iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1/4 or 3/8 drive

Started by kenskip1, August 26, 2010, 12:17:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenskip1

Gentleman,I used a mans battery operated 1/4 Dewalt impact driver (18 volt) and fell in love with it. My question is do any of you use a tool of this type? I have a 1/2 drive air operated impact gun along with a 3/8 air ratchet.My primary use will be small engine repair.I was nosing about on line and I am unsure what drive (1/4 or 3/8) to get! the 1/4 has 1550 inch pounds of torque.I think this one would do.Anyone have an opinion? Thanks, Ken
Stihl The One
Stihl Going Strong
Stihl Looking For The Fountain of Middle Age

John Mc

I didn't even know they made 1/4" impact drivers. I thought they were all 3/8", 1/2", and up...
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Al_Smith

Actually they do,sort of .About the only place they are used is on assembley lines though . However I do own a DeWalt 18 volt drill that has an impact on it for drilling masonary anchors .

Rambling on about air tools  ,those industrial drivers more times than not use a hex shaped adaptor with a square drive for the socket wrench or whatever tool it might be operating .Could be a socket wrench, torx driver ,you name it . Most of them are not impact but simpley  air powered drivers .

Jim H

I've got one of those, mine takes the 1/4" hex drive bits.I put in a 3/8 socket adaptor, it works great for small stuff and running larger stuff in and out once its broken free. Very handy.
2008 LT40HDG28, autoclutch, debarker, stihl 026, 046, ms460 bow, 066, JD 2350 4wd w/245 loader, sawing since '94 fulltime since '98

JohnG28

I think what he is talking about is not a drill with an adapter, but an actual battery operated impact driver.  I havent used one, but have looked them over, the specs do show a lot more torque than a regular cordless drill.  If it will work for your needs and isnt out of your price range, then why not get one.  I doubt you will be changing tires with it, but probably will make many repairs easier.  As for the drive size, Id think 3/8" makes most sense, at least to me.  Depends on what you use most often though. And you can adapt 1/4 to 3/8, or 3/8 to 1/4, but I would rather have larger 3/8" for normal use and use an adapter to decrease the size if needed.  Good luck, hope it helps.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Cut4fun

I dont have one myself, a 1/4 impact that has rechargeable batt. I have used one on chainsaws to do repairs and they are sweet.

Al_Smith

Oh I suppose I have about tool box full of air tools of sizes from 1" to 1/4" but other than spinning a clutch off I don't use them for chainsaws . Spinning a clutch off though they are the cats' meow .

At work I have a little power screwdriver made by Milwaukie,battery driven .It would work on a saw .It's 1/4"drive .Low torque,made for  screwing down wire terminations  .

trapper

I repaired tools in an assembly plant for the last 18 years.  using the quarter inch hex drive in an  impact tool replace the adaptor when it shows a bit of wear.  That quarter inch drive likes to break at the retaining grove and is not fun to remove most of the time.  I would pefer three eight  square drive
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Al_Smith

Going off on sort of a tangent  regarding tightening devices ,the more modern trend on assembley lines verses air tools are servo drives .While the air turbine does a good job of tightening ,the servo drives produced by FEC or Atlas-Copco can tighten to a specified torque and keep a record of it . Rocket science stuff . I have to deal with them every day plus the associated robots .

So with that in mind I would imagine a battery driven power tightening device would work well for small engine repair if a person where carefull about the settings .If not however then perhaps a person would become quite good at over sized tapping of holes and retrofitting threaded inserts .Remember,tight is tight -too tight is broke .

trapper

I had experience repairing and programing the electric tools. They are very accurate and reliable but I think too pricy for most small shops $10,000.00 plus for the ones I worked on.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Al_Smith

It's 10 grand just for the controller,the tool is above and beyond that plus a quarter of a mil for the robot .Real pricey for a mom and pop shop .

Thank You Sponsors!