iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Massive mudslide in Pemberton

Started by Paul_H, August 08, 2010, 09:29:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul_H

There was a huge slide in the Pemberton BC area a couple days ago and the town was on evacuation alert.The slide occurred in the immediate area to our logging operations in the 1990's through 2003.We were there for the last slide(smaller) in 1998 as we worked across the valley and saw the 1/2 mile lake that formed behind it and were ripp rapping along the river when it let go some time later.

Link

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Paul_H

This pic is taken looking down the Lillooet river toward Pemberton which is 30 miles away more or less.We logged on both sides of the valley shown here and where the mud has smashed into the hill,mid pic was part of our chart area.
I heard from a freind in Pemberton today that 3 machines were buried in the slide,including a Cat 330 Roadbuilder that my brother and I used to own.

Thankfully it was fire season and the woods are shut down so no loss of human life.
This slide blocked both the Lillooet River and Meager Creek but it cut a path through quickly so there was no lake formed.

Paul_H

This pick is taken from the Pebble Creek area,directly across and looking up the Meager drainage.On the left side of the slide you can faintly see our old cut blocks on the hilside and the valley bottom although many plantations are now buried as well.

A little rectangle spot to the right of the slide is a large area where Great Pacific Pumice used to stockpile and screen the pumice from the mine further up the valley.

SPIKER

that looks rather impressive.   hope they dont start blaming de-forestation since there were operations in the area when it happened :(

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

WDH

Mountain beetle and now mud slides.  A little relief is needed.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Paul_H

They'll take it all in stride Danny :)

Spiker,
no worries there,the slide began well above tree line on Capricorn creek and and has done so for many years.It's that activity that helped form the fertile Pemberton Valley.

This link has a lot of interesting info on the Meager Creek volcanic field.It's beautiful country.

Meager Link

Thank You Sponsors!