iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

skidder problems

Started by nblogger, August 31, 2010, 06:16:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nblogger

Has anyone here ever had a transmission apart in a 664b clark skidder? This is the two speed one with high and low,i lost first gear....pretty sure it's the clutch pack but want to no if  i have to pull the tranny or not.

bushmechanic

I have rebuilt the three speed Clark tranies and I think your best bet is to get some service information on that unit.Before you pull it out you should get some pressure gauges and see what what pressures you have on applied clutches to pinpoint your trouble,might be a valve problem.

oldseabee

What are the symptoms? take pressures to make sure that it is mechanical and not hydraulic problem. 1st gear slipping? both hi and low range? Drain some oil, look for metal, some sparkle is normal bigger pieces are not. Cut open filter, look for a lot of clutch material, bronze. Is there clunking noise when engaging 1st gear?
Front cover of trans supports all the front clutch shafts, almost impossible to reassemble vertically since the clutch assys will droop, making it a real challenge to get them all lifted to line up when installing the front cover..
I have shop manual for 2420 transmission, it says trans should be flat to work on it. Highly reccomend pulling trans to work on it, not as difficult as you think, pull seat and seat plate, heavy chain tight around canopy, hang chain hoist from chain, lift trans up and then use engine hoist to capture it and pull it out the door. Other option is pull canopy and use shop crane or loader to pull trans.

nblogger

Thanks for the replies,i know that the clutch pack for first gear is toast (i had been slipping once in a while) i just needed to know if it could be changed on the machine...everyone i haved asked say it has to come out.

Thank You Sponsors!