Sponsors:

Mom's favorite meatloaf

Started by pappy19, August 19, 2010, 01:40:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pappy19

Here's one of the best meatloaf recipes I have had. Hope you try it-

Pap

Jane's Meatloaf

2 lbs lean ground meat (beef or wild game)
1 large onion chopped
2 eggs
4 generous shakes of Worchester sauce
4 generous shakes of Lowry's seasoned garlic salt
1 large Idaho russet potato grated
1 capful liquid smoke(optional)
1-1/2 cups corn flakes or Total cereal
ΒΌ cup milk to moisten if needed

Mix all ingredients WELL and form into loaf. Cover with catsup and garnish with green pepper rings. Bake at 375 for 1-1/2 hours. Serve with a heated can of UNDILUTED tomato soup with 1 teaspoon Worchester sauce and pour over sliced meat loaf. Makes great next day sandwiches if there's any left over.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

Roxie

I love a good meat loaf!  The potato is a surprize ingredient...I'm gonna try it.
Say when

Patty

Meatloaf is one of my favorites too. I used to make  it all the time, using whatever ingredients I happen to have in the house, when our boys were little. That is why I like it, it is such a versatile meal.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

scgargoyle

The wife makes it with a can of Rotel in it to kick it up a little. Rotel is stewed tomatoes with hot chili peppers in it. We use it for so many things that we buy it by the case at Sam's.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Tom

Oh my goodness!  I thought you were talking about Rotella.  I don't want any of that in my meatloaf. :D

WDH

Now I am hungry again.........
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Bro. Noble

Quote from: pappy19 on August 19, 2010, 01:40:54 PM
Here's one of the best meatloaf recipes I have had. Hope you try it-

Well, Pap, my wife makes an excellent meatloaf, but loves trying new recipes.  She is at this moment mixing up your recipe.  When I come in from milking the stoopid cows tonight,  I will be able to give you the opinion of a very experienced meatloaf eater :D :D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Mooseherder

I've got this recipe cooking in da oven right now. ;)
There were a couple slight modifications but should be real close.
We didn't have Total cereal so I crushed up some Special K.
We were outta Garlic Salt (we are never out of Garlic salt!) :D
So I used some minced Garlic and some Lawry's seasoned salt.
Didn't have any liquid smoke either but am not a big fan of that stuff anyway.
I added green and red peppers with the onion into a skillet and browned to
translucent before mixing with the other ingredients in the mixing bowl.
Everything else was followed to the T and the smell coming from the oven is wonderful.

Pictures when it comes out.  ;D

jim king

My wife is the only foreigner in town that makes meat loaf and scalped potatoes.  It seems that there must be a cell phone in the meat loaf as when she is making it all the Gringos show up.  We didnt have edible meat here until just a few years ago so it is a real treat.

Bro. Noble

Well, like Mooseherder,  we didn't have all the ingredients on hand so the wife made some compromises.  She didn't have any breakfast cereal except for shreded wheat so she used crackers like she always does.  I think the shreded wheat would have been fine.  She always chops green peppers and mixes it in my end (3/4) so that's how she did it.  We also had no liquid smoke,  but I put chipotle powder on mine which gave it a smoky hint ;)

It turned out very good and I wouldn't doubt that our future meatloafs will have alt least the potato and worchestershire sauce additions ;D

Thanks for the recipe.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Mooseherder

The Meatloaf was big hit.  
Had it with Mashed taters and corn on da cob. :)
We'll be making it again.
Thanks for the recipe.  Never had success with Meatloaf before.
Somebody elses was always better'n mine. :D
I covered with ketchup and Green Peppers but next time will put twice as much ketchup on top as it was more better'n good.

pappy19

Glad everyone liked the meatloaf recipe even with slight changes; that's what life is all about. The shredded potato helps make the meatloaf stick together and also makes it moist when you use the lean ground meat. I have made it both with and without the liquid smoke and like it both ways. I have also added New Mexico green chili's as well for something different. One year we harvested 2 very large cow elk and we had about 150 lbs of burger. I found alot of ways to use it up but the family favorite was my Mom's meatloaf recipe.

Pap
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

deutz4

150 lbs. of high quality burger. What a dilemna!!

Thank You Sponsors!