iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Newbie-- looking to buy first sawmill within a year--

Started by Okrafarmer, August 15, 2010, 07:51:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okrafarmer

Hi, everybody. I live in South Carolina but hope to move to western Kentucky next year. I am hoping to buy my first portable mill about that time (whether I move or not). I worked in a production gang mill in Maine for a few months, and have milled out a little lumber with my chainsaw from time to time. I would really like to get a medium size mill, used or new, that I can make some part-to-full-time income from. I love trees, and cutting trees, and seeing the lumber come out, and I'm willing to put in hard work and concentration to make it happen, either as the main part of my income, or as a good supplemental income. I anticipate having $4,000-7000 to invest by that time. I would want a mill where I could expect, if there wasn't too much trouble, I could mill 1,000 bf of 1" hardwood in a day. I would also want to be able to mill, minimum, 24" logs. I don't care if the mill is all mechanical-- I'm an ox and I can hoss stuff like this around till the cows come home, that's not an issue, at least for my starter mill. I just need a portable mill I can get onto for a pretty low start-up cost.

Now I've noticed that some mills, even new, are in my price range and probably at my capacity. It looks like Hud-Son's mid-range saws fit the category, but I haven't seen them discussed a whole lot on here-- maybe I need to dig deeper in the older posts.

I was just wondering if any people with these medium-capacity mills (any brand) could tell me about how many bf of 1" hardwood they can normally do in a day. Tell me your mill brand, model, and options, how you load logs, and what your most common hardwood species are you mill. Also tell me if you have any major problems with these mills.
Thanks so much--
Jim
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Dan_Shade

horsepower of the saw has a huge impact on how much you can cut in a day.

I had an 8hp mill at one point, it wasn't near enough to make any production at all. 

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Dan_Shade on August 15, 2010, 07:55:22 PM
horsepower of the saw has a huge impact on how much you can cut in a day.

I had an 8hp mill at one point, it wasn't near enough to make any production at all. 

Good point. Thanks! What kind of saw was that?
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Burlkraft

Welcome to the forum!  8)  8)  8)

I love okra...'specially deep fried  digin_2 digin_2 digin_2
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Burlkraft on August 15, 2010, 08:05:07 PM
Welcome to the forum!  8)  8)  8)

I love okra...'specially deep fried  digin_2 digin_2 digin_2

Well I got a bunch of it! If you want it bad enough to pay for it to be overnighted, I'll send you some!

Dan_Shade

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Okrafarmer

But to get back to what I was saying, if I look at the WM website, it looks like the LT 15 is just under the capabilities of what I want, but it's a big gap between the LT 15 and the LT 28. The 28 would almost certainly do what I needed, but the price is kind of up there. I might be able to scrounge a used one in my price range. . . . . but maybe not, too.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Dan_Shade on August 15, 2010, 08:19:24 PM
My first bandsaw was a Hud-son Oscar 28.  

How was it, for a starter mill? It seems reasonably priced. Did you have any trouble with it? Did you simply upgrade, or did you not like it?

Okrafarmer

The one thing that concerns me about the Hud-Son mills is they do look a little underpowered per capacity-- like 28 or 40" capacity with about a 12 hp or 15 hp engine and no upgrade in sight?

HD

I think i would check some of the sponsers to the left..They all seem to have mills people like too.

fred in montana

I have an Lt 15 with a 25 horse motor. I like it. I cut a 20x20 today for someone out of a Doug Fir log.

If you want production, better plan on getting a tractor or fork lift too. That really helps.
woodmizer lt15, mf 65 tractor
logdovetailjig.com

Dan_Shade

The Hud-son is what I would call a "starter" mill, but it was way under powered, and I considered it to be built of light materials.

If you are looking at productivity, a hydraulic mill is the way to go, logs have a way of destroying one's back while turning cants.... 

I honestly believe if I had bought a 25hp LT-15 when I started sawing, I would have been happy with it, and never would have upgraded to the LT-40.  That said, I really like my LT-40.

