iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

dumb stuff

Started by Kedwards, August 29, 2010, 04:22:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kedwards

Yesterday while sawing I was changing out the blade and had to replace the blade on the woodmizer. I did my normal "throw the blade in the direction away from you to not get injured unraveling" picked it up and at that point have to turn the blade inside out to make it travel properly on the woodmizer. In front of the customer and of course not wearing my chaps to protect my shins rotated the blade and it hopped over my shoe and hit me in the shin puncturing a small vein..It squirted blood 2 feet on to the customer shoes and on the ground. I stop the bleeding and all is fine but this definitely set my mind to safety over staying cool. It freaked out the customer too which should help in the mystique department how dangerous sawing can be.

Anyway.. My bone head move from being careless
His thoughts tumbled in his head, making and breaking alliances like socks in a dryer without cling free

kelLOGg

The Forestry Forum is a good, safe and supportive place to confess our mistakes. It's admirable that you chose to do so. I know mistakes (I lost the tip of a finger in a sprocket/chain :-[) have been my best teacher. There is info on the FF as to how to coil/uncoil and reverse bands - use the search function. I'm not very smooth at it yet but good enough for me.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

fishpharmer

Kedwards, I doubt there is a person with a bandsaw that hasn't had some sort of "band" injury. I've had a few minor scrapes, no spurting blood yet.  It could happen real quick.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Dave Shepard

I have a cut that runs the length of each finger on my right hand right now from a band incident.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

maple flats

You guys with band mills would be wise to wear kevlar gloves to handle them. Us swingbladers don't have the issue with a blade with a mind of it's own.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Kedwards

Quote from: maple flats on August 29, 2010, 07:30:54 PM
You guys with band mills would be wise to wear kevlar gloves to handle them. Us swingbladers don't have the issue with a blade with a mind of it's own.

I run a swinger as well.
His thoughts tumbled in his head, making and breaking alliances like socks in a dryer without cling free

Dan_Shade

anything sharp (and somethings that aren't supposed to be) can cut flesh.

I fold and unfold my .045 gloves without gloves.  It keeps me on my toes :-)

Be safe out there.

Dan
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

bandmiller2

We've all been band bit,just embarasing in front of visitors.I think your safer pulling the hair on a tasamanian devel's $ss than uncoiling coiled bands.Yea I know theirs a way to do it.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Dave Shepard

My favorite technique is the "toss it on the lawn as far away as you can".  :D I've never done it, I've only been a witness.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

terrifictimbersllc

When in shorts and not wearing gloves, grab the blade tightly in the gullets, with the teeth facing you, then flip it.  Also close your eyes tight.  Not that I would recommend doing this however.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

sandhills

Gotta say first I've never been around a band mill, but just reading what you guys are sayin I'm feelin a whole lot more comfy snugglin up beside that 52 incher on my circle mill :D :D :D :D

Banjo picker

IMO that throwing the bands is for the birds....mine are over 17' long and I have never thrown one and don't plan on it...no need to.....it is wise to wear gloves esp. with a newly sharpened band.  If I can handle it without gloves, I might need to send it around another time on the sharpener....Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Kedwards

Quote from: Banjo picker on August 29, 2010, 09:22:02 PM
IMO that throwing the bands is for the birds....mine are over 17' long and I have never thrown one and don't plan on it...no need to.....it is wise to wear gloves esp. with a newly sharpened band.  If I can handle it without gloves, I might need to send it around another time on the sharpener....Tim

I have done this probably 500 times without an injury. The only injury is from my stupidity in wearing shorts and having to reverse the way the band blade came packaged from the manufacturer.

Care to share how you un-package your 17' band blades? I posted as a cautionary tale to use safety equipment and don't get lax. I  would never have these things unwind near me or my throat.

Kedwards

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on August 29, 2010, 08:59:04 PM
When in shorts and not wearing gloves, grab the blade tightly in the gullets, with the teeth facing you, then flip it.  Also close your eyes tight.  Not that I would recommend doing this however.

Were you hiding in the weeds saturday?   :D

Cedarman

When inverting a blade, start with the teeth toward you so that when the bottom flips up over your shoe the flat side hits your leg and leaves a mark, but not a hole.
I have uncoiled so many blades that it seems second nature.  I have never used gloves and can't remember getting cut.  Like riding a bicycle, after a while you just do it without thinking how you do it.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

woodmills1

I did the 045 blades no gloves shorts no shoes

the ones for the 70 at 1.5 inch .055"  gloves long pants eyeware
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Dan_Shade

I only wear gloves when temperature dictates it.

I put my fingers into the gullets and hold onto the blad with my thumbs.  I have a video on youtube on how to fold and unfold blades.  It isn't hard after you learn how to do it.  I recommend learning while using a long lawnmower belt or something like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btOSZNjWMyk 

(never mind my 10 and 1 (should be 10 and 2) being backwards, I didn't want to record it again!

p.s.

Uncoordinated people, please disregard my video and comments.  I've gotten quite a bit of email scolding me for not wearing gloves, not wearing safety glasses, and apparently some folks find it offensive that I'm not a sissy :).   These things are potentially dangerous, but pretty tame if you know what you're doing.

This was with a .045 band.  I've been told the .055 blades are much more difficult to bend.

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Kedwards

Thanks..

This is helpful..

Be safe.. wear the right equipment and do it right.

Banjo picker

Quote from: Kedwards on August 29, 2010, 09:40:55 PM
Quote from: Banjo picker on August 29, 2010, 09:22:02 PM

I have done this probably 500 times without an injury. The only injury is from my stupidity in wearing shorts and having to reverse the way the band blade came packaged from the manufacturer.

Care to share how you un-package your 17' band blades? I posted as a cautionary tale to use safety equipment and don't get lax. I  would never have these things unwind near me or my throat.

That video of Dan will have to suffice for now as I don't even do pic. little less video...I will say that it is easier to learn on the .041 or .042 bands than the .050 or bigger bands that are out there now...esp the coiling part....Thanks Dan....Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Dan_Shade

You can also "start the bend" by pressing the "top" of the band against something instead of snapping it.  I often use a tire or a log to break a band over, rather than snap it.  If I have an unruly customer, I snap it, and make a comment about having anatomy that is tougher than a sharp knife  :)

tazz

Another way to coil the blade is by holding the blade in front of you with one side touching the ground. Put your foot on the part touching the ground and with your hand grasping the top side, twist your wrist 360 degrees.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ulfhm0wiKbk

Okrafarmer

I'll probably wear gloves until I learn to do it, then I will try to do without, since gloves are a pain in the hand, and imo, I am usually safer without gloves than with in most circumstances. There are a few exceptions, and I have taken to wearing one glove while changing chain saw chains, especially on Husqvarna's and climbing saws.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Dan_Shade

does anybody know how to fold the small 1/4" bands into the 6 rings? 

Thank You Sponsors!