iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

M-14 - Engine vibration transferred to mill frame?

Started by Birk-man, September 03, 2010, 07:26:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Birk-man

Hi all,

The last piece I need to complete the drive train from engine to saw blade is a coupling to connect the engine to the mill.  When my 50 HP Deutz diesel is running there is a significant amount of vibration. 

I am considering either:

1) Carefully aligning the output shaft from the speed reducer on the engine with the jack shaft on the mill frame and using a flexible coupling to connect the two shafts.  This would take advantage of the coupling that came with the engine and would tie right onto the 1/1/2" diameter jack shaft.

2) Finding a PTO driveshaft (like those used to connect implements to tractors) and shortening it so the engine can be close to the mill.  This option would require more monkeying around to find/fabricate the appropriate matching ends to the drive shaft and I'm not sure how well the driveshaft would remove the engine vibration.

Does engine vibration transferred through to the mill frame effect the sawblade and the straightness/smoothness of the cuts?

Thanks for your help and suggestions - as always!

Peter Wendel

bandmiller2

Pete,vibration will affect everything on the mill,not good for the saw has a tendency to cause it to chatter in the guides.What are you using now if you could possibly show us some pictures.Most folks use universal joints like in an auto or truck drive shaft or as you mentioned tractor pto shaft.If you have too much of an angle between the engine output shaft and the arbor you will get pulsing, and the U-joint crosses must be in phase.You should also have a weak link be it "V" belts, slip clutch, or shear bolt.Give us more information.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Birk-man

Frank -

I added a couple of views of the Sketchup model of what I am considering for my Belsaw M-14 set up to my gallery. 

It would have three belts to provide some slippage. 

I could also put a shear bolt into the mechanism as part of the motor to jack shaft connection. 

I found a short drive line at the tractor salvage yard so I think I am going to cut it as short as possible. It's been suggested that I need at least a 1/4" of shaft-to-shaft miss-alignment for the universal joint to flex and keep grease distributed in the joints. 

I'm concerned that the engine vibration is going to transfer through the drive line to the saw frame and cause problems with the accuracy of my cuts.

I'm open to any and all suggestions!

Peter

Birk-man

Here's another try at including the images in my post - Peter

Stan snider

A Longer drive shaft will smoothe out vibrations somewhat.  The longer it is the more critical balance will be. I would much prefer a P.T.O. than belts if the speed reducer gets you in the right R.P.M. range.  Mine has a slipclutch on the end of the mandrel off of a Bush Hog brand mower.  Stan

bandmiller2

Peter, that lashup you have shown should work fine even a short driveshaft with the two "U" joints will eliminate the vibration your worried about."V" belts are a good thing on a mill as a weak link and to reduce pulsing and vibration.Sometimes when belts are cold they tend to take a set but after a short run they warm up and smooth out.Frank C.

captain_crunch

You need V belt drive between power and arbor or things fly appart
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

sandhills

captain crunch, just outta curiosity what flies apart?  Ours is direct drive to the mandrel but want to make some changes.  We're looking at about 80 hp and 540 rpms, any suggestions?

captain_crunch

Take a look in my pics of my drive set up. PTO to arbor is the way they built em back then I have a jack shaft from arbor to PTO drive shaft and this with added bearing on arbor

Here is a pic
Brian
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

captain_crunch

Hope this helps you. My carrage runs off Hyd motor rather than the factory belt system. These critters are not over built on arbor bearins part

Birk-man

Hello Capt Crunch,

It's not clear from your photo if the lower pulley is attached to the mill frame or if it is completely separate?

It looks to me that the upper bearings on your mandrel shaft are supported by a frame that is connected to the mill track.  And I assume that there is some structure that resists the tension of the belts on the two pulleys.  That leads me to think that there is some structure that holds the two pulley shafts apart.  Do I have that right?

I see the tail end of a drive line that connects to the lower jack shaft pulley.  Does that isolate engine vibration from the mill frame?

