iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

hit metal

Started by tazz, August 28, 2010, 12:54:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tazz

Hit my first piece of metal yesterday. A friend brought over a pecan log for me to saw which had been standing amongst other timber. I put a brand new blade on, of course, and on the second cut I hit the top of a fence staple. The blade doesn't appear to be damaged so I'm going to try to resharpen it. I was a little shy about making any more cuts, so I put on a resharpened blade and continued. Anyway, just thought I would share that. I have read other threads that said you weren't a sawyer until you hit metal so does fence staples count or do I have to hit a T-post?

sandhills

Not a bandmiller but I'm pretty sure a staple counts!! ;D

Magicman

Fence staples definitely count.

T Post, well that's another story.   ;) :D

And it was broken off below the bark, about 45 feet up from the butt.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

KyTreeFarmer

Counts in my book! Welcome to the club sawyer.  ;D
KTF
Woodmizer LT15G
Belsaw from Sears & Roebucks
8N Ford
87 Kubota 2550 W/FEL

sandhills

Magicman, new to this stuff, you honestly found that 45 ft up :o What kind of tree and how fast do they grow?  Showin my stupidity here everyone else can probably look and tell :)

Autocar

I always thought electric fence insulators or porclein insulators were the worse to hit. Ive busted 54 inch saws hitting them. Ripping the collars, and holders all out.
Bill

Cedarman

My guess is that tree fell on a fence and jammed the post into the wood and when it was pulled out of the woods it broke off.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Magicman

EXACTLY !!!    ;)  :)  :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

paul case

now dont youall get to thnking that cedarman has esp . i remember the story. notice no blue around the post   it hadnt been in there very long.  pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

bandmiller2

Tazz,common nails and fence staples are soft steel and if you hit them at right angle they do minimal harm and usally affect just a few teeth.If you look closly at the teeth you will see little curls of steel on the face of the teeth,take your pocket knife and flip them off and look at the set.If you run up on a nail on its side it will probibly affect the set on the hit side all around.I've hit 16D nails at right angles and just kept cutting a bent tooth will show on the board.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Chuck White

Yup, fence staples count as "hitting metal"!

Up until just the other day, my worst hit was a dry-wall screw.

But the other day I found a #16 spiral nail, and it took about 4-5 feet of teeth right off of a new, never been sharpened blade!

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Ouch !!!  It seems like the best metal detector is a new blade.   :)

paul case

Quote from: Chuck White on August 28, 2010, 10:19:04 PM
Yup, fence staples count as "hitting metal"!

Up until just the other day, my worst hit was a dry-wall screw.

But the other day I found a #16 spiral nail, and it took about 4-5 feet of teeth right off of a new, never been sharpened blade!

i hit metal in a customers log a week ago and i was almost finished. i was cutting 1x8's and lacked 10 being done with his walnut log and weeeeeoooooouuuch. DanG. it took 1/2 the teeth right off the blade. i got on thru the cut unloaded the cant and took the blade off , coiled it up and laid it on his lumber. that blade had never been sharpened. that will cost him an extra $26. i never even dug the metal out. pc
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
pc

redbeard

I was sawing on a big Red leaf maple one day and when i was getting close to the center i found a whole slew of square nails,I figured some kid along time ago was practicing his nailing. Bullets are interesting too, took me awhile once trying to figure out where the grey streak came from after a cut, i searched and searched for metal. Clothesline and cable in some crotch cuts, the worst hit i have had was a 3/8 chain that blade exploded.           
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

weisyboy

what exactly is a T post.

some logs i cut would worth more as scrap metal.
god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

Ianab

"what exactly is a T post."

I think we would call it a Waratah post in this part of the world. Not the sort of thing you want to try and saw though anyway  :D

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

weisyboy

and waht in hell is a waratah post?
god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia

Ianab

Quote from: weisyboy on August 29, 2010, 04:59:45 AM
and waht in hell is a waratah post?

Umm.. a "T" post?

Waratahs are about as Aussie as Holdens and Shrimp on the Barbie  ;D

http://www.onesteelwaratah.com.au/media/97062/waratahfencingcatalogue2010.pdf

Ian  ;)
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

weisyboy

Here in the real world we call them star pickets or steel stakes.

that would be bad to hit in a log.

i have hit a hills hoist in a big camphor tree.

a mate got a rifle.

ljmathias

Yeah, well, it seems I'm not getting enough tree metal in my diet so I decided to just go ahead and saw into my two-plane head- some real nice sparks out of that one!  Oh, and the blade?  tried to finish the cut but it dove about half an inch immediately so I had to replace it.  >:(

Been sawing an old pecan log that started out about 34" in diameter- had to whittle it down to cut it in half and then slice those into 4/4 lumber that has some of the prettiest grain patterns I've ever seen- worth the cost of one blade ruined. :)

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Ianab

Quotei have hit a hills hoist in a big camphor tree.

Man, now we will have to explain what a Hills Hoist is  :D

paul case

Quote from: Ianab on August 29, 2010, 07:34:59 AM
Quotei have hit a hills hoist in a big camphor tree.

Man, now we will have to explain what a Hills Hoist is  :D
exactly?  a come along? a chain falls? a fence stretcher?   i guess if you fellas havent heard of a t post then we coulda never heard of a hills hoist. so what is it?   pc
pc

Meadows Miller

Gday

Carl and Ian you boys are having abit too much fun with this fellas   ;) :D :D :D :D :D ;D Anyway Carl I wanna know more about you hitting a bloody hills hoist in a log Mate  :o :o :) ;) :D :D

Its the original Rotary Backyard clothes line as we know it today Paul  ;) :D 8)  And  Like Utes/ Pickups,car radio's ,the hand held electric drill and the Victa /rotary lawn mower and a whole heap of other bloody stuff it was invented rite here in Aus  ;) :D :D ;D ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) 8)

Regards Chris

4TH Generation Timbergetter

Thank You Sponsors!