iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whats the hardest lesson you have learned?

Started by Banjo picker, August 21, 2010, 10:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banjo picker

I think one of the heardest things I have learned is not to fool around very long on a crooked log....I would like to say I have learned not to mess with too big of a log--but I can't.. ;D 

OK...somebody else spill the beans....Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

woodmills1

how to be calm and cool and ask the right questions with customers.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

TimJr

I have learned that a 16' pine 32" in diameter is not the easiest thing to roll over with one person and a 48" cant hook! Especially if you get it on a flat side.
Live each day like it's your last. Your never promised tomorrow.

DanG

Don't marry a crazy woman...oh, I guess you're talking about sawmilling. ::)

It is a toss-up between "scan the thing anyway" and "go ahead and sharpen up".  I have hit metal in the second of 20' logs from a pine, and have wasted countless hours trying to get a few more boards with dull teeth.  These are lessons that are thoroughly ingrained in my mind, but not always followed in my actions. :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Kansas

Hardest lesson I learned-and it took time for me to understand this- don't be afraid to make money. Stop worrying about what someone else is charging. If you provide service above and beyond the standard, don't feel you have to keep your prices down. No apologies necessary. I still struggle with that sometimes.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Banjo picker on August 21, 2010, 10:45:34 PM
I think one of the heardest things I have learned is not to fool around very long on a crooked log....I would like to say I have learned not to mess with too big of a log--but I can't.. ;D 

I think you mean you cant.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

paul case

my hardest lesson hummm.
that would be if you are sure it wont happen, it will. 

example #1.   when the head is idleing down and rolling to the end, surely it wont knock the blade off when it hits the stop.

ex #2.   i am going to set this log on the mill even though the stops are down it wont roll off the back if i sit it down easy .

ex#3. if i pull back on the clamp when the log is leaning against it , there is no way it could mash my hand.

ex#4.   no one has ever stolen my stuff before.

ex#5.  i think i have the head up enough to miss the big but on the log when it comes back.
              (i should write a book on the million ways to knock the band off)

ex#6   i have that small piece clamped down tight. there is no way it could come loose and bend the band all up.

ex#7.  that log is not too big for my mill.

ex #8   heard this before?   i am just gona make one more cut then i will put the log stops down.

ex#9.  just when you think you have the right size log at the mill for every order.   wrong

ex#10.   real lesson to learn.   saws for wood dont do well on metal. chainsaws or bandsaws.

pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Piston

Quote from: TimJr on August 21, 2010, 11:11:07 PM
I have learned that a 16' pine 32" in diameter is not the easiest thing to roll over with one person and a 48" cant hook! Especially if you get it on a flat side.

+1 but it was only 28" diameter for me, however I only had an old, wooden, split, and beat up 30" peavey.  Needless to say that didn't work out, ended up taking 4 hours to mill that ONE log with LT15.  There is a 60" peavey and 42" cant hook on their way from Logrite as I write this 8) (ALMOST sprung for the 72" but didn't, I hope I dont' wish I had)
Lesson learned.

OH also, not only did it take me 4 hrs to mill, but since I was so beat from trying to turn that log and not thinking right, I ended up messing up and coming up with a 7 1/2 x 7 1/2 timber when I wanted an 8x8.  turned it all into 2x lumber. 
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

weisyboy

when they say there was never anything nailed to that tree. you beta believe that you will hit nails.

if there is a power cable or watter pipe anyware near your fence line even thow your posts are 10' apart you will always hit it.
god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

customsawyer

How to say "NO!!!" to a job that you don't really want to do.
I let myself get talked into some jobs that I have no skills for.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

jdtuttle

How to keep your finger away fron an 8" x 8" oak cant on the mill bed :o
jim
Have a great day

weisyboy

i to have a problem saying no.

do you mind stacking the timber in the shed" its over there" customer points 50m away. sure no problem.

"can you cut this old telagraph post up for me." sure no problem

dont do favors. you will always break sompthing and end up costing yourself a fortune.
god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

bandmiller2

That I'am not in my 20's anymore,take it easy.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

paul case

me neither frank,
when i was 20 i worked 18-20 hour days in the summer and i never remember smelling as bad as i do now when i get in the middle of one of those 3 shirt days. tmi probably.   pc
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
pc

Banjo picker

Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

JPM

to say no to someone who wants me to saw just a few logs , it will only take a little time

Chuck White

Quote from: Banjo picker on August 22, 2010, 09:06:23 AM
Quote from: paul case on August 22, 2010, 08:49:28 AM
. tmi probably.   pc

??? smiley_headscratch  smile_banjoman  Tim

Tim;  "tmi" in computer/texting lingo means: to much information.
That meaning you didn't have to get that technical for me to understand!