I did not include the belts in my Sketchup model but the drawings I put in my earlier posts show the two pulleys and the shafts attached to the mill frame.  Also not shown is the drive line that would go between the engine and the smaller pulley on the jack shaft. 

What are the critical differences you see between your set up and what I am proposing?  I appreciate your insight since I am flying by the seat of my pants on this without much first-hand experience in this arena.

Peter

bandmiller2

The classic belsaw setup is with a PTO shaft with shear bolt from a farm tractor to the mill arbor,it works.An improvement is what Cappy Crunch has done for a couple of reasons,less angularity between tractor pto and arbor,and the option to run the saw at higher than 540 rpm.The belts also seem to smooth out the power.A handy trick to relieve stress on arbor shafts that extend belond the bearings is to mount pillow block bearings on the shafts and connect them with an adjustment such as threaded rod in a pipe where you can take much of the strain off the shafts and keep your belts tight.

paul case

the belsaw in the pic looks exectly like the one i had except my pto shaft was directly on  the arbor . factory made that way and with 5/15 shear pin set up. i dont recall any engine vibration or other problems with this set up except some models of tractors pto didnt turn fast enough to work right. i dont remember what speed the blade was stamped but my m farmall was horse enough to pull it but it didnt turn fast enough. the 930 case however turned a lil faster and never  ever slowed down in the cut . slowing the blade was the worst trouble i had with this set up. i would imagine that is why the fellas that was set up to saw a lot went to a big diesel negine. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

metljakt

One cure for engine vibrations at the point of contact is timeless..........install a flywheel. 

sandhills

Can anyone tell me what the optimum rpm for that saw is?  Ours is 540 pto but I would like to change the drive system and can re-gear it to what is right. thanks

captain_crunch

Pic don't show it well but we added a bearing to end of arbor shaft also pto drive has two bearings on belt pully. This was done because Mill sets 4 ft above tractor to make clean out below mill. Belts calm down vibration as well as add a slip factor but this mill has been altered by a feller that has run these mills for 50 years.

bandmiller2

Sandhills,theirs quite a range of rpm's your saw could be hammered for.As a general rule smaller saw can turn at higher rpm.High production modern mills use fast feeds and higher saw speed.More rpm's mean slightly more production but more saw maintenance mostly they need more tension.Belsaws of course are setup for 540 to match tractor pto rpm's that 40" blade could be tensioned to run at much higher speed like say 700/750,myself I wouldn't go that high.Unless your in a big hurry 600 rpm is a good speed and usally your saw hammered for 540 needs no retensioning to run at that speed.Best to ask your hammersmith.My own mill is a Chase the guy before me ran the 50" saw at 750 rpm with the diesel wide open,too fast for this old guy, dropped down to 600, engine at 1800 were boath happier now.I'am sure outhers here have an opinion on this matter,you won't turn a Belsaw into a high production mill but you can make minor improvements.Frank C.

sandhills

Thanks bandmiller2, not looking to turn it into a high production mill, just wonderin if anything needed changed.  We haven't set the mill up yet so now is the time to do any needed mods, I do like captain crunches drive set up and also would make it easy to run a hydraulic pump off of.  Ours has a 52" blade and with the tractor at an idle it seemed like it was really moving, don't care to speed anything up much! ;)

bandmiller2

Sandhills,what mill do you have I assumed it was a belsaw as thats what we were talking about.A 52" is a big saw 540 rpm would be a good speed to run at,if you can line it up with your tractor PTO try it.Frank C.

