iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sourcing reclaimed barnwood

Started by malcolmtent, September 06, 2010, 06:29:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

malcolmtent

I'm interested in locating some reclaimed barnwood, but don't have a clue as to how to structure a deal with the owner(s) of any wood I might find.

If I have to pull down a barn, who pays for that - me or the owner? Does the owner just get the barn removed and I get the wood? How much effort is it to pull down a barn safely? Anyone have any insights on techniques?

How much should I pay for such wood? If I pull down the barn, or if it's already demolished? Actaully, I'm more than a little reluctant to pay for a log or any other wood, but am not afraid of hard work.....

I don't even know what the questions are, but I know the answers are on this wonderful board.

So please share your experiences. I know that everyone's got different stories, and I'm not expecting a one-size-fits-all answer. Just some insight on what others have experienced.

Thanks,

Malcolm

old joe

About 10 years ago my wife, son and I dismantled a 100+ yr old house.  Our purpose was to get some good wood(I didn't yet have a mill).  We took it down in the reverse of how it was built and salvaged everything from the white cedar shingles we found under asphalt roofing to the 12x12 sills.  It took a long time, part time. We were surprised to find that some of the wood had already been used before.  18 to 24 inch true heart pine!
The owner wanted it down, we wanted the wood.  No money changed hands.
Would I do it again?  Not at my age....

Joe
THE NEW YANKEE TIL A NEWER ONE ARRIVES THEN I\'LL BE THE OLD YANKEE

Ironwood

Tearing down a barn is a lot of dangerous and hard work.,are in need of a small quantity . Just buy what you need.  If you want to do this to make money go find someone to go work for and learn the ropes. The industry is currently in,a major slump. Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

r.man

When I was a lot younger I helped a my brother dismantle a century old log house. Hewn logs, one and a half storey fairly small building. No machinery, no brains, no problem. Just hard work, no real danger. On the other hand I know of someone in our area who was killed trying to dismantle a post and beam barn. Different ballgame altogether. Be careful, be safe. Which type are you hoping for?
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

bandmiller2

Malcolm,I think every deal is different,alot depends on the quality of the building and how bad the fella wants it down.Probibly a good barn with desirable wood remove it free or a token payment kinda crappy building get paid some.Good advice to reverse the order it was built.In my youth I helped a guy tear down an old wood pegged barn it felt so loose we thought we could pull it over with a truck,in a rats pooper we could, it got half way over and locked up then we had a real dangerous building to take down.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Chuck White

I'd say the best source would be to drive around within your area and look for a barn or shed that's in one stage or another of falling down.

They are around, but most of us seem to look right past them.

The bad part of taking down a barn is the height, so be careful.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Tim

Around here, the folks that are wanting the reclaimed material are generally offering to take the barn down for the materials that are reclaimed. Basically, they are getting the wood for the effort they are putting into disassembling the barn.

I've a couple barns here on the property that are ready to be removed. However, The general offer strikes me as a burn. When I was still sawing lumber, I would give the slabs away to those that wanted them under two stipulations; The slabs were free unless they left a mess, then it was $30 per bundle... If they were selling the slabwood to someone else, it was $30 per bundle.

I know there is a large difference in the labour needed to disassemble a barn and the effort to cut up a cord of slabs but, if someone is making, then it should be passed along the line...

I'd be happy to talk with you about what we have here v. what you are looking for Malcolm, we might be able to work something out on a percentage basis.

Tim
Eastern White Cedar Shingles

Jim_Rogers

Malcolm: I have to first ask, are you looking for barn boards? That is siding off an old barn, gray and weathered? Or are you looking for timber to be used as timbers? Or timbers to be re-sawn into other lumber like flooring?

There are different answers to different uses of the lumber.

If you're looking for barn boards, just siding, then you could approach a barn owner and ask if you can have it for hauling it away. Sometimes partially falling down barns will have some nice boards but they may be difficult to remove. To remove board siding from a standing barn is usually easier, then trying to remove them from a barn that has fallen down.

If you're looking for timbers to be re-sawn then you may have to take the barn down.

Taking a barn down, sounds easy but it can be difficult depending on how the barn was built. Some 2by barns should be somewhat easy to "pull down." But if it's a timber framed barn it may not be so easy to "pull down."

Another thing you need to be concerned about is if the barn was painted. Some of the old barns (if not most, or even all) were painted with lead based paint. And the rules for dealing with lead based painted wood has just changed and it may be difficult now to just "pull a barn down"......

I have a friend who lives not far from you, who takes down old barns and sells them. That is to be re-assembled into another structure like a house.  He has some barns for sale, disassembled, if you want to buy a barn.

Just let me know.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Chuck White

If you're looking for a supply of "old barn boards", think about stopping to see someone who owns one and mention that you have a sawmill and you could saw some new lumber to reside the barn in exchange for the old ones that are currently on the barn.

That has been done around here in recent history.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!