iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

8 x 12 shed project

Started by fred in montana, August 22, 2010, 10:25:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fred in montana

Just a basic garden shed but sawmill lumber looks way better than plywood. Still have to get a roof on it.
woodmizer lt15, mf 65 tractor
logdovetailjig.com

Chuck White

Nice looking shed you have there!

I need to do a couple of those myself.

I like the looks of the fresh sawn lumber myself.  The plywood may last longer and everything, but it looks cheap.

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

tyb525

I couldn't see plywood lasting any longer than solid lumber, plus it looks better :) It's a great feeling knowing that you sawed all the lumber that went into it, instead of buying it at the home center 8)
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

redbeard

Good looking shed, did you ship lap the siding or will you be adding battens? 
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

fred in montana

logdovetailjig.com

Magicman

Very nice.  What will the roof be?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fred in montana

Probably galvanized metal but not sure yet.
logdovetailjig.com

Carpenter

I believe 1x sheeting will outlast plywood.  I have remodeled a lot of older houses, and it just seems to me that the 1x sheeting is usually in better shape than plywood, especially if it gets wet.  Of course the 1x sheeting doesn't lay as nice as the plywood, and it doesn't crossbrace a building like plywood and it is cost prohibitive if you have to buy the stuff.  But, now that I own a sawmill, I plan to use a lot of 1x sheeting for my own projects.
    Did you sheet the whole building and then put on  the verticle boards or did you put horizontal nailers on?  If you didn't use any diagonal bracing it would be a good idea,  you don't get much bracing strength from the vertical boards.  The old buildings with 1x sheeting that I've worked on with diagonal bracing have generally stayed pretty square, most of them without crossbracing have not, either diagonal braces let into the studs or just nailed to the studs will work.   
     I got off on a little tangent there, but was just pointing out some of the advantages and disadvantages of wood sheeting.  Your shed looks great.       

bandmiller2

Fred, you could put some "planman" wood shingles on the roof that would be the cat's pooper.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Dave Shepard

If you want to use 1" boards for sheathing, you put them on at a 45° angle. This provides bracing.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

fred in montana

Right, bracing is necessary. I am doing board and batten so putting the siding on a 45 was not a good way to go.

I used braces in the walls:

logdovetailjig.com

D Hagens

Right when I opened this thread and saw your shed I thought "now that's what I need at my cabin as it would fit right in"
Very nice job! I really like that look and the high doors.
8)

woodbowl

Quote from: fred in montana on August 22, 2010, 08:58:36 PM

I used braces in the walls:

The braces look like they may be one piece. Are they notched to fit the horizontals or are they really 3 pieces?

I saw a building the other day that was sawn 45° sheathing and lapped. Not sure how good it kept the weather out.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

backwoods sawyer

I like the old rough sawn look as well, and you're bracing looks like it close to what I have been doing on my 16x16 hay shed. Don't forget to add some venting. ½"x ½" hardware cloth works good to keep the critters out and allow the air to flow.

I like the old rough sawn look as well, and you're bracing looks like it close to what I have been doing on my 16x16 hay shed. Don't forget to add some venting. ½"x ½" hardware cloth works good to keep the critters out and allow the air to flow.

Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

fred in montana

The horizontals are one piece. The braces are three pieces. The ends of the braces are attached to the horizontals with nails. The planks reinforce the connections too. It isn't going anywhere.

I have considered the homemade shingles but am a little concerned about using lodgepole pine. I still might though.
logdovetailjig.com

fred in montana

Nice hay shed. Is that fir?
logdovetailjig.com

Carpenter

Quote from: Dave Shepard on August 22, 2010, 08:32:55 PM
If you want to use 1" boards for sheathing, you put them on at a 45° angle. This provides bracing.

Right, Thats another good way to do it. 

paul case

Quote from: Carpenter on August 23, 2010, 06:59:38 PM
Quote from: Dave Shepard on August 22, 2010, 08:32:55 PM

Right, Thats another good way to do it. 

thats how i did it on my house . it made the structure good and solid.pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

backwoods sawyer

Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

fred in montana

Finshed it up awhile ago but am just getting around to posting a picture of the finished shed.

logdovetailjig.com

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Wrangler55

I put 1" boards at 45 degrees on my solar kiln, then went over that with 1" board & batten.  It was a little heavy, but I don't intend to move it around. 

Hal
I'm so covered with sawdust, my nickname should be dusty...

fishpharmer

Fred in Montana is the siding tongue and groove?  Also, nice Elk antlers, did you take it?
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Bandmill Bandit

Very nice shed. Do you have a set of plans/cut list by chance?
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

woodbowl

Very nice Fred. What stain did you use? How about the inside, it looks too good to store hay in. Do you plan to finish it out?
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Thank You Sponsors!