captain_crunch

My 42" don't like higher rpms I watch front of blade while cutting and adjust engine to get wabble out of it. I have a impovises throttle with cord to tractor which lets me idle tractor when rolling logs which cut my fuel usage by 40%

sandhills

bandmiller, to be honest I'm not sure what I have.  A couple of neighbors and I went together and bought the saw on an auction this spring more for hobby than anything else.  I was looking up sawmills on the internet a few weeks before the sale to see what we were getting into and found the FF.  The serial tag on the carriage is worn off to the point where I can't read it but after looking at the photos here I'm sure it's a belsaw.  I was thinking I read here before about a m-24 belsaw, can't tell for sure by the pics but I think ours is a little heavier than the 14's posted.  Have you ever seen one with hydraulics (log loader/turner) or are they built to light for that?  Right now it sits beside the shop so it would be easy to do all this before we get it set, however it is on wheels so we could pull it back over to make necessary changes.  Never put a tape to it but it took the full length of a semi flatbed to get it home including the log table.  I emailed fishpharmer pics of it maybe if I ask real nice I can get him to post them for me, I'm not real intelligent with the computer :)

paul case

the m14 i had was kinda light. the book said that if you have a log big enough that the first cut with the 40'' blade didnt cut all the way through that it should be taken off the mill to be turned. pc
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
pc

captain_crunch

This is how we turn logs so weight is not on carrage when dealing with bigger logs

Never filp cant against set works unless you like repairing things ;D ;D Also in the one pic you can see the 1/2X1/2 steel added to cross bars on carrage. This not only beefs up the carrage but cants slide easier on narrower surface

rpg52

Not to hijack this thread too much, but - Captain Crunch, how do you turn down the throttle remotely? 

I assume you are on one side of the track while your power source (tractor) is on the opposite side?  Do you use a bowden wire (like is used on chokes, back when most engines had carbs)?  Or, do you use cable and pulleys? 

I'm debating since my power source is a Detroit Diesel 3-71, and the throttle consists of a knob, not a lever like a tractor.
Thanks,
:)
Ray
Belsaw circle mill, in progress.

sandhills

rpg52, would it be possible to run a cable, say off an old straight truck that would engage the pto or hydraulics under the mill to your detriot? Don't know if it would be long enough, and I'm assuming your throttle knob runs a cable as our 671s do.  Wouldn't be too hard to build a little bracket within reach of the sawyer to mount the push/pull knob on.  Alright dang it now you guys got me thinking again, better go measure some more. ;D

rpg52

Sandhills,
The knob on my 3-71 is connected directly to the rack of injectors, no cable.  I've been thinking of drilling and tapping the knob to install a lever onto it.  I'd need a fairly long cable or wire - probably 8' or more to get from where I stand to the engine.  It could be done, just not easily.
Ray

bandmiller2

Ray,I've got an old Dagenham diesel on my mill,I just set the governor to the speed I want [1800 rpm] and hooked a cable run to the sawyers box from the lever on the side of the injection pump.I mounted a old time type parking brake control the type with the knob on top to adjust where I stand, basically an overcenter lever.You could also use an outboard motor remote control.A wire cable run through a couple of small pulleys is simple and trouble free.It is also good form to have a quick method to declutch the engine from where you stand

paul case

my neighbor used to power his circle mill with a detroit. he ran a cable thru a couple pulleys and to a homemade wooden haandle nailed on the side of the mandrel housing. he  called it his wooptydo stick.   pc
pc

captain_crunch

My throttle is kinda a spider web lash up ;D ;D I have a clamp that hooks to hand throttle on tractor and with about 4 small pullys and 60 ft of 1/4 in nylon rope with a weight in end of each where I can reach up to grab them.  Kinda crude but it works.
I don't know where you would look but the old Terex scrapers had a 453 detroit in rear so they had to have a cable long enough to reach to it from front,
Another thought is to un thread knob and weld a chain link to a piece of square stock tapped to same thread as knob. A spring on linkage strong enough to pull throttle shut(as to only need one cable not to mention a fault in cable would shut er down)
Then one of them ratchet parking brake critters like the VWs use to have. My only concern would be is if it has enough travel to opperate throttle without haveing to fab a lever to get more pull ??? ???

