iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

DEUTZ diesel engine

Started by Jerry, September 04, 2010, 09:45:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerry

Has anyone used a 40 hp Deutz engine on a Woodmizer LTD 40 mill if so did it work well. I have a chance to obtain one for just exchanging my 28 hp Kohler gas engine out for it. Just wondering if it was worth the trouble. Thanks everyone
LT40G28 Manual Woodmizer

Meadows Miller

Gday

And Welcome to the Forum Jerry  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8)

with the Deutz they are a good motor and it depends on the one you are tradings condition weather its a good deal or not to try and up your hp on the lt40 you also may have to consider upgrading the mounting assy depending on the weight of the motor being fitted Pineywoods fitted a 38 kawasaki to his lt40 a while back and its working well foir him and im pretty sure he'll chime in with his thoughts Mate

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

fishpharmer

Not sure how it will work for your situation.  I have always heard good things about deutz engines.  If it doesn't work out for you, see if they want to trade for an 18 hp Briggs ;) :D.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

customdave

Yes like Chris mentioned the weight difference, this would be my fist concern which be sorted out quickly with a phone call to WM. Good luck in your trade if you choose to!

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

barbender

My experience with Duetz diesels- they are rugged, simple engines that sip fuel. We have an asphalt roller at work with a duetz in it, I can't remember if it'e a three or 4 cylinder. Probably 35 to 40hp, non turbo. I've always thought it would make a nice mill engine. We also have a newer version of the same roller, this one has a 4 cylinder liquid cooled Kubota diesel- it uses a lot more fuel than the Duetz powered one.
Too many irons in the fire

Okrafarmer

Most Deutz, I think, are air-cooled, which is a little unusual for a diesel, at least in North America, so that makes it an easier power unit to install-- don't have to worry about radiator, etc. which makes it an excellent setup to replace an air-cooled gas application.  Some air-cooled diesels have been known to overheat in very hot weather-- if most of your sawing will take place below 90 F I think you'll be ok. They are a very well-known and established engine with many many applications.

As for the weight I wouldn't know.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

bandmiller2

Before I got too far along I'd measure the physical size and figure if it will fit in the hole,air cooled diesels tend to have large cowling and a fan.You can google the specs for its weight and compare to known conversions or as suggested call woodmizer.Usally anything like this can be done just depends on how much work you want to do.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

pineywoods

Jerry, putting a different engine on a lt40 is fairly simple. IF you can keep the weight under control. In your case, weight would be a real problem.  Look at an lt40 with a diesel engine and you will see lots of things that are bigger and stronger. For starters, I would just about guarantee that the head lift mechanics won't lift the deutz..There are ways to get aqround the problem, but it ain't a simple "just bolt on a new motor and go" When the briggs on my 95 manual lt40 got too tired to do the job, I went with a liquid cooled V-twin kawasaki. It weighs within a few pounds of the briggs and actually uses less fuel. Use the search function and look for "kawmizer" There's 2 posts with pics showing the conversion, mine and JP Green's.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

LPitt

Another thing to think about is that diesel engines run at lower rpm's that gas. This will change the speed of everything on the mill.
Linn Lumber 1900 hyd, Bobcat T190 with grapple ect., Kubota MX 5100, Ford 555E backhoe, Sthil ms460, home made wood splitter, and more projects than I can count.

Tim/South

Deutz engines are bullet proof.
It takes a lot of engine to make 40 HP, especially a Diesel. It may be a chore to make the engine fit.

jesse

i have not used a deutz on a woodmizer but i repowered my timber harvester with a 48 h.p. f3l2011 deutz wich if i remember right is around 500 pounds so the weight would something to consider this replaced a 24 h.p. onan

Jerry

Hey fellow sawers I was just running this by you because the engine is new and it wouldn't cost me anything but the trouble of changing them out the engine is on a pressure washer.
LT40G28 Manual Woodmizer

barbender

If it's not going to cost you anything it makes it much more enticing :)
Too many irons in the fire

paul case

free --- didnt cost anything--- is always the best price.  pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Thank You Sponsors!