iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is this blade a "throw-away"?

Started by D._Frederick, November 08, 2003, 07:51:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D._Frederick

I was finishing sawing up a 28 inch swell butt fir cant today with a blade that was getting to the dull side. On the last  cut , I noticed that there was a pitch seam that the "depression era people" would split out of there fire wood and throw behind the woodshed because they were afraid of burning there house down.  Any way, I opened up the water/detergent mix and went for it, when I  hit the seam, all I could see was steam and smoke, the blade was almost to hot to touch. Since I don't have a Rockwell-C hardness tester, I am wondering if my first time to use WoodMaster C blade is a  throw-away.

Tom

Naw!  Doubt you hurt a thing.  It happens to me all the time. That pitch will send the blade in all kinds of directions. :D

Next time play with the water rather than immediately going to a full flood and you might find a combination that will cut it.

A dulling blade certainly puts you at a major disadvantage though. :D

solidwoods

D.
If you could re-group and cut the wood with pitch in it, it has a value.  Some people call it Fatlighter or fatwood or richpine , and use it to start fire.  
I use it in some of the furniture that I build.
If you can cut the wood into 1/4" slices, I would like to purchase some.
I cut it when I come to it, but we only find it in the Oldie but goodies (or arround metal :'()
JIM
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

Fla._Deadheader

I wasn't gonna bother postin this, but, y'all know how I been braggin on Suffolk Blades. Y'all also know that I have had all kinds of trouble sawing SYP.
  When we had the "Southern" get together, in Ga. a few weeks back, my son was talkin to the Munksforsager dealer, from Kenne-Saw, Ga. Ed got the guy to send a free blade to try.
  This past week, we were at the log camp and trying to finish the 16' SYP logs for the camp owner. These logs had turned white on the ends, where the sap had completely covered the ends of the logs. We bobbed off an inch from each end and started sawing.
  Usually, we get about 3-4 of these logs per blade, IF we are careful and lucky. These logs are HARD. Knots are tough to saw straight through.
  We started sawing with the "Monkey" blades, and could barely hear the blade sing. We ended up sawing 14 of these logs, with the same blade. During the day, it started raining and the electronics board would only work in "full-blow", lets go !!
  When that happened (twice) the blade actually stalled the engine and was jammed and twisted. Figgered that was the end of the blade.  NOPE !!!  We worked it back out of the cut and checked it REAL careful, and went on sawing VERY true lumber.
  We finally changed the blade and put on a NEW Suffolk. 2 logs and it was wavy and really singing. We thought about sawing 1 more day and putting the "monkey" blade on, but, instead, packed up and came home.
  I ordered 5 more of the "Monkey" blades, to be sure we were not dreaming. Everything on the saw was the same adjustments as with Suffolk blades. The only thing we did was add a wire brush, to scrape the sawdust from the upper side of the blade.  1 more thing, there was NO compacted sawdust left on the cant, after each board was removed.  ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

smwwoody

Hey Deadheader where can I get one of these blades to try?

Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

Fla._Deadheader

All truth passes through three stages: