iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pine

Started by Bill Gaiche, August 20, 2010, 10:28:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Gaiche

I am visiting in Gallatin tn. Driving east toward Cookeville i see a lot of pine along the roads. Can someone tell me what specie am i seeing? thanks in advance, bg

js2743

its interstate pine  :D

Bill Gaiche

Wasnt on inter state. bg

WDH

Most probably loblolly-by-golly ( ;D) or shortleaf. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

sandhills

I hope so cause I had to ask what that was too  :D :D :D   

SwampDonkey

They tend to plant red or scots pine along interstate highways in the northern tier states. At least in Maine and Mich. Sometimes Jack as well. ;) Jack has the widest continuous distribution east/west (Nova Scotia to the Rockies) on the continent with Ponderosa being second and discontinuous in more of a north south range from the rockies westward. Lodgepole is right up there to. Most other pine ranges wouldn't fit the size of Quebec province.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

DanG

They plant trees on the roadsides? ???  Down here they have to mow or the trees would take over the shoulder, right up to the pavement.  Even a little crack in the E-lane pavement would sprout pines. :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

SwampDonkey

That's pretty much the same idea DanG for most roads through forests. ;D I guess the areas they plant are spots a little far from a town to keep the grass mowed. ;D But, up here they don't plant roadsides, they can't keep what's growing cut back. There is a section up the road that the alders are about touching from one side to the other over pavement. They did cut some of that back the last 3 years, but some of the work is what would be termed "half arsed". :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

bandmiller2

Back during the WPA era many, what i believe were red pines were planted in parks, around water supplies,and resivours.Usally planted in neat even rows,tall and straight I'd like to get a mess of them to cut. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

SwampDonkey

Red pine was one tree the tree improvement guys couldn't improve upon for growth habits, straightness and branching. Mother nature had it all worked out. :D

WDH

There won't be many red pines in Tennessee.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

We weren't suggesting. You know how we like to wonder around in these threads, like the back yard sometimes? :D

Banjo picker

Quote from: DanG on August 21, 2010, 09:21:57 AM
They plant trees on the roadsides? ???  Down here they have to mow or the trees would take over the shoulder, right up to the pavement.  Even a little crack in the E-lane pavement would sprout pines. :D

Thats a fact, and what we can't mow we spray and kill it...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Okrafarmer

In TN, my best guess is Loblolly, though it could be others. Loblolly is fairly tall and straight with quite long needles. It can sometimes be mistaken for white pine at first glance, but the bark is brownish red rather than purplish brown, and has a different pattern. If it has short needles-- ta-da-- it might just be short-leaf pine.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

woodmills1

we should start calling our red pine.......... :P................northern yellow pine, it might make it more marketable.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Okrafarmer

Quote from: woodmills1 on August 21, 2010, 11:17:42 PM
we should start calling our red pine.......... :P................northern yellow pine, it might make it more marketable.
I believe it is a yellow pine, right?
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

SwampDonkey

Not as strong and lower sp. gravity than the southern yellow pines. Most of the market is for poles. Our telephone poles are most all red pine up here. Pulp is hard to sell and low value in my area. Used for log homes, but that's not a flourishing market around here. Mostly export.

WDH

Quote from: Okrafarmer on August 21, 2010, 11:19:41 PM

It is a yellow pine (as opposed to a white pine of which there is only one in the east, Eastern White Pine, but there are several in the west).

Okrafarmer

Quote from: WDH on August 22, 2010, 09:44:39 PM
Quote from: Okrafarmer on August 21, 2010, 11:19:41 PM

It is a yellow pine (as opposed to a white pine of which there is only one in the east, Eastern White Pine, but there are several in the west).

Yes, and Black Oak is a red oak, I get it.

SwampDonkey

:D :D :D

I am what I am, and that's all that I am. ;)

red oaks lumber

fresh sawn red pine brings more money when its called norweigen pine, when it becomes bluestained calling it kentucky blue pine brings top dollar.
i don't think there will be a telephone pole market in the near future, with everyone going wireless they won't have wires to hang on them poles...
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

paul case

hey red oaks,
here in oklahoma our electric comes in overhead on those poles and the phone cables are buried.  pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Banjo picker

Quote from: paul case on August 23, 2010, 09:24:50 PM
hey red oaks,
here in oklahoma our electric comes in overhead on those poles and the phone cables are buried.  pc

Same here in Miss.  They are redoing a line less that a mile from the house right now...new wood poles...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

paul case

Quote from: Banjo picker on August 23, 2010, 10:18:51 PM
Quote from: paul case on August 23, 2010, 09:24:50 PM
hey red oaks,

Same here in Miss.  They are redoing a line less that a mile from the house right now...new wood poles...Tim

i wonder if somewhere they are going wireless with the electricity too?
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Banjo picker

I'm pretty sure that aint gona happen...Tim

Thank You Sponsors!