iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WANTED: Used Chainsaw attachments for Log and Timber Frame Construction

Started by hlhill, August 23, 2010, 11:45:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hlhill

Does anyone have a source for used Chain Saw Accessories/Attachments for Timber Frame and Log Building Construction.

I found a source for new tools, i.e., mini mills, miter attachments, jigs, drills, etc., but I am assuming there are sources for these kind of tools, as well as hand tools available for sale, either form dealers[ or from individuals.

Any info and/or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.  [/size]

Jim_Rogers

hlhill:
Welcome to the forum.
You may have to be more specific as to what you mean about this chain saw attachment.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Raphael

Logosol has a BBS (owners forum) with a for sale section, might check there.
I've seen beam machines and alaska mills listed as well as Logosol equipment.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

tyb525

Raphael, I have a Granberg small-log mill that I'd be interested in selling. If you are interested send me a PM
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

hlhill

This is in response to Mr. Rogers suggestion...a worthwhile one I might ad...that I provide more specific info regarding the kinds of Chain Saw Attachments that I am interested in acquiring. If someone has completed all of their building projects and are ready to sell their tools...I would be interested...otherwise I will have to go for new ones.

Since I am new to this forum...I have not yet learned how to paste photos...or to respond to individual posts.

Below I have pasted descriptions of some of the attachments that I am interested in buying. MAGARD VENTURES, Ltd...carries a great assortment of tools and the information is from their web site... http://www.logbuildingtools.ca/ - They are located in British Columbia...so there is a currency exchange rate issue to deal with.

MICRO-MILL HI-PRECISION CHAIN SAW MILL - The Micro-mill mounts quickly and easily on any chain saw and it allows you with an almost non-existent learning curve to cut precision window and door openings and customize timbers and lumber with a skill and ease no other device can match.
This mill is precision machined and its patented clamping system rotates 360˚ on sealed precision bearings. The most durable and accurate mill of its type. This mill uses a dressed 2 x 6 as a guide, but for even greater accuracy, the optional “High Precision Kit” is available which uses a 2 x 4 x ¼” aluminum channel as a guide.

Mini Mill - This attachment quickly clamps to a chain saw bar, and by using a V-shaped guide rail mounted on a 2 x 6, it is especially popular for flattening or squaring timbers and even making smooth lumber from logs.
It also is an ideal partner for the Alaskan Mark III by using it to square the log, then as an edger for the lumber.

Headcutter miter Attachment - This attachment clamps to any chain saw in seconds transforming it into a giant vertical cutting jigsaw. It is laterally angularly adjustable through 75˚ from vertical. 
It has a wide sturdy base plate which fully supports the weight of the saw through its angular range and provides excellent stability for accurate freehand cuts with a long cutting bar. By using the top cutting edge of the bar, the chain cutters throw wood chips away from the operator and cut area. This in combination with a large opening in the base plate and the U-shaped chain bar clamp located will behind the upper cutting edge of the chain bar provide an unobstructed view of the cutting chain as it is applied to the wood. With the HEADCUTTER the operator can easily guide the chain saw to follow a snap-line or scribed arc making it the perfect “framer’s” tool for gang cutting ganged lumber, beams placed on edge, structural insulated roof panels, etc. beyond the reach of most circulars.

MITER MILL ATTACHMENT - The MITER MILL is the latest elite edition of chain saw mills built with precision and quality only known to genuine products. Great for miter cuts up to 70˚ for gang milling beams, custom roof trusses, gable ends or any miter angle on structurally insulated panels. The MITER MILL is second to none in versatility, durability and accuracy +/- ¼˚. The MITER MILL uses a patented clamping system which allows you to clamp anywhere on your cutting bar without drilling holes. The MITER MILL weighs only 10 lbs, fits chainsaw bars up to 20” and cuts angles 70˚ in one direction and 30˚ in the other.

It is fully assembled and all components are hard anodized aluminum for increased wear quality and durability. An adjustable fence can be mounted in five different configurations – can run on edge or flip over to run on fence.

Its multi uses include gang cutting timber rafters, cutting birds mouths ganged or individual, pattern or template cutting, stopped cuts, valley “V” cuts on timbers, pitch cuts on timbers, stress skin panels – all cuts, truss construction, post beam construction, ripping cuts, curve cuts and miters.

Atom Drill - This attachment, by ATOM of Australia, quickly mounts on practically any chain saw and when fitted with a wood auger bit, will allow the operator to quickly drill up to 1 ½” holes in logs, beams, joists, timbers and what have you. One excellent feature on this unit is that it has an AUGER-STOP which switches the gear box into neutral if a sudden jamming occurs when drilling. Another feature allows the operator to then pull on the unit to automatically reverse the auger from the jammed position. Other features of this durable unit are tough re-enforced gear box construction, self-locking collar, 11 ball and roller bearings, forged steel machine cut hardened pinion gear, and protective chain and bar cover. When ordering, you must state make and model of your chain saw and pitch and number of chain you are running. Auger bits are sold separately.

I have found several dovetail jigs...some of which are home made...this may be an option for as well.

As I indicated I am a newbie to this forum...and I haven't yet figured out how to respond to individual posts...so I will include my email addredd herein - rhill30hlmt@earthlink.net

As for the Granberg Small Log Mill...Raphael...I may very well be interested.  And thank you Magicman for the forum link...and thank you Mr Rogers, I have read all of the info you have posted...everyone should.

And...thanks to everyone for the warm welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Aikenback

I just ordered the miter mill from magard. im expecting it tomorrow. I also have a granberg alaskan mkIII. i believe the miter mill is very accurate and versatile. i guess i'll find out. a word to the wise, the manufacturer accutech innovations told me he has currently discontinued the product due to lack of  interest. too bad, its only 500 bucks and a chainsaw. way cheaper than german stuff. and more versatile.

Cheers
no whining.

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: hlhill on August 24, 2010, 12:21:37 AM

Since I am new to this forum...I have not yet learned how to paste photos...or to respond to individual posts.

To reply to a direct sentence or question you can use the quote button at the top of the post you want to quote, and respond to.

For pictures you need to search the forum for the picture posting instructions.
They are here and it's not hard to do once you've learned how you'll shortly be able to do it, no problem.

Thanks for your kind words.

Jim Rogers

PS. that's quite a long list of things you're looking for, good luck with your search.
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Thank You Sponsors!