iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking for Detroit 3-53 information

Started by madmari, August 29, 2010, 08:55:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madmari

I recently bought an old ('68) IH S7 skidder with a Detroit. I am getting it ready for work and need to change out all of the fluids.
  Question is, I'd really like to know what the oil capacity of the crankcase is. What type oil for fall/winter?

Also what viscosity grease for the differentials?

I'd like to put on a tachometer so as not to over work the engine. I understand the Detroit is a two stroke. What operates the tach? Where would I get info on Detroits? The internet seems void of any free info.

Sure would appreciate any help. I am nervous about maintenance- a major breakdown will sink my boat.

I know why dogs stick thier head out the car window.

Mark K

Some 3-53's had different size pans. I know mine is different from my friends Tree farmer.
Mines a little over 3 gallons. They tell you to run straight weight oil, sae 30. I run 15w-40 rotella t with no problems. Should be 80-90 in Diff. Detroits have all there power wide open. They tend to wet stack if you don't run them hard. I have all the service manuals for 53 and 71 series engines. My father was a detriot mechanic for 25 years. if you have any tech questions, pm me, I'll look them up till you find manuals.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

tlandrum

the tach drives off the back of the cam ,i think ,ill have to check the one on my knuckle boom tommorrow
www.wickedworksaw.com
wickedworksaw@gmail.com
Husqvarna and jonsered dealer
chainsaw porting for high production work saws

treefarmer87

i use 80-90 in my diff, 15w-40 for the motor.
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Randy88

Theres a place in Des Moines Iowa that handles all the detroit diesel stuff and can get whatever you need just make sure you have the serial number of the engine and they have all the specs and capacities you need,  800-348-3062, I can't remember but I'm sure they are a nationwide dealer for detroits and have been really helpfull on mine and it doesn't matter what its in they seem to know about them and can answer questions for you.  They all leak oil and only have power at full throttle so don't worry about overworking the engine or overrevving it either thats the only way they run is with their tongue hanging out and full bore, I think thats right about the sender on the back of the cam, mines  been broke since before I got it and the throttles either wide open or at idle, keep either handy in cold weather and let it huke and puke until it gets warm and wear hearing protection.

sandhills

Randy 88 has it down pat, just don't forget the floordry!  I'm not much of an older detriot fan (we have three of them) but to be honest they are a good starting/running engine, but don't be afraid to open her up and let her go!!  They're pretty simple to work on also, other than timing the racks might want to refer to Mark K for that ;D

madmari

Thanks for the responses! Really appreciate your help.
I watched a loader the other day loading my logs with a detroit and he had the thing screaming. Guess that sounds OK to do.
I've started a logging business and as you all know, the profit margin is pretty thin. At first, if I had blown a saw it would have ruined me. Things have gone well so far, but I'm still nervous about equipment breakdowns. It does put good maintenance in perspective!

Skiddah

My 350 Timberjack has a 3-53 Detroit in it.  If it's not at idle, I've got that old Detroit screaming on the pin, and it loves every minute of it.  :D  An older logger up my way told me a long time ago, "If you're Detroit ain't leaking, shut her off, she's gonna blow!"   ;D  All Detroits leak, just think of it as a way to keep everything lubricated.  As far as maintenance is concerned, don't feel like you need to reinvent the wheel so to speak.  Keep an eye on your fluids obviously.  As I was stating before, oil is one you want to check religiously.  Keep your skidder packed with grease, oil and water in it, and fill all your snares with nice wood!  Good luck to you.

Mark K

There not bad to work on once you understand them. Setting the rack can be a royal pain in the butt. After doing a dozen or so, it's not that bad :D. Hopefully you won't ever have to do one. Run fuel additive in it also. There not use to low sulphur diesel. I use power service in the white bottle and haven't had trouble yet. Good luck.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

mr T

Good idea to change all rubber fuel lines This new fuel eats them up Cant go wrong with rotella oil either Good Luck

sandhills

Rotella is a good oil, there ia also a low ash engine oil designed ecspecially for 2 strokes.  I get mine through our local international dealer.  The other thing about them screamin like that, on a 2stroke 2000 rpm always sounded to me like it was turnin about 20000  :D :D :D

furltech

Well when i first got my detroit in april ,everyone said make it scream and it would work better and that it would leak oil steady .well everyone was right .lol

Maine372

the throttle on a drip-troit has two positions; yes and no. i recently worked with a manlift on a timberjack 240 chassis. the engine wasnt ever over 1200rpms, poor motor was bored. the exhaust caught fire one day because the stack had so much oil in it. the mechanic refered to it as sweating power.

carefull with that s7. they are notoriously tippy.

madmari

Thanks for the heads up. I did put in a seatbelt from the parts machine for the seatrials. From what I've read here the Detroit needs a Rotella IV in her jugular, so I'll keep an eye on the level.

Skiddah

My 3-53 uses no more than half a gallon of rotella a week.  Nothing too absurd if you ask me.  Keeping an eye on it really shouldn't consist any more than checking the oil level every morning.  Detroits leak slow and steady, you're not going to pump out the entire crankcase over the course of a shift.
I can't really tell from the thumbnail on your profile, do you have 18.4x34 tires on your skidder or do you have the larger 23.1x26 tires on it?

madmari

grassfed

Detroit 2 strokes 53s, 71, and 92s are supposed to run single wt 30 or 40 (50 in really hot climates with an old motor). 40 is preferred and low ash means less than 1%. The oil should have the designation CF-2 on the label. That means it is good for 2 stroke Detroit diesels. The 6v53 in my truck

runs best on 40 wt and it uses much less oil than when I run 30. I used 30 last winter but this year I am going to try to stay with 40 and preheat the block and oil..
Mike

madmari

Thanks Grassfed~
  Mine smokes like an inmate on death row. Normal?

See you're in Brownington. I'm in Fairfax, west of you. Looks like you do clean work- nice.

Where'd you market the aspen? I just cut a pile of it, some of which was nice stuff. The owner sold it, I got paid hourly to cut and skid.

bushmechanic

If she is smoking bad you had better check your air filter and also the debris screen in the blower intake.If those Detroits get a plugged up air filter they will suck that hard to run that they will pull engine oil along by the oil seals in the blower making her smoke bad.Also maybe bad injectors.

treefarmer87

i was running mine wide open 2day dragging big tree length poplar out of a dried up swamp. Couldn't get no better than that ;)
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

John Woodworth

The Detroit is generaly governed for 2800rpm and you do not want to lug it or you can suck a liner, they are not ment to be idled for extened periods of time or else the air box will load up there ment tho use as much throttle as nessesary to do the job bet that doesend mean wide open, just keep your rpms up when under load.

I personaly wouldn't run Rotella in a whell barrow in a pig farm after having motors apart that used it but to each his own, I use Chevron Dello 40 in everything I own, don,t use multi- vis every oun will brag about using it but is not recomended by Detroit, too cold to start on 40 go to 30.

Dello 400 is a universal deisel oil very high in detergency and is ment to meet JD,Cat ,Detroit,Case, Mack all the deisel engine specks although the true grade for Detroit would be Dello 100 which is ment it sludge somewhat, I've never run it, my engines are tight, use no oil and are clean inside.

As mentioned before check the Blower screen, allso if there is excess traces of oil on the front and rear plates of the blower means the seals are leaking, also check the air box drain, if plugged will cause it to use oil.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

sandhills

If it is smoking bad, defitinetly check air intake first.  Two of ours still have oil bath intakes (there old) even those can plug and make them smoke/reduce power drastically.  They're a good old engine but as stated many times before really loud and really dirty!

Thank You Sponsors!