iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

2 inch receiver capacity?

Started by ahlkey, August 23, 2010, 01:41:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ahlkey

With my F650 I have both a gooseneck & a drop down 2 inch receiver. I am unsure of the 2 inch receiver capacity.  It is heavy duty drop down type hitch welded directly to the frame of the truck. I do have a 18K tri-axle custom trailer and it would be nice to be able to use it with that 2"receiver. I see that I can buy a 20K 2" forged ball mount and with the air suspension on the truck not sure I need any weight distribution hookup.  From what I can gather 15K is the largest WD unit on the market (which is what I have at the moment).   Anyone use these 20K 2" ball mounts on larger medium duty trucks?  My truck has a combined 40,000 capacity.

whiskers

my 2" Reese hitch has the capacities stamped on it, seems that would be required on any manufactured hitch with all the rules and regs today. whats a WD unit?
many irons in the fire.........

ahlkey

Nothing stamped on the hitch.  It just a large 6" X 2" heavy duty steel  frame welded directly to the I-Beam truck frame (see picture).  Definitely, not a factory bolt-on setup.  It is similar to the large plates that are put on dump trucks and other medium duty trucks but with a pintle hitch.   A WD is just a weight distribution hitch. 

LAZERDAN

I have one just like it on the camper.   go to any good camper or trailer web site or call your local rv sales and repair , most are very willing to help,you could send them the pic                         Lazerdan

Ironwood

I have started to see class IV reciever hardware. That would be a 2 1/2 - 3"  box tube instead of 2". I have just started seeing these, so look around at those for capacity. I just saw it w/ in a month ago, so VERY new.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

woodhick

Reid I think you mean class V.  I am pretty sure class IV is still a 2" tube.  We have a class V on a couple of our fire department trucks and they use a  2 1/2" receiver tube.  We have been using them for several years so there not "new" just not that common.
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

ahlkey

I have a appointment tomorrow with a industrial trailer/welding company.  They will be putting some stake pockets on my aluminum flatbed and will also look at my receiver setup.  Since the reciever is welded inside a large beam that is in turn welded to the frame (definitely custom --- no bolts) I doubt replacing the reciever with a larger one would add much strength as it is the large receiver beam welded to the frame beams that allows for the capacity.  However, if I do need to go to a 2.5" & 3" receiver that would be easier to do than adding a pintle hitch plate and cutting off the ball mount on my trailer to add a pintle hookup. 

ahlkey

Found out today that the hitch is a solid custom design that is typically done on larger trucks to add capacity.  Most often they weld to the truck frame a large plate and then add a pintle hookup to it in order to increase capacity.  The 2 inch receiver contained within this large beam will easily handle 20,000 as I hoped.  I will go ahead and get the 20,000 forged ball mount. 

IMERC

look into a class IV hitch, equalizers and 2-5/16" ball.....
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

Thank You Sponsors!