iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

little black and yellow hornets

Started by kenkayak, September 12, 2010, 10:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenkayak

Ive been doing my usual yearly firewood harvest on a beautiful lot in newcastle maine. splitwood_smiley Today though a group of these little hornets went up the sleeves of my shirt and bit hell out of me!Thay were small{not like the usual ones ive seen]and even though I gingerly went back for my equipment and trying  to see there nest I couldnt go_away  so looks like thay moved me to a different area till it freezes .Thankfully its a 300acre lot so I can work around them. 8)

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Mooseherder

I got into them while mowing around the camp and picnic table when we were in Maine.
I thought the lawnmower was kicking up rocks from the gravel and figured it out after the sixth welt that it wasn't rocks. :(
Those buggers really hurt.

submarinesailor

Quote from: Mooseherder on September 12, 2010, 11:11:03 PMI thought the lawnmower was kicking up rocks from the gravel and figured it out after the sixth welt that it wasn't rocks.

::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)  6 times?

Bruce

StephenRice

Sure sounds like yellow jackets to me, too.  You will not often find their nests in trees as they usually have large underground nests.  Be careful with those things!  They love to attack en masse when their nest or the ground around it is disturbed.  What is more, the swarm will chase you as well.  It is not unusual that a person will get hundreds of stings before they get away from the yellow jackets, usually running away and peeling off clothes all of the way to the house.

If you are careful, during the day, you can usually quietly sneak up to the area where you were attacked (obviously not stomping your feet) and find the entrance hole to their nest by looking for the few workers coming and going from the hole.  Then, when they are settled down at night, you can sneak back with two or three spray cans of wasp and hornet killer and eradicate them.  The long distance foaming spray is the best because you can start out at a distance from the hole and the foam will fill the hole so that the hornets cannot escape without getting covered in foam and dying.  I would spray the stuff as far down the hole as I could so that you kill the whole nest instead of just making them angry and have them dig an alternate exit hole next to the first one.

The good thing that I have noticed is that I have not seen a yellow jacket nest with more than one hole unless the separate holes were all next to each other like in larger nests.

I would try to get rid of them, though, because if not, they will usually just multiply and create more nests on your property until someone gets really hurt.
"Pure gold fears no fire!" - (Ancient Chinese proverb)  What do you fear?

D._Frederick

If the weather is warm, a cup of gasoline works well when poured down into the nest.

Chuck White

Yellow Jackets are about the meanest/nastiest bee that was ever hatched.

They'd fly a mile just to sting someone.

I agree with D. Frederick on the issue of the gasoline.  The nice thing about it is, you don't even have to light the gasoline (but I do). ;D
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Slabs

I've had two stings recently from two different colonies.  My solution is to sneak up on them in the dark of night and pour some concentrated incecticide down the burrow while they're inside and cover the opening with sand to seal in the juice and the bugs.  It normally gets them all.

You may use variations of the technique with your specific poisons. 
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

SwampDonkey

I know all about them ground dwelling buzzards.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

Quote from: SwampDonkey on September 14, 2010, 03:26:35 AM
I know all about them ground dwelling buzzards.  ::)

And you also know that the last time will not be the last time.    :(
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

I hope it is for this year, with the temps dropped off to the 50's. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ouachita

A number of years back I was cutting pulpwood with a bow chainsaw.  What I didn't know was I covered up the entrance to a yellow jacket hole with my foot.  After the cut when I moved they were all ready to swarm.  Not a fun time in the woods.

Several years later, I arrived on the jobsite to see a sawhand coming out of the woods like he was drunk, waving his hands and weaving back and forth.  What actually happened:  he was following the skidder back to the set and walking in the rut of the log as it was very loose sugar sand and very hard to walk in.  The log went right over a yellow jacket nest.  By the time the log cleared the entrance they were very *pithed off and were all looking for something to sting.  The saw hand must have gotten stung 40-50 times.  When he got to the set, I was afraid he would go into shock. 

Husky Scot

The importance of including anti histomine in any forestry first aid kit is ideally demonstrated here. It is critical that part of your site safety plan involves the possibility of poisoning or allergic reaction to insect or reptile bites and plan a control measure, especially if there is a set up that will involve lone workers with excessive travel distances to definitive medical care. BE SAFE BEAR!!! smiley_carpenter_hit_thumb
BE SAFE!

petefrom bearswamp

Been stung many times while marking timber.
Those buggers can sting more than once too
I saw one get me on the wrist 3 or 4 times before I could smack him. his little butt  was just stabbing me. sure hurt.
Gas does work good.
I gassed a nest in the ground a few years ago and about 3 days later a skunk (I could smell him) dug the nest out I guess for a snack.
I used to carry an epipen for injecting antihistamine.
Drove over a nest today while mowing, temp about 51 no activity.
Glad for the cool weather.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

SwampDonkey

Quote from: petefrombearswamp on September 15, 2010, 04:59:16 PM
Glad for the cool weather.

