iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cabin Saw

Started by Magicman, September 11, 2010, 10:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

OK, Homelite XL-12's are really no fun to run, plus the 16" bar is is sometimes a handicap.  My Stihl 028 is my go-to around the sawmill, and the 310 e/w 20" bar is used for what felling that I do.  I needed a cabin saw to use when I'm not in my work truck.

I was in one of those "tool stores" at Pigeon Forge, Tn., and time will tell whether I "sinned" or not.  I picked this up new with the carrying case and accessories shown for $103.00 "out the door".

It's certainly not a "work" saw.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ladylake

Good luck, I've never been able to keep those type of saws in tune. Seems like every time you start them they run different.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Magicman

Yup, I didn't expect much, and probably got it.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

chopperfreak2k1

hope it runs good for ya, but if not, at least it looks good 8)
Stihl 026 PRO - MM & wt-194 swap in place of wt-403a

g_man

Thought I was the only one who still had a Homelite XL-12 kicking around. I remember using it to cut fire wood in Groten State Park 35 years ago. Cost alot more than $100
even back then. Your new saw probably wont last that long but should be fine around camp.

Holmes

It is a good investment considering what just happened to your property. At least they will not get your good saws. It must be a good saw it says PRO right on it. Holmes
Think like a farmer.

celliott

Quote from: g_man on September 13, 2010, 11:10:57 AM
Thought I was the only one who still had a Homelite XL-12 kicking around. I remember using it to cut fire wood in Groten State Park 35 years ago. Cost alot more than $100
even back then. Your new saw probably wont last that long but should be fine around camp.

We cut firewood in Groton state forest a few years ago, and my dad and grandparents did  many years ago also. It's an excellent resource for the area
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Magicman

Yup, I still have two XL-12's.  One I bought in 1976 and the other in 1979.  I paid about $165 for each.  They still crank and run very well, but they take the different gas/oil mix, are slow, loud, & fuel hungry.

Rocky_J

No, they don't take 'the different oil mix'. They were made, and the instructions were written before modern two cycle oils were available. You can mix 1970's era 30wt motor oil at 16-1 or you can use a good, modern two cycle oil mix at 50-1. The modern 50-1 will provide more lubrication than what was available back in the 1970s.

Magicman

Quote from: Rocky_J on September 13, 2010, 08:29:42 PM
or you can use a good, modern two cycle oil mix at 50-1. The modern 50-1 will provide more lubrication than what was available back in the 1970s.

Well, that's something to know just in case I ever decide to bring them out or hibernation.

Thank You Sponsors!