iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

lombardini diesel on lt40 opinions

Started by barbender, August 29, 2010, 11:27:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbender

I'm looking at a LT40 Super that has a lombardini 40 horse on it. I searched the forum for opinions, seems to be positive overall. I was just wondering if anyone else has any experience with these engines.
Too many irons in the fire

Magicman

Yup, the turbo version is on my mill and it has about 5400 hours on it.  I say about because the previous owner replaced the hour meter.  Bob, the traveling WM service technician said that proper service was the key.  He also said that most folks that had trouble with that engine had neglected them.  I change the oil and filter every 125 hours.

I had the valves adjusted at 2680 hours, and the timing belt replaced at 4150 hours.  My shop said that there was no evidence that either needed to be done.

Since I only do mobile sawing, there is no way to plug it up during the Winter.  It has glow plugs, so NO start fluid is allowed.  When the thermometer drops below freezing, it takes several attempts to start it.

If I had to replace it, I would put another Lombardini on it.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

LeeB

I was told that there was a problem with the fuel rack on some of them and lombardini wasn't too good about honoring their warrenty so WM changed over. Mine has 1500hrs on it or more and no problems so far, at least none that weren't self inflicted.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Magicman

??  I do know that when the fuel exits the "primer pump", it is all internal.  No exposed injector pump, fuel lines, or injectors.  To me, this would seem to make any fuel related problems harder to service/repair.   Is that a problem ??  Maybe so, maybe not.  I really don't know.

As I stated above, if I had to replace the engine, it would be with another Lombardini, if they are still available.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

LeeB

Not dissing the engine, just repeating what i was told by one of the reps.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

D._Frederick

Talking to WM rep about 10 years ago said that this engine has a weak lower unit because of the blower.

Magicman

LeeB,  I agree with you that there are/could be fuel issues, and as I said, it's all hidden/internal.  WM's Bob told me that if I ever started "gaining" engine oil, that there probably was an internal fuel leak.

Quote from: D._Frederick on August 29, 2010, 07:55:58 PMTalking to WM rep about 10 years ago said that this engine has a weak lower unit because of the blower. 

??  What is this?

MartyParsons

Lombardini is owned by Kohler. Kohler purchased them a few year ago. Parts should be available through Kohler Dealers and Wood-Mizer.
The cam is driven buy a belt. If the belts fails the engine is gone. Not saying it is a poor design but if you dont service the belt the engine will fail. Injector lines are internal. The very first years with WM they had some issues. I was not around doing service then but I heard some stories. I would say if it is running now it passed the test. Glow plugs are needed even if it is warm. I have replaced two engine since I started in 2002. I have adjusted timing and valves and replaced a few timing belts. The bolts that hold the ground will give the engine starting issues if it gets loose or corrodes. It is mounted through the fuel filter.
I would say it will be ok. The 30 hp is non turbo and the 40 hp is turbo. I have one of each in the shop for repairs to other than the engine. The 40 hp has over 4000 hours and starts and runs fine.
Hope this helps.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Magicman

:) :) :)  Thanks Marty.  Not just for expertly answering our questions, but for being here when we need you.

Barbender, based on Marty's post I would not let the engine keep me from buying the mill.  Then based on the engine's hours, I would set up my valve adjusting and timing belt replacement schedule.

(As a side note, many of today's engines, including the one in my Tundra, will self destruct if the timing belt breaks.)

D._Frederick

I mind be wrong on the time, it was when WM switch from the Lomb. engine. I was told that the turbo charged engines were having failures with the crank shaft from the increased combustion pressures.

NMFP

One thing I do with my Lombardini is always add fuel supplement to the tank at every refuling.  This eliminates alot of hesitation and also makes the mill run smoother.  If I run just plain off road diesel, it performs the worst.  if I run highway diesel and fuel supplement, it runs like a brand new machine.  My engine has approx 3200 hours on it but proper maintenance is key.  always check and change oil and filter, change fuel filters ofter, (2x per year), clean air filters evrry day and it runs great.

Nothing wrong with a lombardini.  I have an excavator with the same engine and it has over 8500 hours on it without a rebuild yet.

:)

Thank You Sponsors!