iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Saw shed ideas

Started by fred in montana, August 11, 2010, 10:17:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fred in montana

Ran across this building and it gave me some ideas for a saw shed. (Minus the fireplace!)

woodmizer lt15, mf 65 tractor
logdovetailjig.com

barbender

beautiful, but someone will be upset when you throw out their picnic tables and pull the Lt15 in there.
Too many irons in the fire

beenthere

:D :D

Just what I was thinking.   :)

Are they trusses, or frames under the roof?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

fred in montana

Couldn't tell. They had the ceiling finished with plywood.
logdovetailjig.com

Ianab

Dunno, keep the chimney and throw some slabs in for winter sawing. Hot plate to cook up some lunch?  ;D

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Magicman

Someone 'splain that ledge going across.  It's gonna catch/stop the snow from sliding off.

Us guys that don't get snow need to know.   ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bill Gaiche

M/M i am guessing its for stopping the ice from slidding off on to people. Nice building though. bg

paul case

thats what it is for sure enough. we dont get too much snow here in  my neck of the woods but when we do and it begins to melt and slide off roofs it makes piles too big to walk over and it can do some damage to the eves . imagine a frozen 2'' of ice on the roof. let it slide off 6' before breaking off. thats a lot of weight on the eve boards. not to mention what if your pickup were sticking out under it . on my curtain sided buildings i have had the ice and snow pack fall off and cut the curtains as it fell.  pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Meadows Miller

Gday

Good Idea  ;) And im with Ian keep the fireplace it ads a touch a class  Mate ;) or you could spin it around and face it into the skillon frame and clad that and whalah ya got yourself a heated Smoko Room  ;) :D ;D 8)

Im working on plans for my mill shed atm either 2 or 3  8 x 6 meter 26'x 20' clear span bays between the posts and 3.9 or 13'  high roof to the bottom of the main beams i have already got the 16'6" 8x8" posts cut and drying ready for treatment in afew months  2 bays will be all ill need  if im only planing on running the 10-30 but im still tossing up whether to go three and top tail the two Lucas's n go all out on a production  assault  ;)  :D ;D 8)
in the meantime i still have two Log homes and a 40'x 22' entertaiment pravillion to do  before the end of the year with Dad so things are busy  :) ;) ;D 8)  8)

i love having the ext kit for the 10-30 lucas as i can cut the main beams longer to give me a wider span on the openings an i reckon any perment mill shed should have at least a 21' opening to get logs in and you might be starting with an Lt 15 but who knows what the furure might bring you Mate  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Magicman

Quote from: paul case on August 12, 2010, 08:52:42 AM
thats what it is for sure enough. 

OK, that makes sense.  The building can support the weight, but the eaves can't.  Hold it, let it melt, and let it drip off.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

What it actually does is, it forces the snow/ice to melt rather than slide off the roof!

So, yup, it's a safety thing!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

bandmiller2

Montana Fred,only thing different I'd do is put a vent or cupalo at the peak so exhaust fumes can get out.Mayby removable sides to make winter cutting more comfortable buy blocking prevailing winds.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

LorenB

Fred,

Would you be loading logs onto your sawmill from the end?  That building has two posts (columns) along the side.  Those posts would prevent you from rolling a log onto your mill from the side. 

I want to build a shed for my mill too.  The biggest consideration will be spanning the length of a log, plus some extra for wiggle room, along the sides of the shed.  Naturally I can't use a beam cut from my own mill, because it would be too short.  I'm thinking I'll get a couple of trusses for the sides. 

Good luck.
-- Loren
Loren
Baker 3667D portable sawmill, Cook's edger, Logrite arches & peaveys.  Husky 272XP chainsaw & two Echos.

fred in montana

I would need to change it some so that I would have at least a 30 foot clear span opening.
logdovetailjig.com

bd354

About a year ago I saw a mill shed a guy made using a piece of railroad iron to support the roof over his log deck. If I remember correctly he spanned 24 ft.

fred in montana

I was thinking of laminating a beam or possibly buying a steel beam.

logdovetailjig.com

1938farmall

fred,   we have some snow in wisconsin.  i spanned 24' in my saw shed with an aspen log 16" on the small end.  lots cheaper than other ideas. al
aka oldnorskie

paul case

did you strip the bark off or anything special to keep the log from sagging.  did you season it before  putting it up? pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

ljmathias

I used a couple of pine logs, about 12" or so in diameter to span about 24'- seem to be holding up pretty good although I did put in a couple braces that reduce the unsupported length to about 18' or so.  And if it sags some, who cares anyway?  not in the running for sawmill-shed-of-the-month this year... :) :)

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

1938farmall

paul,  i did strip the bark & i did use knee braces at all post/beam intersections (32' x 96' - all on 16' centers) but i don't think the  braces carry much weight - only stabilize.  al
aka oldnorskie

backwoods sawyer

The opening would be a good place to use that log that has too much crook to mill. Just use an Alaska mill to slab off the sides and it will give you an arched opening that will help with the distribution of the weight.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

redbeard

[img]

[img] https://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/22539/2976/0629001917.jpg  I went with a cantliever type mill cover although the deck is open to the elements, but i have the freedom to run equipment around the sides.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Thank You Sponsors!