iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 025 carb questions

Started by tbrickner, September 12, 2010, 12:49:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbrickner

Hi All,

Got a Stihl 025 partially used pretty much new out of the box and 3 to 5 years old.  Trying to get is started for a friend of mine.  His dad had it put some 2 cycle mix gas in it ran it then put it away with gas so the thing has sat with old gas in it for 3 to 5 years.

i poured the old gas out and tried to put some new 2 cycle mix with stihl and 2 cycle oil/gas mix with a touch of startron stabilizer to clean it.

i tried cranking it over about 30 to 40 times but couldn't get it to fire.  It produces spark but I wonder if the carburetor is varnished up.

Any thoughts on what may be going on since it sat with gas for 3-5 years?

Also I checked the breather stem.  It still has some two cycle mix stain on it.

Another note is that the carburetor just has a low and idle screw setting this was pre High, low, Idle carbs on this model.
Any thoughts of if I should just can the old carb and go with a new one that has all 3 settings?

Thanks,
Tom

SwampDonkey

What shape are the fuel lines in? Seems a common problem if using ethanol added in gas, is it rots the lines. What shape is the fuel filter and do these model saw have a filter in the gas cap? I don't know what ethanol does to them felt filters.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

tbrickner

The Air filter is brand new.  Fuel filter looks good and the fuel line looks good.  Doesn't look like it caved in or rotted.

Also the saw does get spark.  I tested that too.

Was wondering if I could have varnish on the carburetor or may need to addust the idle screw?

Al_Smith

Squirt a little bit of 2 cycle mixed gas down the carb and give it a tug .It should fire if you have ignition .You might have to repeat it several times . It may go or may not .Chances are great that the carb innards are stiff as a board from sitting so long .If they don't limber up then a carb rebuild is likely the cure for the ailment .

tbrickner

Thanks Al,

I will try that.

If i have to do a carb rebuild do you know what the replacment carboretor would be that has all three settings High,  Low, and Idle.  This model just has the Low and Idle with a fixed High setting.

Al_Smith

There's most likely nothing wrong with the carb other than it needs a rebuild which just consists of the internal gaskets and associated diaphragm with the fuel pump check valves .Relatively easy enough to do .Like 10 bucks for the kit .

Nothing special about that carb other than it's a fixed main jet .I can tell you this that if you bought one from a Stihl dealer it would cost more than the saw is worth .

I mean I can look up the number if you really want but I don't think a new carb would do much other than cost you a lot of money .

Now not bad mouthing the saw mind you but some of those models 025-027-029 are not worth sinking a lot of money into .Then again ,it's not my saw . :)

tbrickner

Al,

I did what you said with the gas in the spark plug hole.

Got it started after a couple of trys and letting it sit a day with some fresh gas and some startron stabilizer.  Got the Low and Idle jets adjusted.  The saw runs high about 11500 rpm.  It sounds like that should be ok.

From what you said its not worth getting an adjustable carb with a high setting.  I saw one online for about 35 bucks with the adjustable high do you think it is worth the money for the life of the saw?

I know this is a home owner saw which will be used by an occasional wood cutter.  Is this worth trying to upgrade with the carb.  I would esitmate the saw is worth about $150 in its current state.

Al_Smith

Like I said it's not my saw .I just don't have much of a love affair with the design of that engine .

For what they are,they are fine but keep in mind most saws I deal with are used by tree care professionals and that  design will not hold up to that kind of usage . For an occasional user they would work out great .

Don't let my negativity sway you though . Put a fully adjustable carb on it if you choose to .

Magicman

A can of spray carburetor cleaner and a carburetor kit should fix your starting/running problem.  If not, give Scott a call at:

http://store.chainsawr.com/

He's listed there on the left.  He has carburetors for sale and does rebuilds also.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

tbrickner

Thanks Al and Magicman,

It seems to be running fine now.  I'll keep an eye on it and maybe order a new carb that is adjustable.  Just bothers me that they don't have and adjustable high on this otherwise the saw seems to pull pretty well.

By the way it doesn't seem like these have an adjustable oiler on them.  Is this a correct statement.  I think I need to clean out the oiler becuse it doesn't seem to be oiling the bar well.

Magicman

My 028 does not have any oiler adjustment either.  Take the bar off and give all of the oil path a good cleaning including the bar groove.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

tbrickner

Magicman,

Do you just typically clean out the oiler groove on the side of the saw or do you pull the clutch off and clean it inside and out?

By the way if you do pull the clutch do you  use a rubber piston stop or the metal ones?

Magicman

I don't pull the clutch.  Just take the bar off and clean everything including the chain groove.

Neither, I just poke a length of rope in the plug hole.

Thank You Sponsors!