iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

10-10s starts, now my stihl 440 won't start

Started by davefrommd, November 09, 2003, 02:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davefrommd

Yes while I got one saw running the other one stopped running. I replaced the sparkplug to my mcculloch chainsaw and added fresh gas mix and it started on the first pull even after refueling using it for about 2 hours.

However I could not get my stihl 440 started. I live in maryland and it was a cold day. I was wondering if the cold weather has something to do with not starting. Do I need to make any adjustments for cold weather use. Fuel mix is fresh and full. I had the choke on.

Isn't that something. I couldn't get my mcculloch to start for days. The day I started it then my stihl just would not start. I ran the stihl all day yesterday. Maybe I was only meant to use one saw...a one saw limit.  I bought the stihl 440 at the beginning of summer and never made any adjustments as it has always run good for ocasional use. I sure could use some ideas or suggections on keeping my saws running. Dave

Kevin

Dave, go right to the manual and read the starting procedure.
You have to discover the secret to starting each saw.

Adamj

Dave,

I empathize with your frustration.  I am sure that the owner's manual or local Stihl dealer would be a great help in correcting the starting problems.  

If none of these solutions help to curb the on-going problems, I would recommend that you sell your equipment and buy a good hand saw.   ;D

ladylake

Dave
 Are you sure you have the choke on all the way? When pushing it down you have to hold the throttle open.
Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

davefrommd

I have been using my stihl 440 for cutting firewood for about 7 days straight with no starting problems as the days were warm. It was only on this cold day it wouldn't start. I understand how the choke and throttle works.  I'm just thinking because of it being used on a cold day for the first time maybe it needed some sort of adjustment for cold weather. My shihl farm boss seemed to run nicely in cold or hot days with no starting problems. I'm going to check out the sparkplug today. Thanks everyone.  Dave

Kevin

Dave, if the plug is wet and you have spark it should start.
If it won't start chances are the plug is too wet and you are flooding it and should change your starting procedure.
Is that the same gas you had trouble with in the other saw?
Maybe the gas is bad?

davefrommd

I dumped out the old gas mix a few months old and made a fresh batch of gas/oil mix. I've learned that engines can be fussy about old fuel. I'm guessing the engine is flooded. Dave

Russ

I can't even pull the cord on my MS440. Can a tune up screw up a saw that bad, never had a problem until I had a routine maintenance done.  I can turn the flywheel by hand but when I put the starter housing back on I can't pull. Took it to two different shops they saw nothing is wrong and that's its a beautiful saw. I've snapped the cord several times. Anyone have a problem with aftermarket starter housing ? I told the dealer that I'd pay for one if it would fix the problem, $100 plus and still no fix, didn't think it was the housing. Never had any problems with my 372 Husky with 6 years of hard use and abuse.

sawguy21

Have a good look at the rewind pulley, it may be split.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

sablatnic

Quote from: sawguy21 on August 04, 2019, 12:07:27 PM
Have a good look at the rewind pulley, it may be split.
Yes, or you might be using too thing cord, that will make it impossible to pull over too!

Thank You Sponsors!