rpg52

I'll have to look at the assembly of the knob again.  I seem to have spent the last few years trying to fab up various assemblies to allow remote control of the engine - I just got a cord set up to pull off the clutch - still haven't gotten anything for throttle control - meanwhile I've been building a sawdust drag - should be pretty cool if it goes as planned.  It will elevate the sawdust out the end of the track and dump into a trailer.  Taking a lot of back of the envelope engineering though.  It seems that I'll be working away on this thing for a while longer.  Only been plugging away for ~6 years, no sense rushing now.
8)
Ray

Tripp

I used a tractor pto cable to remotely control the carb on my engine. When I pull the red knob, in the left side of the picture, it overides the governor and throttles the engine back to idle. I also have a key switch, from tracton supply, that I start the engine with and can shut it down if necessary. I also mounted a tach in the sawyers box so I can tell what the engine is doing while I am sawing. I have found this very helpful.  My dust chain is also controlled from the sawyers box so it can be turned on and off when necessary. It is run with a 110v motor and a reduction box.

I believe tractor pto cables can be purchased up to about 15 feet in length.

Tripp

Stan snider

Cap C;  Your Terex idea made me think about using a trailer brake valve out of a semi tractor and an air pot or cylinder.  iIf compressed air was handy it would be easy to rig up , unlimited length and could go anywhere. Terex uses air controls on the rear engine. Stan

Birk-man

Hi all,

As long as this thread has moved in the direction of remote engine controls - here is a photo of what I plan to use for the clutch and throttle on my setup.  They were saved off a rusty old farm implement.

I'm thinking that the throttle and clutch will have springs that return them to disengaged and idle unless the levers are pulled and locked in the notches.  It would be really sweet to have the two engine RPMs I'm shooting for to get 540 and 600 for the blade speed to fall in separate notches.  That'll take some fine-tuning down the road.

The air-cooled Deutz came with a Tach, head temp gauge, oil temp gauge and an oil pressure (idiot) light.  Think I'll be able to mount them all near the control levers at the sawyer's station.

Peter

sandhills

Stan the air control sounds neat, and would be simple to do but seems like it may be hard to fine tune?  Please let us know how it turns out if you go that route. 
rpg52, our mills previous owner used an old grain elevator for the sawdust, we'll probably do the same as I have few sitting around.  Wouldn't be hard to customize one for the purpose and drive it off the mills power source, however I have no idea if any of these could be located anywhere near you.  Around here they're pretty common and usually just bring iron price at auction.       

Chico

You could use a lovejoy coupling to dampen your vibrations also
My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

rpg52

Sandhill,
Unfortunately I'm not in farm country, and would have to travel a long ways to find any elevators.  Where I grew up there was lots of that stuff, but here, not so much.  I'll be an expert at building a sawmill by the time I get done with all the design stuff.
:)
Ray

bandmiller2

Air or electric solenoids can be used to throttle up the engine,but they tend to snap the throttle open.That may or may not be A problem but I prefer to bring the RPM's up a little slower.If the throttle is located in a handy location you won't be tempted to leave the engine and saw at high RPM when your turning and dogging.Frank C.

sandhills

bandmiller 2, that was what I was wondering about.  Does anyone know of a way to regulate the pressure so that it takes the snap out of it and speeds up/ slows down gradually.  Stan Snider's idea of the trailer brake valve would be perfect but what holds the throttle where you want it after you let go of the valve lever?

bandmiller2

Sandhills,I would think a adjustable restriction like a needle valve in the air circuit would slow the throttle bump up.Frank C.

Stan snider

Sandhills:   Some trailer hand valves will stay right where you leave them, and have  very smoothe air regulation throughout their range. They start at nothing and go to tank pressure as the lever makes its stroke. After I first posted it occured to me that I have one down in the weeds that is probably OK and an air actuated vice could be built as well. I have a couple of air cylinders so maybe it's time to get to engineering. Stan

captain_crunch

The Terex setup would be Ideal beings it was allready a throttle. But the parking brake Idea with return spring might be safer in long run. But if you use air get a paint gun regulator and you can set flow as desired

Thank You Sponsors!