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Okrafarmer

He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

WDH

Don't try to cut crappy logs.  I always think that there may be a few good boards in there.  Then after spending all that time and the time to dry the lumber, it is usually knotty, splitty crap that no one will buy and I can't hardly give it away.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

r.man

The answer to the question, " will you help me move my piano?" is always a definite "no" followed by " absolutely not" which is followed by " not a snowballs chance in July". These answers should be used whenever another person is asking you to do something inherently dangerous to your physical well being. The reason for the multiple answers is so they do not think that they can talk you into it or that you are being coy. Works for me on pianos and other back breaking thankless jobs that should be done by professionals or machinery.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Okrafarmer

I haven't learned that one yet, but I've never hurt myself helping out either. I can lift things pretty well. I don't mind helping with piano's and such because I store up a bunch of iou credits and people don't say "no" very easily to a guy that helps them move pianos!

Magicman

Quote from: WDH on August 22, 2010, 10:05:37 PMDon't try to cut crappy logs.  I always think that there may be a few good boards in there.  Then after spending all that time and the time to dry the lumber, it is usually knotty, splitty crap that no one will buy and I can't hardly give it away. 

Ya can't make chicken pie out of chicken mess.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Meadows Miller

Gday

Magic We call it Turning Crappola into Jam Overhere but we use a slightly shorter second word Mate  ;) :D :D :D And yes ive done plenty of it over the years  ;) :D ;D 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

pigman

Quote from: r.man on August 22, 2010, 11:03:31 PM
The answer to the question, " will you help me move my piano?" is always a definite "no" followed by " absolutely not" which is followed by " not a snowballs chance in July".
Does that mean that I should not call you when I need to move my piano upstairs? :-\

"Whats the hardest lesson you have learned?" To not save every crappy board that I saw.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

iffy

I have learned when you have built a log shell that is assembled with 1/2" x 12" lags and you are now cutting out the door and window openings that a saw with a fresh chain can only make it halfway through a 1/2" lag.  >:( Actually I learned it 12 times. :-[

flip

me thinking to myself, "I know I can squeeze that between my guides".

Halfway through the log.  "Hmmmm, guess it was wider than I thought".

me pulling broken band out of log too big to fit between guides.  "You idiot, I will never do this again"!

next week.... "I know I can squeeze that between my guides".  ::)
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

Banjo picker

I seem to resemble several of those lessons as well....thanks for the tmi info..now I know.. :)  I don't do much texting...when I try I mess it up about half the time ...Tim

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Banjo picker on August 23, 2010, 06:50:40 PM
I seem to resemble several of those lessons as well....thanks for the tmi info..now I know.. :)  I don't do much texting...when I try I mess it up about half the time ...Tim

Just so you know, when people use the phrase TMI, it often implies that they strayed farther than necessary into an embarrassing topic. Like telling everybody that you need to go poop when it would have sufficed to say "I'll be back in a few minutes." :-[ :-X :-\ ::)

paul case

Quote from: Okrafarmer on August 23, 2010, 09:31:54 PM
Quote from: Banjo picker on August 23, 2010, 06:50:40 PM

Just so you know, when people use the phrase TMI, it often implies that they strayed farther than necessary into an embarrassing topic. Like telling everybody that you need to go poop when it would have sufficed to say "I'll be back in a few minutes." :-[ :-X :-\ ::)

that truly was tmi    i think we were using the term tmi way before cell phones and texting.   pc
pc

Okrafarmer

Quote from: paul case on August 23, 2010, 10:54:16 PMthat truly was tmi    i think we were using the term tmi way before cell phones and texting.   pc

I know I was using it before I ever texted.  8)

Texas Ranger

Never tick off the first guy on the green chain.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Piston

After the mill has been sitting a while, always check for hornets nests!   :o
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

WDH

That hornet comment makes me think about another hard lesson that I have learned:

After harrowing over a yellow jacket nest, don't jump off the tractor onto one leg while the tractor is still running  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Okrafarmer

Don't lose your cell phone. Or your keys. Or your wallet. Been guilty of all this in the last year. Much of it in the last week!

Magicman

It started raining, so I sent my help to raise the windows in the truck.  He also hit the wrong button and.....locked the truck.  Did I say that it had started raining.  My cell phone was also in the truck cab, and we were about a mile back in.

I don't work in the rain, but I can get wet in the rain.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Magicman on August 24, 2010, 10:05:03 PM
It started raining, so I sent my help to raise the windows in the truck.  He also hit the wrong button and.....locked the truck.  Did I say that it had started raining.  My cell phone was also in the truck cab, and we were about a mile back in.

