a new hydraulic-fitting mate, eh what?  8) 8) 8) I bet you just take yours to the engineers*, right? ;D :D ;) :)

Jim

* engineers = local fabrication shop
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Meadows Miller

Your onto Me  ;) :D  I get them done at a local hyd shop i also use alot off slf locking fittings which saves alot of dramas too
Quote from: Okrafarmer on September 21, 2010, 11:14:20 PM
Quote from: Meadows Miller on September 21, 2010, 07:39:58 AM

No worries, mate, me Chamberlain-obtaining fund is still in its infancy!  :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ Not to mention me Chamberlain-shipping-across-the-Pacific fund has not yet been initiated!  :o :o :o >:(

Jim

Mate

Jim Well get your butt into gear with both of those funds  Mate  ;) :D :D ;D 8) as i have a Good Mate with two fully awesome  ones sittn in the shed that hes willing to part with  but dont worry they arn't advertised Mate   ;) the 9G is about $5k and the 354 country man is about $6 they are both very tidy units as he has had them in his collection in a shed for about 20 odd years and they get used on the farm  on a regular basis  ;) ;D 8) 8) but they do have about 30 tractors to use  though  ;) :D ;D 8)

Regards Chris

Okrafarmer

Oh, Chris, you're making me drool!  smiley_bouncing food2 digin_2 cone_1 musteat_1 sketti_1 food6 pepsi_smiley horn_smiley smiley_indianchief smiley_bandana smiley_sultan smiley_chef_hat smiley_horserider smiley_egyptian smiley_heart smiley_kiss smiley_thumbsup_smiley
_speechless

I definitely better splurge and go for the 354, Mate! That's the one I'm remembering with the most fondness! I can just hear that old Perkins (or was it a Meadows?) going "thunk-thunk-thunk" and I can just imagine winning the tractor pull 8) with all the Farmall drivers sitting there scratching their heads going--  eh eh   :o :o :o :o ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( >:( >:( :( :( :( :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :'( :'( :'( :'(

weisyboy

these were 1" internal and tehy put crimp on ends on the hoses.

living in brissy everything is deer.

iots cheaper to buy fuel when im out wets 1000 miles from anyware than it is in brissy. >:(

$1.40/l for diesel at the local petrol stations.
god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia

Okrafarmer

About $.75 US for diesel here. At the exchange rate of .93 I guess that's around $.80 / liter. That's for highway use diesel-- our off-road diesel is maybe 10% less.

paul case

who in the us sells diesel or any other fuel by the liter? i have never seen it by anything other than the gallon. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Meadows Miller

$1.25 for diesel and  and ULP fuel is about  $1.20 au down here  atm  ;)

weisyboy

we dont get the choice of 2 types of diesel.

its either diesel or diesel.

you can get a biodiesel mix that is up to 25% bio and 45% regular diesel. but its only about 3c/l cheaper.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: paul case on September 22, 2010, 08:18:00 AM
who in the us sells diesel or any other fuel by the liter? i have never seen it by anything other than the gallon. pc

Nobody does, that I know of. I just translated it with my calculator since he no doubt doesn't think in U.S. Gallons. Even the gallons they used to use in Australia are different from U.S. Gallons. They had imperial gallons before, which are bigger than a U.S. Gallon. Go figure.

DR_Buck

Quote from: weisyboy on September 22, 2010, 08:45:19 AM

you can get a biodiesel mix that is up to 25% bio and 45% regular diesel. but its only about 3c/l cheaper.

Off road diesel is diesel without the highway taxes included.   They add dye to it so if you get caught using it in a highway operated vehicle they can fine you.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Okrafarmer

Quote from: DR_Buck on September 22, 2010, 07:28:16 PM
Quote from: weisyboy on September 22, 2010, 08:45:19 AM

Off road diesel is diesel without the highy taxes included.   They add dye to it so if you get caught using it in a highway operated vehicle they can fine you.

They can fine you over $10,000. American. They take it very seriously if you get caught with red diesel in your on-road truck. It's like you're cheating and not paying your taxes.

weisyboy

geez,

if we use fuel off the road in australia (like in a bobcat, tracto, dozer, unregistered 4wd) you are supposed to tell the petrol station attendant and they take of the government fuel subsidy, it adds about 15c/l.

most attendants if you tell them dotn now what to do and dont bother.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: weisyboy on September 23, 2010, 05:59:03 AM
geez,

if we use fuel off the road in australia (like in a bobcat, tracto, dozer, unregistered 4wd) you are supposed to tell the petrol station attendant and they take of the government fuel subsidy, it adds about 15c/l.

most attendants if you tell them dotn now what to do and dont bother.

Carl, when I was there in '97, the farmer in Victoria told me that he kept his fuel receipts and turned in a report, maybe yearly, to the government showing his off-road usage, and would get a refund for it. Not sure how that works, but if you use a lot of it you ought to see if there's a way to do it. Maybe Chris knows. . . . .

Meadows Miller

Yeah thats what I have to do and you have to keep track of whats claimable and whats not for your tax every year  ;) with diesel if you have say a 2000gal site tank and have it filled and put it in road vehicles but don't have enough paperwork at tax time to show your truck was using enough servo  fuel with recipts  for the ks you have done you can find yourself getting audited and fined quicksmart  :o :) ::)  ;) :D :D with trucks and emisions anything after 95 gets a 12% rebate along with any older truck that has a motor rebuild every 3 to 5 years depending on the Ks it dose too Mate   ;) LPG Gas & Petrol  com trucks and buses dont get any rebate either  ;)

paul case

here in oklahoma and i think kansas and mo are about the same off road is $.30/gallon cheaper than clear diesel . that is quite a difference. pc
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
pc

Nate Surveyor

Free logs. The idea brings many things to mind. It piles my emotions up.
Yard trees, that have to be winched.
Yard trees that have to be topped.
Loads of nails, for the first 7 feet.
Free logs. just say that, and it scares me!

:)

N
I know less than I used to.

paul case

Quote from: paul case on September 20, 2010, 09:46:07 PM
got 1 today. i was going to cut some of my own until i got the call from a friend. he says  want a log?
i says how big?
he says maybe 20''
yes when do i need to get it
we have the lull loader there now
i will be there in 30 minutes
ok

i went. i had to cut the tree down but they had already cut all the limbs and top off.
i got 1 - 10' log 27'' sed,  1 - 16'  18'' sed. post oak and only 4 miles from the mill. right down my alley. pc
i cut them up in the last couple f days and guess what ? they were free from nails and metal and nothing but good wood! shocking but true, sometimes they really are FREE.   pc
pc

Thank You Sponsors!