iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Idler pulley clutch and multiple belts.

Started by pyrocasto, September 22, 2010, 12:58:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pyrocasto

Hey yall, finally joined after doing a ton of reading. 24 year old cabinet builder in the process of building my first bandmill now and it's going to be a BEAST.

I'm finding it's very popular on here that people use an idler pulley and a lever to engage and disengage their blades. I've heard alot about these "pins" that keep the belt off the drive pulley so there's no friction when disengaged but I cant seem to find any pictures seeing how that works. For those of you just using a idler pulley alone, do you find you have problems with friction heating your belt or spinning your blade when disengaged?

Also I'll be running a 30hp Wisconsin and figured I'd need dual belts/pulleys but wasnt sure. Any suggestions?

ladylake

On my mill the pins stick out maybe a couple inches from the outside of the pulley.. I'd make some kind of clamp on pins that you could move around to see what works the best for your setup. If that a old 30hp Wis you might need 3 belts.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

dovetails

Welcome to the group!
My old stump grinder has a 25 hp on it, set up for 5 belts, but I've only ever
used 3, and most times only 2 on it, and it's turning a 400lb 3 foot dia wheel,with the teeth that grind the stumps. If the teeth grap, it will stall out the motor,so I would say you should be fine with 1-2 at the most on a bandsaw.  Love them old wisconsin motors! Mine sets for months at a time, but when I need it, it fires right up.
1984 wm lt30,ford 3000 w/frt lift,several chain saws, 1953 model 30 Vermeer stump grinder,full wood working shop, log home in the woods what more ya need?

bandmiller2

Pyro welcome,alot depends on your belts but usally burning and excessive wear of the belts is not a problem.I've had the same dual belts on my bandmill for a long time.Belt idler systems are quite forgiving and can be either over center or spring loaded.Don't worry about pins or outher belt constraints unless you find you need them. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!