iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

what is the optimal chainsaw power?

Started by motif, September 10, 2010, 03:33:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

motif

I mean I thought I got not that weak chainsaw mcculloch 738 with 2.1 KM but with bigger logs
I have noticed lack of power. Should I have bought 3KM  ???
or maybe it's just the matter of keeping the chain sharp enough ?

Ianab

That's a 38cc chainsaw, you can't expect a heck of a lot from it.

For pruning, thinning small trees, gardening it might do the job. But anything more serious it's not going to have the power.
Of course a sharp chain does help, no matter what size saw you have.

For serious firewood cutting you probably want something up around 60cc, and 3kw+.
We use Dolmar 7900s (79cc, 4kw) for firewood, but we are probably dealing with bigger trees, and we still have my buddies 120cc Husky for the really big stuff.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Rocky_J

I didn't know the mccullouch name was still being used? Nothing but cheap Chinese junk since the early 80s.

motif

Quote from: Rocky_J on September 10, 2010, 07:52:22 AM
I didn't know the mccullouch name was still being used? Nothing but cheap Chinese junk since the early 80s.

not really, assembled in USA for Husqvarna Sweden.  Not the cheapest either 139 gbp.

motif

Quote from: Ianab on September 10, 2010, 06:40:38 AM

For pruning, thinning small trees, gardening it might do the job. But anything more serious it's not going to have the power.

For serious firewood cutting you probably want something up around 60cc, and 3kw+.
We use Dolmar 7900s (79cc, 4kw) for firewood, but we are probably dealing with bigger trees, and we still have my buddies 120cc Husky for the really big stuff.

Ian

thanks for tips, I know now what my next chainsaw will be like. it has to be able cut trees like that one:

;D

John Mc

The question is kind of like "what's the optimal horsepower (or KW) for a motor vehicle?" It depends on what you are going to do with it.

If you are really spending all day cutting trees as big as what smashed the truck in your photo, then even the Dolmar 7900 that Ianab mentioned may seem on the small side.

A saw in the 60cc range makes a decent general purpose saw. Not to big and heavy for limbing, but still has the power to do a decent job on firewood (8" to 12" diameter hardwood logs with the occasional larger log in the mix). You may get by with a good 50cc saw, if lighter weight makes a difference to you, and you don't mind a few more seconds spent on each cut. You may want to go bigger if the cost doesn't scare you off, saving a bit of time is important to you, or if you are regularly working with larger logs.

What you are cutting can make a big difference as well. Cutting softwoods, such as pine takes significantly less power than the same diameter Oak or other hardwood.

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

jcoleman

Recently purchased a Makita 6401 and loving it. Maybe I'm finally figuring out how to sharpen a chain but it seems to cut better than the Husky 272 did.
Husky 272, Makita 6401, TimberKing 1600

Holmes

Quote from: motif on September 10, 2010, 08:30:48 AM
Quote from: Ianab on September 10, 2010, 06:40:38 AM

Ian
thanks for tips, I know now what my next chainsaw will be like. it has to be able cut trees like that one:

;D
Are you loading or unloading that pick up truck?
Think like a farmer.

Thank You Sponsors!