iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Questions on a JD 440C skidder

Started by 5akman, September 06, 2010, 01:12:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

5akman

I'm looking at buying a mid '80's 440C. It has a few minor issues such as a healthy turbo oil leak, blade cable has been replaced with a metal rod (no big deal I suppose) and needs 4 new 18.4 x 26 tires.

Questions: Are parts readily available for this rig? If not, can someone provide some names of some dismantlers to check with. Where can I get larger wheels/tires such as some 23.1's. I'd like the extra floatation if I'm having to buy tires, might as well pursue some wider wheels. What are the "eyes" above the blade for? Are these for hooking up for towing or are there forks or something that attach there?
1978 JD 440C

fishpharmer

Welcome to ForestryForum Sakman.  I don't know much about JD skidders. If the forestry equipment division is anything like the Agriculture Eq. Division then parts should be readily available from a JD dealer.  Call a Deere Forestry dealer and ask the parts guy.  You should be able to locate a dealer at www.deere.com   

If you mention what part of the country you are from someone may recommend a dealer.  How long have you been logging?  Looking forward to hearing about your operation.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Mark K

If you can purchase it for a reasonable price, go for it. I've had problems in the past few months finding transmission parts. Haven't had any problems getting engine, axle and winch parts from my JD dealer. We have a bone yard up here that specializes in Deere skidders but mainly the A and B series. I cant help ya with the 23.1 question, never seen them on a 440 but I guess anything can be done with a little fabrication. Good luck.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

northwoods1

You can get parts at any John Deere forestry dealer or there are a lot of used parts for major repairs floating around out there this is a very common skidder. If I was looking for 23.1 rims I would just keep checking the used market and the for sale section of logging publications and be asking around. I'm not to sure about using the 23.1s on that skidder it has a very short tight turning radius and meant to manuever around in the tightest of spots, now if it was a D model that is a very good skidder to run the wider tires as it has the same frame as the 540. tc

Timbercrk1

Mark,
      I dont have a jd skidder yet but hope to in the future. I'm in NY what is the name of bone yard your speaking of for future use.

Thanks!

Mark K

It's just north of me. I'll see if I can find his number, he doesn't have many C's or D's and the ones he does are pretty well stripped. We had a real hard time finding trans. parts for a 440D. Called all over the place and put it on parts finder with no luck. Had the shaft made at a shop in Syracuse in the end. Other than that I've had no trouble getting parts for JD's. I personally don't own a Deere, just work on them occasionally. I own a TJ 225A.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

Maine372

the loops of steel above the blade keep logs from rolling back over the blade. if a log got behind the blade it can get caught under the engine compartment and keep you from raising the blade.

Bobus2003

For Used Parts Almost any machine imaginable i use Schaefer Enterprises - http://www.sewlparts.com/Default.aspx

The oil leak is prolly from the Supply Line being loose or a bad gasket in the oil return.. anywhere else and it'll cost ya a few $$ to fix it.

The "eyes" you speak of, Are they the large Steel loops like shown here? Or are they like the smaller ones up top that overhang the blade?

The Smaller ones are used for Attaching a Brush Rake to the skidder, Larger ones are for Keeping slash and logs from falling behind the blade

JDeere

As far as parts for an older John Deere skidder, you CAN NOT get a lot of them through a John Deere dealer. Many of the parts for that skidder are no longer made. Make sure you have a source for parts. A friend of mine in NY was down 2 weeks looking all over the country for transmission parts for his 440C. I also know a guy who sells used skidders (he has over 150 of them) and he told me it can be a real problem finding parts for the older John Deeres.
2013 Western Star, 2012 Pelletier trailer, Serco 7500 crane, 2007 Volvo EC 140, 2009 John Deere 6115D, 2002 Cat 938G, 1997 John Deere 540G, 1996 Cat D-3C, 1995 Cat 416B, 2013 Cat 305.5E

Bobus2003

Quote from: JDeere on September 06, 2010, 08:24:50 PM
As far as parts for an older John Deere skidder, you CAN NOT get a lot of them through a John Deere dealer. Many of the parts for that skidder are no longer made. Make sure you have a source for parts. A friend of mine in NY was down 2 weeks looking all over the country for transmission parts for his 440C. I also know a guy who sells used skidders (he has over 150 of them) and he told me it can be a real problem finding parts for the older John Deeres.

Never had any problems finding parts.. My local JD Dealer has been able to get anything i've asked for.. and for the parts that deere wants too much $$ for i use Schaefer Enterprises or dig through my boxes of parts

IMOWOOD

I have a 440C with 23.1's on it and its a little tank. . . .ALOT more stable than the 18.4's the only thing I did was weld a 1" thick stop onto the existing stops on the center section to keep the tires from hitting.  You will lose a little turing radius but I think the stability and flotation out weighs it.  

On the parts side of things, the trannys are the weak link if they go the machine is as good as parts.  But for the rest of the machine its not too bad I usually cross reference to ag parts when ever I can because I can get them local.

5akman

The trans on the rig is a 4sp with a High/Low selector. So is this called the Syncromesh trans? My use is to launch my skiff off a steep marble pile for my commercial fishing operation in Alaska. I'd add a hitch to the bottom of the bash plate. I currently have a  50's vintage MRS A90 wheel tractor with Rockwell planetaries (sp?). I got it stuck this summer and its a bummer to get the biggest rig on the beach stuck with tide ranges from -3 feet to 24 feet in 6 hours! A buddy with a big backhoe was able to dig me out. I now realize that I need a skidder that has locking differentials. Any other skidders out there with locking diffs that would work if the JD falls through? I also found a 440 (not an A,B, C or D model the owner states) with a recently rebuilt engine that now has water in the crankcase. The guy wants 6K for it. Rig is in great shape with decent tires but I wonder about parts on this late 60's vintage unit. Is this too old? I only use the tractor for maybe 20 hrs of total engine time each summer and then it sits in storage for 10 months.

Yes, the eyes I was talking about are the small ones on top of the blade. Thanks for the clarification.

Lance
www.alldrinsalmon.com

1978 JD 440C

IMOWOOD

I think you would be good with that machine if it had a set of good 23.1's on it. I took mine threw a pond (3'+/- deep) with a muddy bottom kinda by accedent but it came out the other end so all was ok, its amazing where they can go. 

It sounds like that rig has the regular manual tranny 2 forward gears 1 reverse on one stick with 3 ranges on the other.  The 440 with have a selectable front locker.

5akman

Well, its mine! I committed to it this afternoon and it will be delivered next Monday or Tuesday. A shop in Anchorage quoted around 400.00 to rebuild the turbo. Now to find some tires and/or wheels...............

Lance
1978 JD 440C

celliott

Quote from: 5akman on September 07, 2010, 09:01:35 PM
Well, its mine! I committed to it this afternoon and it will be delivered next Monday or Tuesday. A shop in Anchorage quoted around 400.00 to rebuild the turbo. Now to find some tires and/or wheels...............

Lance

Well conrgatulations on the skidder! forestry tires are very pricey, and if your not planning on using it in the woods, you may be able to get by with ag tires- that might work out best for your use, no sense in spending alot on new forestry tires if your gonna run it on the beach. should be the same traction wise, just not as heavy duty or expensive.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

5akman

Yes, that's what I was thinking. I do have some rather sharp rocks down near the low water line. As long as I dodge those, I think the ag tires will be fine.
1978 JD 440C

Thank You Sponsors!