iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help / Info. about M14 Belsaw

Started by KjBarnwood, August 30, 2010, 03:32:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KjBarnwood

I am looking to get a circle mill, I have a B-20 I will be selling soon, ... more than I need... long story.

Anyway, I have a chance at a M14 Belsaw "Farm Mill"  but it is only the hardware, carriage, blade and ?? for a few hundred bucks.

I was hoping on getting a mill and building a steel frame etc., but I don't know anything about this model of mill.  Will I need too much more to make this worth a few hundred?  Should I look for a more complete mill?  Different model?

Also can I use a gas truck engine to run it, or does it have to be diesel?  I have access to a really good engine repairer / rebuilder... definitely not me. : ;)

I am planning on occasional use / light production.

Be gentle.

paul case

a lot of those ran off a tractor pto. gas engines will work . it must turn the blade the right speed. a lot of those m14's were sold as a kit . many had a wooden base and there were some made onto an old trailer frame.  some m14's had the sawshaft mounted in the cariage track so they were one piece. i wish i had kept the old books i had with mine so i could pass them along to you. they gave instructions on track size length and where to put supports as well as how far the blade needed to be from the track.. sawmill-exchange.com has some pics of them. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

KjBarnwood

Thanks Paul.

After reading more they say that it is a smaller sawmill or a light sawmill...  Is it possible to beef it up?  Bigger and stronger track?  Bigger motor?  What makes it such a small mill?  Is it not able to handle larger logs or not as fast?

Kj

bandmiller2

KJ,the Belsaw is an entrance level circular mill,and pretty much the minimum circular you can cut with.Not putting them down alot of the guys here run them.If your not in a great hurry look around,in this economy theirs deals to be had on much heavier mills.A big problem with automotive gas engines is the lack of a governor,and wile they have "book" horse power they lack torque.If you decide on a belsaw one of the best power units is a big old tractor,as its located behind the mill and the PTO turns the right direction.For sure you'll get more advice,best I can say is don't rush into it theirs alot out there. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

pasbuild

Don't discount this mill for your intended use (I am planning on occasional use / light production.) The M14 was the first mill that I had and it did just what you intend to do, it is quite simple in design and therefor EZ to work on. I fixed up mine on an old mobile home frame and made it portable with an old M/M mounted overhead for power, not the best setup but it cut wood.
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

captain_crunch

Take a gander at my gallery wwith my M-14 Bellsaw
Brian
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Joe Lallande

Do a search for Oliver diesel engine and you will see my Belsaw hook up.  I ran my mill for a year with a 35 HP diesel tractor and a drive shaft. The tractor was at it limits with a large log.  With my 40" blade, I am able to cut almost anything.  The limit is what I can pick up and slide on the mill.  I recently had several 20" x 10' oak logs dropped off and I had to split them in half with a chain saw to move them onto the mill.  Contact Mark or Matt at Timberking.  They sent me copies of the orginial Belsaw installation and parts manual.  Timberking has a limited supply of Belsaw parts and they are very easy to deal with. My Belsaw came with a solid frame and axle.  Find a good scrap yard for the steel beams or a mobile home trailer frame and get to work. I can email you additional picture of my mill.  Good luck.

jimparamedic

Just remember the more teeth the more power you need I use a short tooth every other tooth works great

rpg52

Kj,
One of the differences between a Belsaw and others is the weight of the carriage, etc.  You can't drop logs on it without damage.  If you plan to cut much, it would be worth finding a heavier mill.  If you are just doing it occasionally, the Belsaw should be ok.  If I did it again, I might not do it, the costs are almost the same for a heavier mill, but the up front cost is lower and you can pay as you build.  How soon do you plan to start cutting?  I've been plugging away for years and am not done yet.  Lots of other things getting in the way though.
Ray
Belsaw circle mill, in progress.

KjBarnwood

Thanks for the help everyone!  I'm not in a huge hurry so I think I'm going to try and find a frick.

The Belsaw was / is very tempting for $500 - kit, but I know I can be very hard on equipment, so better safe than sorry.

What would be a good price / deal for a Frick.  I know depends on condition, but...  I was offered one for $8,000 included cat power unit and edger.  They sounded like it would need work the edger - no name brand - and the mill is in fiar to good condition.  I thought that was a bit too much... was it???

Anyone know anything about "American" brand sawmills?

Kj

bandmiller2

KJ,8000 I think is too much you can do better, thats the old price before band and swing mills became available,they have driven the value of handset circular mills way down.American mills are good mills and popular in your neighborhood.In many areas you almost have to give away an old handset circular mill,their value depends on what you get.A good mill that is under cover and in use with all the goodies and good headsaw/s is worth much more than a rusty long idle mill in a caved in shed.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!