iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Does anyone know any thing....

Started by IMERC, August 21, 2010, 08:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IMERC

about a company based in MI called Riverbend Timber Frame....

if you do what would your opinion(s) be???
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

addicted

I went and toured their facilities last winter. Very nice operation.  Insulspan is located in the same complex so the frame and panels are done in the same location.  The area where the frame is cut is very impressive with multiple side planers and a huge hundigger machine that does most of the joinery.  The people Seemed very nice and professional. They have done a lot of high end custom homes.
Hope this helps
Rusty

IMERC

IMERC

just a friendly bump for a little more exposure...

witterbound

imerc, my hunch is that you're not getting many responses to your question because Riverbend is a different type of timber frame, and timber frame company, than those on this Board associate with or know much about.  Riverbend is a big company.  My sense is the folks on this Board are do it yourselfers, or small shops that cut a few frames each year. 

GaryinMississippi

Well, someone knows something and Jim Rogers knows everything but I'm not sure if anyone knows anything. 8)

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: GaryinMississippi on September 01, 2010, 11:23:11 AM

Well, someone knows something and Jim Rogers knows everything but I'm not sure if anyone knows anything. 8)

For sure, I don't know everything..... but I do read alot..........
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Woulde

I toured the Riverbend facility earlier this year and concur with addicted; impressive facility and good people.  Very friendly and not pushy.  I toured the local sales representatives house in Northwest Ohio, which was built by Riverbend, and was impressed. I also chatted with Stewart Elliott, who has been in the business a long time and seems very capable.

However, I'm inclined to hire a timber frame architect on my own to draw up plans and get bids from a few local contractors to cut and assemble the frame.  I don't mind the extra work to save a few bucks.

IMERC

all in all they seem to be a decent company then???

ljmathias

Garyinmississippi: where you located anyway?  Far from Hattiesburg?

Oh, and that quote ain't quite right: it's not what people know that matters but what they think they know that's wrong...

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

IMERC

Quote from: ljmathias on September 02, 2010, 02:11:00 PM

Oh, and that quote ain't quite right: it's not what people know that matters but what they think they know that's wrong...

Lj

didn't know that...
do I still not know????

ljmathias

Well, it all depends on whether you really don't know it, just think you don't know it, or don't know you don't know it because it never occurred to you to find it out.  On the other hand, not knowing you don't know it frees you up to keep plunging ahead as if you do know unless there's someone watching who does know and either will or won't enlighten you- that is, it could help or hurt if you know they know but won't tell, or you don't know they know so don't care.  Then again, knowing you don't know something means you already know something about it, so you've made it a good start.  Not knowing you don't know it means you've got to first find out you don't know it, and than can take a long time or happen after what you don't know could have helped you...

Clear? ;D ;D

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

IMERC

ohhhhh.....

make that clueless now...

GaryinMississippi

Quote from: ljmathias on September 02, 2010, 02:11:00 PM

Lj

I'm in Starkville.  And the saying (I believe by Will Rogers) is:  It's not what they know or don't know, it's what they know that ain't so.

ljmathias

Thanks, Gary- I knew it was something like that but Will had a way of saying things that was just right.

Starkville, huh?  Too far for a quick visit to chat, but maybe for a day-long Southern Chapter get together.  We've been talking one now for a couple months- once the weather cools, I think it's worth doing again.  I'd still like to visit Pineywoods set-up so I can get the low down on a solar kiln.  Got about 8 stacks of wood stickered and air-drying but need to put that finishing touch on next.  Then maybe a new Logosol or Woodmaster set up to process it into flooring and interior siding... :-\  The list of stuff I need just gets longer and with a fixed income staring me in the face for the rest of retirement, not likely I'll get most of it.  Gotta sell some stuff...

Lj

Thank You Sponsors!