iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Exchange students or grants ?

Started by jim king, August 17, 2010, 12:19:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jim king

The daughter of the secretary at the mill will be finishing her forester studies in a year and is doing very well.  That being said  well is not on the same level here as North America.  Does anyone know if there still exists foreign exchange programs or some method for this young woman (24 ) to continue her studies up there ?

She has only her mother and lives a very simple life and there is no way she could ever do it without some kind of exchange program or whatever.  I would appreciate any ideas.

beenthere

Jim
How about the wood identifier that you mentioned a while back? He was connected to one of the Carolina (North or South) Universities, if I remember correctly.
Maybe he has some leads, and could benefit as well from this ladies' experience.

Are you thinking she is interested in management, or products?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

jim king

The wood ID man is now retiring and moving back to Europe the last I heard and will work there.

The Universities here for forestry have one general area of which 90% is theory and very little feild work.  They do not have areas that lean toward business or management or anything but the simplest area of forestry.

She will graduate here but I would assume in the States or Canada she would enter in the second year and work from there to her degree.

Fla._Deadheader

Would Costa Rica be of any benefit to her ??  I could ask around and see what might be available ??  My Wifes best friends daughter was-is graduated from the Forestry University in Cartago ?? 
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

jim king

Harald:

Costa Rica has numerous intl. study centers as I understand it including the USFS and others.  Yes that certainly is a very good option plus the Spanish factor makes it very good.

Jim

Fla._Deadheader

Jim, my wife is in touch with her best friend, the Abogada, and we might just put you in contact with this Abogada.

Direct communication is MUCH better than he said-she said., ESPECIALLY in Spanish.

Es Bien ??
   First, it is ridiculed;

BrandonTN

Hey Jim,

I was in a bachelor's forestry program at the University of Tennessee and studied as an exchange student in Finland via ISEP: http://www.isep.org/students/  It works both ways, US students-to-foreign, foreign-to-US. It lists all of the ISEP programs available at all US universities. Tuition, housing, and meals may be provided for foreign students....I'm not sure.

Also via ISEP one can study as a "direct" student, instead of an exchange student. Being "direct", the foreign student pays the foreign school's tuition directly and no exchange of students happens. In the exchange situation, the student pays their home school (and that money is used to host the incoming foreign student...however, as in my exchange situation with Finland, since Finland's government pays for its students educations, I'm pretty sure the Finnish guy that went to my school didn't have to pay for me to be hosted in Finland....but I paid for him to be hosted in the US :D).
Forester, Nantahala National Forest

Fla._Deadheader

Jim.
Have you been contacted by my contact ??  She stays pretty busy, and might have slipped her mind ??  If no contact, I will get in touch with her, again.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Thank You Sponsors!