iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

finally bought a camp property

Started by chet, August 11, 2010, 11:22:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chet

One of the many projects that have kept me busy of late. My boys and I have always wanted a camp, but could never afford or find exactly what we wanted. Well this spring our dream finally became a reality.
The area we picked to build on was a transition area from northern hardwoods to spruce and balsam before it entered a natural wet meadow. A storm a few years prior had blown down all the conifers. The first two pics are what was left after we cleaned them all up.  :)  The first pic is what we will see looking from the future camp, the next one is looking back from the meadow across part of the new yard.

I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Don K

Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Coon

where's da firepit...... ain't a camp till ya gots a big ol fire to cook wif.  ;D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

wood monger

Chet, You didn't say where your new property is, I'm assuming da yoop. I live in mid michigan just east of Lansing. The highlight of my year is hunting camp in da yoop. A good friend of mine has rights to his aunts property along the toonerville trolley line near Newberry. It' just over 1000 acres and truly wild. We've seen wolves and moose there. And da big bucks. It's mostly peat bog, but has alot of higher ground as well. I truly love going there, and am very thankful that there are still wild places like this in our state. Congrats on your camp property.

Burlkraft

Congrats Chet  8)  8)  8)  8)

That 's a nice lookin' piece of land there. Can't wait to see the "camp shack"   ;D  ;D  ;D

Is it gonna have a sauna like Pat's?
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Magicman

What a wonderful dream come true.  You will always cherish this time together gettin-r-done.  Congratulations.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

chet

Of course it's in da UP.  :D  It's only a 40, but surrounded by  CFR lands and national forest lands. Thousands of acres ta roam with many rivers, streams,  and lakes in close proximity.  8)  The only wildlife we haven't seen yet has been Moose, lots of tracks around, but we still haven't seen one. When we left yesterday one of da locals had left his calling card at da end of da driveway. A very large pile of partially digested choke cherrys.  ;D
Here's pics of da first "camp shack."

All finish work is done with white cedar. Lap siding, trim, door, facia, even da sofits are done in random end match. Da poles are black spruce, but will be switched out ta cedar when we find just da right cedar ones.  ;)

Da interior is all end match as well.

Da floor is done with all natural slate.

Da seat area is slate too. We still need ta do da grouting.

Just-Jim and myself posin' in front of the first and most important "camp building". Sauna/bath house is next.

"
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Burlkraft

Hey!...That is one high class crapper for sure  :D  :D  :D  :D

Jim looks like he did all the work  :D  :D  :D

Can't wait to see da cabin  8)  8)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Pudge

Best lookin outhouse I ever saw..holy 8)  Can't wait to see the camp.....

Sprucegum

??? Isn't he sposed to sit inside da house?  ???

Nice place, nice work. I'm happy for ya  8)

chet

He's just pithed at me 'cause I said no beer 'till we pick up all da tools.  :D  :D  :D

Bro. Noble

Geeze Chet,  that's just to look at, right?  You ain't gonna let anyone do anything to spoil the atmosphere in there are you?

I'm beginning to think that Chet isn't one to do things half-way 8) 8)

What a nice looking place. :)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

dewwood

Great looking property Chet!  I hope to visit you there someday.
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

Shotgun

Quote from: Bro.  Noble on August 12, 2010, 10:26:01 AM
I'm beginning to think that Chet isn't one to do things half-way 8) 8)

What a nice looking place. :)

You got that right, Bro. Noble. You should see his house  and all the furniture that he built for it.

Dat's a pretty fancy out house, Chet.

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

beenthere

Built it so small that there is a waiting line.... ::) ::)

Nice work. ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ron Scott

~Ron

Don K

That's a fine pooter shed, uh I mean putter shed.  :D :D ;D  It is nice to have all those natural building materials available.

I need to build one close to my sawshed so I don't have to make the scramble up the hill to the house. :-\

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

asy

Wow! That's the nicest dunny I've EVER seen!  Amazing...

Can NOT wait to see the next buildings! Bring 'em on!

asy :)
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

RavioliKid

Congratulations on the property acquisition!

And, that is the Taj Mahal of outhouses! Congratulations on your fine craftsmanship.

RavioliKid

Raider Bill

Why a single hole? Don't you have any friends?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Jeff

Quote from: Raider Bill on August 16, 2010, 06:34:34 PM
Why a single hole? Don't you have any friends?

Quote from: ChetHole? HOLE?  I KNEW I forgot sumpthin.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

chet

I asked jim if we'd do a single or two-holer.
Jim's reply "I ain't sittin' next-ta nooobudy while der doin' der ting!"  :D  :D  :D

Holmes

That is a great outhouse. When I bought this house  [a duplex]  it had 2 ,2 seaters about 50' apart inside.Would that make the families from the 1870's affluent or effluent ?
Think like a farmer.

Coon

Chet I hope dat screen comes off quiet and easy so you don't miss da deer cuz you're doin' yer business.   ;D 
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

ihookem

Iron River can be some real tough country. I like it there. I always wanted land in da U.P. I look around Amasa sometimes too. I like it but the deer hunting isn't so good is it. I want to hunt bear there someday.

chet

Quote from: ihookem on August 21, 2010, 10:31:25 PM
I like it but the deer hunting isn't so good is it.

You got dat right. Der ain't no deer fur miles.  ;)

Mooseherder

Congratulations on da camp site.  Looks like beautiful place. 8)

OneWithWood

Quote from: Chet on August 12, 2010, 10:00:06 AM
He's just pithed at me 'cause I said no beer 'till we pick up all da tools.  :D  :D  :D

Yooper wisdom at its best!

That is going to be some kind of nice camp!
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

chet

A couple of pics of da new additions ta da camp.

DA SAUNNA  8)

and a storage shed

Paul_H

Nice work Chet.
Is your woodstove outside fired? Is it all encased with brick on the inside?
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

WmFritz

Second that ...smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup
Will you use it in the winter Chet? Like to see some pictures with the sauna going buried in snow. smiley_antlers
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

beenthere

Awesome on the additions to the fine crapper.

Now for some snow to run and roll in after the sauna.  8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

dewwood

Nice!  I hope you have had some time to enjoy your handiwork.
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

Autocar

Nice set up, thanks for scharing your pictures and story.
Bill

rbhunter

It looks like a nice camp that is enjoyable to go relax in.
"Said the robin to the sparrow, I wonder why it must be, these anxious human beings rush around and worry so?"
"Said the sparrow to the robin, Friend I think it must be, they have no heavenly father, such as cares for you and me."
author unknown. Used to hang above parents fireplace.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ron Scott

~Ron

SwampDonkey

Nice place Chet. I missed this thread a couple years back. You folks are gonna have some awesome times up there.  8)

And if you have a few moose around, that means the deer are scarce. They don't mix too good. ;) I live in the middle of a potato field, so to speak, and the moose like to come up from the woods into my yard and nibble on my yard trees. ::) Kinda like having a horse around the back yard. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

Those are super nice additions.   smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup

I hope to be able to complete projects in a timely manner when I grow up.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

OneWithWood

One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

802Vermont Outdoorsman

What kind of equipment do you have up there ( I'm mainly interested in the ATV)

chet

justallan1

Beautiful land and buildings, Chet.

802Vermont Outdoorsman

Thank You Sponsors!