iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rustic shed

Started by fred in montana, August 21, 2010, 07:44:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fred in montana

I ran across this shed someone had for sale along the roadside. He sawed the interior lumber but used old barn wood on the outside. I thought it was neat:

woodmizer lt15, mf 65 tractor
logdovetailjig.com

Magicman

Yes, that is a very neat shed.  There's a lot of good ideas.  I hope that he is selling them as fast as he can build them.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

woodbowl

That is a very nice looking shed. It looks to have 5 runners serving as both the skids and joist. If the shed is 12' wide the centers would be 3'. Do you recall how thick the floor was? I'm guessing maybe 1 1/2" to 2". The last pic shows the edge of the shakes. Are they sawn and textured?

Welcome to the form.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

LOGDOG

Very neat! I dig the antler door handle.  :) My wife would be after me to by (or build) one of these if we happened up on one.

fred in montana

Yes it was 12x12 with textured cedar shingles.

I didn't notice what the thickness of the floor was.
logdovetailjig.com

bandmiller2

$ell ,I'd live in that,wouldn't want to get snowed in all winter though.Very nice until he runs out of old barn board.Any easy way to weather new lumber quick??many times if I'am trying to hide a new building I'll coat it with Cabots old barnboard stain,looks like its been there for years.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

redbeard

How much was he asking for that one? Looked like he had some original barn hardware also. Nice shed!
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

fred in montana

I haven't been able to find out the price yet. I will be by there again in about 2 weeks.
logdovetailjig.com

fred in montana

logdovetailjig.com

redbeard

That is a good price for a 12 x 12 shed custom like that there is alot of labor time, and looks like he used some authentic hardware.Something that is original and unique like this shed will sell. I have priced and sold my sheds at 35.00 - 45.00 sqft. If you were looking for a shed would you buy a home depot 12 x 12 barn type shed that sells for 6500.00 or the Montana work of art?
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

woodbowl

Quote from: redbeard on September 07, 2010, 09:02:25 PM
I have priced and sold my sheds at 35.00 - 45.00 sqft. If you were looking for a shed would you buy a home depot 12 x 12 barn type shed that sells for 6500.00 or the Montana work of art?

$7500 / 144sf= $52. psf   for customized Montana outside and bare walls inside.

redbeared, have you done finish work on the inside of your sheds? I see a lot of portable buildings with bare walls, but no customized inside. I guess we're talking about a very small turn key house now with wiring, insulation, plumbing, cabnets ect.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

fishpharmer

Here in MS folks are selling those portable buildings, some very large, upto 16x30'.  I think some folks are using them as cabins or even homes.  The Montana Cabin is much nicer looking.  So I think people would pay more for better appearance and quality.  Especially if used for a cabin/first/second home.

Has anyone seen a portable building used as a cabin/first or second home? Maybe only in MS.

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

woodbowl

I've noticed a few here in Fl, but they are "under the radar" type folk.

Fred, did you notice about the floor system?

paul case

i saw 2 12x20 sheds back to front made into a cabin. looked like it worked out real nice.pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

redbeard

If you think 50.00 sqft is high check these guys out  gardensheds.com

fishpharmer

I checked out that site. Even with the high prices, the interior remains unfinished. 

Do you think having a finished interior would be more appealing (sellable)?

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

fred in montana

It turns out that it is 12x14. That works out to $44.65 per sq ft.

I think the floor is 2x4 joists over 4x4 treated timbers, 4' on center.
logdovetailjig.com

metalspinner

That is a cool shed. It would make a nice playhouse, too.

I also noticed the cabin on the right of the second pic.  Did you take pics of his other work?
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

fred in montana

I don't have any other pictures.

That is his office building. It is framed with live edge siding.

Too bad they don't have a website.
logdovetailjig.com

JBS 181

Question to bandmiller2. Is that the name of that Cabots stain? "Old Barnwood"? Or is it some shade of gray? I did not see it in their samples on their webpage. Would like to try some of that stuff.

fishpharmer

Quote from: bandmiller2 on August 22, 2010, 08:12:06 AM
$ell ,I'd live in that,wouldn't want to get snowed in all winter though.Very nice until he runs out of old barn board.Any easy way to weather new lumber quick??many times if I'am trying to hide a new building I'll coat it with Cabots old barnboard stain,looks like its been there for years.Frank C.

Good question about an easy way to quickly weather new lumber.  I have no answer.  One thing I have noticed is that slabs left out seem to weather and turn grey pretty quick here in MS.  Maybe just leaving board in the weather is the answer?  Not sure.

redbeard

I have heard of a vinegar water mix to help speed up the graying of lumber, Has anyone else tried it?

easymoney

seeing that fellow standing near it it looks like the ceiling would be mighty low if you were over 5 foot tall you would have to stoop to walk into the side area.

clif

I have used Clorox on new cedar shingles to make them blend in with the old.  It worked fairly well.
Mighty Myte Mark IV Band Saw Mill .  " Don't let the past hold you back"

AndyC

Time and weather does a really nice job.  The shed my Dad and I built from rough sawn ash/poplar and oak was put up dripping wet off the rotary mill and dried to what you see.  It has battens on the inside because I wanted that old barn look.  It grayed out within 1 season and has continued to darken more than in the second picture as that was 3 years ago.   I am going to use a tinted sealer from sikkens next summer.   

Thank You Sponsors!