iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another viburnum ? No; chokecherry

Started by sprucebunny, August 31, 2010, 08:07:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprucebunny

I have this clump where 3 bushes with bunches of berries are growing.

The wild raisin we talked about in another thread is easy to seperate because the berries are slightly elongated and kind of dusty like a blueberry is.

Cranberry tree has maple-like leaves so I have that sorted.

Here's the third one.

I think it is called nannyberry because the crushed wood smells like goats ( I didn't test this ...)
There was an article about it in Northern Woodlands this month.

Is it edible ?
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

SwampDonkey

Chokecherry Prunus virginiana, fruit on racemes like black cherry. Ever eat chokecherry jelly? ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sprucebunny

Thanks, Swampdonkey.

Nope, never had that kind of jelly and don't think I want to !

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

thecfarm

Sugar can make anything taste good. Wife made a dozen jars this year. As kids my Father and his sisters would eat the berries right off the tree.You lost the game if you made a face.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Sprucebunny, chokecherry jelly isn't one of my concoctions so it's a little safer. :D It's been made in these parts for eons. The cherries are dry in your mouth fresh picked, just like wild black cherries.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Sprucegum

Chokecherries also make a mighty fine wine  8)  8)

SwampDonkey

I might try some chokecherry juice (shrub). ;D

Yoopersaw

Wine and jelly are actually good.  Eating them off the tree, not worth the effort.

Coon

Chokecherries get sweeter once the berries have been frozen.  We make wine, syrup and jelly from chokecherries.  ;D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

SwampDonkey

nas

Hey, It's a long cold winter up there :D
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Thank You Sponsors!