I don't think you can go wrong with an LT-15 (or equivalent) from one of the forum's sponsors.

Dan

Magicman

In your OP, you stated that you wanted/expected to saw 1,000 BF of 1" hardwood per day.  "Starter" and hobby mills are not designed for that kind of production.  HP is an issue, and so is the strength and integrity of the mill's frame and it's ability to maintain proper adjustment and alignment.

All of the mill manufacturers listed on the left build mills that are capable of producing your targeted productivity.  New is fine, but I would not discount used mills.  I didn't when I bought my mill.

Options are added to mills for a reason, and higher production is that reason.  Log handling hydraulics, debarkers, and "setworks" are three that are high on the list.  There are presently active threads concerning building and adding hydraulic loaders/log turners to smaller mills.

Good luck, continue to read old/new posts and threads on here, ask questions, and Welcome to The Forestry Forum.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dan_Shade

I kind of skimmed over the 1000bf/day note, if you're planning on an "every now and then" day like that, then it may be obtainable with a manual mill.

If you want 1000 BF/day every day, then definately get a hydraulic mill.  I find Tom's assessment of about 1300bf/day to be pretty accurate.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: fred in montana on August 15, 2010, 08:58:08 PM
I have an Lt 15 with a 25 horse motor. I like it. I cut a 20x20 today for someone out of a Doug Fir log.

If you want production, better plan on getting a tractor or fork lift too. That really helps.

Fred, you probably don't have a lot of hardwood where you live, but how much softwood 1x wood can you typically saw in a day with the LT 15?

Also, I definitely want to get a tractor with forks for production. If I stay here in SC and continue to work for my current boss, he has just such a tractor. If I move to KY, I'll need to work my angle a while before I can buy one for myself, though it would also get used for more things than just the sawmill.

paul case

2 if's for ya
if i only cut 1x12's 12' long all day
if i had 1 helper all day every day

then you betchya i could easily cut 1000' every day.

btw i dont have a helper, i have to edge on the mill, and i dont always get 20'' logs or bigger. my mill is an ez boardwalk 20 hp honda 36'' cut 16' mill. check him out in the column to the left. i almost exclusively cut oak n other hardwoods.
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Dan_Shade

I've never noticed much difference in hardwoods or softwoods when it comes to production, to be honest.

that said, a day of hickory, white oak, and locust would make me cuss a bit, but all in all, as long as the bands are sharp, it's not so bad.  (That's with my 25hp engine.)

Have you had a chance to check any mills owned locally?  

Okrafarmer

I watched an LT 40 in operation but that's out of my league for now. There are a few operators around but I don't see them very often.

fishpharmer

Welcome to forestry forum Okrafarmer!!!  Your at the right place for sawmill advice.  Or any kind of advice really. 8)  Try to get a look at all the different mills on the market new and used.  An event like Sawlex will have an example of many new mills on the market from EZ boardwalk to Woodmizer.  I think its safe to say you can look on the members map,  find those close and they will be glad to show off their mill.  A FF member just posted a nice Turner mill in the for sale section.

I like okra too!!! I just picked a mess a few hours ago.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

cilley

Hi Jim.........I own a hudson farmboss 36...........if you want more info....email me..ajc1749nh2@yahoo.com......alan

Papa1stuff

1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

Magicman

He needed a space before and after his email address.

I'll bet that would work.   ;)

edit:  Well I took it off and left the instructions.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dan_Shade

magicman, he probably did that to avoid spiders from spamming him ;)

Papa1stuff

1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

Magicman

Quote from: Dan_Shade on August 16, 2010, 06:08:34 PM
magicman, he probably did that to avoid spiders from spamming him ;) 

Well I took it off and left the instructions.     ;) 

I don't know about stuff like that.  Thanks.  Generally members can be sent an email through their profile if they have made it available.

Thank You Sponsors!