iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Do hornet's nests predict winter severity ?

Started by sprucebunny, August 28, 2010, 07:06:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprucebunny

There has been a hornet's nest next to my mill all summer. I thought it was yellowjackets in the ground or sawdust but I guess not  :D

This box is only about 16" tall so the entrance to the nest was 7-8 inches off the ground.

I love winter and sincerely hope that the wivestale about the height of hornet nests predicting the snowfall is a myth  :o

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

SwampDonkey

Nice to here them tales, but I never gave them much thought. :D I'm sure there will be lots of snow, and early. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

isawlogs

:D :D :D
I hope not , I saw one today that is at the end of a colvert in the ditch , so that would make it below grade ...  ::) Not much snow there .  :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

isawlogs

I was talking with My daughter Andrea this evening. She informed me that they need to take the wooden covers off the Septic tanks as they would be coming around to empty them this coming week .....  Well guess what is under the cover , four inch space by 2foot square bee nest . She mandated her boyfriend and he got one of his friends to help out  :D :D :D  They managed to open it and get the nest out with out to much damage  :D :D
  So that makes two that I know of below grade ...  :D :D :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Tom

I guess that makes it a real "Honey Pot".   What do you do with honey made inside of a septic tank in Canada? ;D

magicmikey

Sold as   " Export grade "     :-X ;D
mike

mechengineer13

Now that's funny no matter where ya live. :D

fuzzybear

My father kept bees all his adult life and he told me that bees are natures finest weathermen.  He had a good theory on bees....
   Big nest/lots of bees= cold winter...seems bees suround the queen and keep her warm.
       The colder the winter the more bees needed.
   Nests in the ground= dry summer
   Nests under cover= rainy summer
   Nests high in trees= calm winds
   Nests low to ground= lots of wind

In the 50+ years since pop first told me this I have watched the bees every spring and they have yet to be wrong in their predictions.
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

sprucebunny

This all has me wondering if 'bees' and 'hornets' are equal when it comes to weather knowledge ???
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

SwampDonkey

As far as bumble bees are concerned only the queen overwinters and is pregnant. She lays her eggs to produce workers in the spring to help with the next generation. If she dies in mid winter, that's the end of her line. ;) 

You can find hornets nests to meet all those criteria in any given year. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

chain

Don't know about hornets, but do you  have onions?

Onion's skin very thin,
mild winter coming in;

Onion's skin thick and tough,
coming winter cold and rough.

Checked our onions, skins plenty tough.

Chuck White

When I was on my last saw-job, I spotted a paper nest, just off the woods roadway that was lower than the windows on my truck.

Yesterday I started another job and spotted a paper nest on a phone pole, right where the fiber optic cable connects to the hardware.

So around here it's hard to tell what the snow fall will be.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Paul_H

It sounds like they are predicting some serious snowdrifts,Chuck :)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

isawlogs

I found another paper nest while picking some elderberies. This one is just below knee height, one of the inhabitants came around and stung me on an ankle , they where predicting that I was not going to be picking dem dere elderberries this year . :-\

Marcel

SwampDonkey

That's what happened the last time I picked chokecherries. I never picked any since. Always hitting yellow jacket nests picking those darn things. I got in a nest of'm Monday cutting brush, and true to their habit they were in rotten wood in the ground and were not very happy with my feet in their nest. :D

chain

Here's another winter predictor:

If on a sunny September day,
on logs turtles bask and lay,
winter will only last for forty days.

But if on a dark September day,
turtles are seen trudging in a southerly way,
Buy a parka without delay!

:)

gspren

Old thread I know! I was doing a google search because of a huge hornet nest about 18 inches off the ground and saw this thread, I should of looked here first. The general consensus on my search is that by winter the hornets in the nest are all dead so they don't care how deep the snow gets. 
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

K-Guy

My wife has watched them every year for about the last 10 and they've been on the money every year.

Mainers!! Bad news.
The nests are high this year, so she says lots of snow.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Thank You Sponsors!