iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Planting Tulip Poplar in August

Started by woodbowl, August 18, 2010, 11:06:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodbowl

Yesterday I came upon quite a few poplar seedlings anywhere fron 6" to 24" tall. Some of them were right in the normal weed wacker path and had no chance of survival. With little time and without proper digging tools, I managed to pull up a fair amount of roots with the seedlings and pack them in wet newspaper to be transplanted. In the past I've planted 24" Poplar sections during the summer, but only had about a 10% success rate.

So here I am sitting on about a hundred young Poplar sprouts in the month of August, in north Florida, wondering what the best way is to plant them. I'm listening.  ;)  Thanks
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Samuel

If you were in Alberta I would tell you if you just threw them on your lawn they would likely start rooting and take off.   :D

In Florida...well I have no idea.
Web: HugeDomains.com - StrategicHseSystems.com is for sale (Strategic Hse Systems)
LinkedIn http://ca.linkedin.com/in/samuelelkins
Software Solutions-
DATS | Digital Action Tracking System by ASM

WDH

It may be touchy with bareroot seedlings that were dug up and transplanted this time of the year in North Florida.   Think about getting some of the miracle grow potting soil, the stuff with the fertilizer in it, and put some around the roots in every hole that you plant a seedling in.  They have to stay moist in the soil for a least a month with this heat in order to have a decent chance of surviving.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Autocar

Not sure if this will help you but I take two pound coffee cans and plant small seedlings in them and keep them a few year then when I get ready to plant them I cut he bottom off and plant the whole can. Then as the tree grows the can will rot away and the seedling was never disturbed so Ive had pretty good results.
Bill

Thank You Sponsors!