iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone worked Bloodwood before?

Started by locustoak, August 29, 2010, 09:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

locustoak

Anyone ever used Bloodwood on a project before?  I'm getting plans together to do a project out of bloodwood.  However, it looks like I will need to purchase the lumber online since noone around carries it.

I was wondering what your results were after working with it?  Is it difficult to work?  Any tips?  How about the color - does it have a variety of colors, or are all pieces about the same?

Tom

Someone might have but I know no one.   It's a wood grown in S. America or two species of Eucalyptus in Australia.  Perhaps one of the Australian woodworkers can tell you something about it.

I think I would be looking to substitute a local wood, rather than stick with the import.  It would have to be a lot cheaper.

ScottAR

Seems I remember the feller in FL that made guitars used some inlay bloodwood but I can't remember any other details...
What happened to him anyway?
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

pigman

I have worked some bloody wood before. The blood was only on the surface, so I suppose that wouldn't count.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Tom

QuoteWhat happened to him anyway?

That would be member Getoverit.  He moved to Tenn.

metalspinner

It is very hard and prone to burn marks if you send it through a drum sander or route the edges.  But if worked carefully it is beautiful.  Just be careful about generating too much heat while working the wood. 

One other thing that popped up on me while working was splitting while routing.  If you have to route against the grain make several light cuts.  The wood is too expensive to take chances on a heavy cut.

My experience with the wood is limited to two "flat" projects and lots of small turnings.  One of the flat projects was a checker board.  The bloodwood was used as a divider strip between the maple and mahogany squares.  Because of the hardness differential of the three species, careful sanding was needed not to oversand the softer mahogany.  That's where the drum sander really paid off.  But the feed speed had to be quick and the depth setting had to very light so as not to overheat the bloodwood.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

jim king

I have produced and worked with a lot of Bloodwood over the years.  It is quite easy to work with.  There is a company that sells a lot on Ebay and at reasonable prices.  Here is his name and address.  I would assume if you tell him you want all the blood red he would do it as he has a good record on Ebay.

Exotic Woods Of The World
PO Box 134
120 Henderson St
Middleton, TN 38052
731-212-1694

Burlkraft

Jim.....you got the best wood of all of us here combined  8)  8)  8)

That's some awesome lookin' stuff  ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

jim king

Burlkraft:

QuoteJim.....you got the best wood of all of us here combined

And here it is used for charcoal and firewood.

ljmathias

Here's a stupid question: how did you turn that parrot- as part of the base or did you carve it freehand?  Looks so lifelike! ???

Anyone know where I can get African blackwood?  My daughter's a piper and apparently that's what they use for the drones and breath tubes, all those black arms sticking out of some poor dead goat's hide.  Anyway, finally got a lathe and been showing the grandson how to turn- he seems to really like it so I'm hoping to build his interest to make stuff his mother could use in her profession.

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

metalspinner

LJ,

This supplier has a nice selection, but I'm unsure whether or not he has what you need...

http://www.cormarkint.com/index.html

He also supplies the local Woodcraft store.  His retail prices look to be the same as Woodcraft's so it might be just as easy to walk in and pick it up.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

fiddle1

ive worked bloodwood before.

because of its wear resistance it made a nice wood plane.

The only thing:  it is very damaging to bandsaw blades and prone to burning. 

The dust is very fine red powder and can cause inhalation trouble in a confined room.

it doesnt take finishes very well either.

Thank You Sponsors!