iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

weekend work

Started by jeepman, November 09, 2003, 04:12:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeepman

I just wanted to show off what I was up to this weekend. We dusted off the forge and moved the anvil to do a little smithing.
The chisel on the left is 1 1/4 wide. It came from a railroad spike. The 2 1/4 slick was a ford ranger spring. The 1 1/2  chisel on the right was from a sawmill blade.

Don P

Awesome  8)
 I like the slick...
 my Ranger is an '03...
She'll never miss 'em
 springs are overrated anway

Some days more than others :D

HUNTER700

Hey, nice work,I like them :) :).

raycon

Did you weld the "socket" to the chisel or hammer it into shape from one spring? I've been saving leaf springs for a while - probably have enough laying around to make 30 slicks.

Awesome.
Lot of stuff..

jeepman

I hammered the sockets out. That is the hard part. On the chisel, I hammered out a fan and formed it on the horn. I had one seam to weld. I thought it would be easier on the slick to split the blank and hammer out two fans and weld two seams. The end result was better, but more time and finesse involved. I had to read up on tempering to finish the job. Foxfire, Roy Underhill, and Blacksmith Gazette all offer different methods. The railroad spike chisel went in my oven. The slick went to the forge. I cheated on the sawblade chisel, I cut it out with a plasma and welded the handle on. No temper lost.

Thank You Sponsors!