A little wet though. I was eating lunch in the rain and I hear the guy next to me (next work strip over about 50 yards) yell: "this sux". I hollered back, "yeah, it's a little moist". He left for home with the guy he travels with. I finished my work strip (brush cutting) at 2:30 pm and met the boss on the way home, my pay cheque in his hand. "Where to next boss?", was my reply. :D :D

SPIKER

had some work large dug hole open for a few weeks and poured some crete in bottom,, had to knock loose some forms that were left too long and crete was over the top.   anyhow had to use hammer & flat chisel to knock em loose I sat down in hole and kept seeing stuff flying around.  I'm wacking away for 10 min with SOMETHING buzzing about & deer flys were swarming I kept batting whatever away.  OK FINALLY one flew close and I batted it good and just so happened it was towards my brother which caught it  hehehe  ya it bit his thumb good!  Luckly none got me that day a week or two later walking the dog he stuck his nose right in a hole full & got them buzzing good, he got stung on nose and took off hit end of leash and nearly jerked me off my feet.   The came out that hole pretty quick and got me about 6 times on back of knee & elbow & eye.   for some reason they ALWAYS go for the Elbow Eyes and Joints in general...   anyhow I took off running & swatting too with dog in tow.   he had about 5 on his head that I swatted off & he didnt seem to mind.   they proceeded to fly away from his face and head for mine!   dang anyhow, all of a sudden a 2nd swarm came up and were getting me & him both I figured it was the same ones coming after me.   NOPE 2nd nest 50 yards away where I finally stopped running long enough for the 70 lb dog I was dragging behind me to get back on his feet.   my leash arm was useless for about 2 weeks where they got me.   I ended up taking the weed burner down there & cooking them.   this can be done in day time as the flame doesn't scare them or set them to getting mean..   I think I used to 20LB cylinder cooking bees last year.  so far this year on ly a few workers about.

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

VTLogSlayer

This summer while working in Maine I jumped outta the pickup to take a look at a culvert and landed on a  hive of black and white hornets, got stung once and jumped back into the truck where 3 more were flying around  :D  Good times
ms361 20" 
044 20"
Polaris xcsp 600
97' Land Rover Discovery

Magicman

It wasn't a yellowjacket, but I got popped yesterday by one of those mean red wasp.  They are really sorta orange looking.  Nailed me on the arm.  Hurt like Blue Blazes.    :'( :'(

SwampDonkey

Thursday, the boss came along with his survey stick for density counts and said: "did you notice the big old wasp nest yet?" Me:"Nope, haven't gone that deep into the strip yet I guess"  ::) He tied some ribbon in the vicinity.  ;)

Banjo picker

The wife and I got acquainted with a nest of very small yellowjackets last year...I had pulled a bit oak log across a section of slab road ....She was with me on the RTV about an hour later and they were still a little miffed...She got the worst end of it...They were about half the size of regular jackets...haven't seen any like those before or since. Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

StephenRice

Quote from: Magicman on September 17, 2010, 08:16:10 PM
It wasn't a yellowjacket, but I got popped yesterday by one of those mean red wasp.  They are really sorta orange looking.  Nailed me on the arm.  Hurt like Blue Blazes.    :'( :'(

I got nailed by one of those back in 1993.  Still remember it to this day.  I know what you are talking about.  Those big red wasps down here are no joke.  It was the worst sting I have ever gotten.
"Pure gold fears no fire!" - (Ancient Chinese proverb)  What do you fear?

woodsteach

Ok so I did a search for what a yellow jacket looked like to be certain and found this link for a homemade trap and thought some might need it.  http://www.alaskaoutdoorjournal.com/Departments/Tips/yellowjacket50.html

I think I need to go fishing to try this trap. 

woodsteach
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

jon12345

If you enjoyed yellow jackets, you may also like  bald faced hornets :-\
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

SwampDonkey

I ran into 4 of them white faced nests this past week, football sized, all at face level. But only one was active and I got one sting on the hand. Kinda helped the trigger finger a bit and alleviate fatigue in the hand. Works for me anyway. ;D

jon12345

and I got stung today after not visiting FF for a very long time.  Coincidence? 
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

Thank You Sponsors!