:D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D

smile_banjoman

"Good help, good help, good help, good help is SO hard to find!
I've searched the world over and I'm losing my mind,
Good help is SO hard to find!
Good help, good help, good help-- good help is SO hard to find!
I've tried and I've failed, but oh, never mind,
Good help is SO hard to find!"

Banjo picker

Quote from: Magicman on August 24, 2010, 10:05:03 PM

Did he break the news to you or just let you find out on your own?  Tim

Magicman

I happened to be looking toward the truck.  I guess that he knew, cause he immediately tried to open the door.  Then he went around to the other side and tried it.   ::)

There is a spare truck key in the toolbox now.   ;)

Okrafarmer

Always check for wind before cutting a tall straight tree.

paul case

Quote from: Okrafarmer on August 24, 2010, 11:09:47 PM
Always check for wind before cutting a tall straight tree.

was you fixing fence , calling the insurance agent , or worse?pc
pc

Okrafarmer

Thankfully it never went too badly for me, Paul, but some guys got paid to come cut down white pines in my trailer park I used to live in-- I had wanted to do it, but because I had no insurance they didn't let me-- or they thought I couldn't do it-- one nice 3' diameter plus 100' white pine I had always admired and wanted to cut-- nice and straight as an arrow-- they took it down and it went 90 degrees on them and took out the power line and started a brush fire! Wasn't their day! Unfortunately they got to keep all the wood. I would have sold it to the mill if I could have done it.

backwoods sawyer

It took me a while but I finally learned that there are some places that that a pack of dogs chasing a bear can go, that my truck could not. Nevertheless, there are still a lot of places it can go that it should not go. Still working on where the mill should and should not go.  ;D
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

JBS 181

I have not posted in a while because I have been out of the business for a bit but will soon be back to cutting a few boards on a small bandmill for local customers.
                 I wouldn't say this was a hard lesson and I should have known better. If you happen to go into business with somebody else be very sure that is what you want to do even if it is somebody you know well.
                 You could end up doing most of the work, thinking, repairing etc. for the same pay.

medic1289

Do not assume the mill key is in the truck you're actually using to drive to a distant job!!

The BEST lesson I've learned is: if there is a big ring of keys for the horse trailer in said truck, one of them MIGHT just fit the mill, listen to your better half and check before you try to hotwire the mill

Bad happens, good happens, but you just never know which will be when.

Life is good, sy

Chris Burchfield

Being stung by a couple of red wasp who set up home in your mill is less painful and cheaper than running, falling on your knee busting your meniscus, having to have surgery then paying what insurance won't.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

WDH

sigidi

You can never "guarantee" what will come out a log :-X
Always willing to help - Allan

Cedarman

Never put something away so you won't lose it.  You will find the thing you put away to keep from losing it shortly after you buy the replacement.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

paul case

Quote from: Cedarman on August 28, 2010, 08:56:56 AM
Never put something away so you won't lose it.  You will find the thing you put away to keep from losing it shortly after you buy the replacement.
me 2. got a good inventory of safe parts somewhere.pc
pc

Banjo picker

Quote from: JBS 181 on August 27, 2010, 01:49:46 PM
I have not posted in a while because I have been out of the business for a bit but will soon be back to cutting a few boards on a small bandmill for local customers.
                 I wouldn't say this was a hard lesson and I should have known better. If you happen to go into business with somebody else be very sure that is what you want to do even if it is somebody you know well.
                 You could end up doing most of the work, thinking, repairing etc. for the same pay.

Amen...I learned that lesson while in the concrete business...Tim

backwoods sawyer

How to say, "It is what it is" and leave it at that.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Meadows Miller

Gday

I have learned some Bloody Hard ones over the years just with dealing with people in business in general my personal worst was leasing an old mill to gain more production capacity about 4 years ago which cost me about $60 grand all  up in wages paid ,excessive maint , late payers and a whole heapa other bloody things to deal with  ;) and my latest grand stuff up was accepting logs that where way  out of  my specs i had supplied to the contractor that ones going to cost me about what i made out of the logs as i had offered top dollar for what i wanted but ill have it sorted shortly as usual  ::) theres nothing like pulling good profit out of a good job to pay out the last thing that didnt go the way you had planned things to pan out  ??? ::) :( and also the time it takes to recover lost income and the other good jobs you can not capitalize on on while  while your trying to deal with the issue at hand the best way some things are worth dumping before they get out of hand  if they are not going in your favor and someones playing funny buggers with you weather that be the buyer or a supplier ive had afew on both sides over the years myself  ;)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

terrifictimbersllc

Hardest lesson which I never seem to learn is that other people don't always see things my way.  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Thank You Sponsors!