iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chiggers

Started by indiaxman1, August 08, 2010, 05:34:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

indiaxman1

This topic was addressed in forestry/logging....related to mosquitoes....but after this weekend, need to revisit...went catfishing all night...did ok..hitting liver...had pants tucked in boots....but in walking truck to lake was jumped by tons of chiggers..didn't realize until next morning crawling out of sleeping bag how bad......now lower regions are peppered with bites.... :-[...so has this torrid summer got all these critters worked up?.....hate to use sprays, but next time will use DDT if I have to..

WDH

Rub some isopropyl alcohol on them, it will help.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Do drunk chiggers bite less  ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

The alcohol definitely gives them something else to appreciate beside you  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

woodbowl

If your already bitten, need relief and want to get rid of them right now, here is what my uncle does. I've tried it and it is immediate. Dob each bite with a drop of gasoiline on the end of your finger and they're done. It's just like pouring gas on an ant bed.  ;)

What are chiggers anyway? You mean red bugs?  :D
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

WDH

Olen,

I have never tried that gasoline cure, but I am sure to try it next chance that I get (which will probably be tomorrow  :)).

woodbowl

Don't be tempted to wet a rag with gas. You'll smell like gas and sting all over too. One drop is all it takes.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Magicman

We usta tie a kerosene strip around our ankles to keep um off.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Reddog

What about treating your boots and pants with Permethrin to prevent them from getting on board?
We use it for woodticks and it seems to work very well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permethrin

gary

I am going to try total kill from home depot. It is cheaper than Repel or No Stinking Ticks. It is permethrin. Mix it 5:1 supposed to be good for chiggers and ticks.

PineNut

I have used a few (3 or 4) drops of kerosene on each sock. Don't use too much or it will burn you. This has worked for me.

VT_Forestry

I've been gettin eaten alive by chiggers this year, especially around the beltline area of my pants.  Permethrin (Permanone) seems to have little effect on them, probably because I'm trudging through waist-high blueberry in the understory. Definitely gonna have to try that gasoline theory....makes you wonder sometimes why the good Lord would create such a useless creature  :-\ 
Forester - Newport News Waterworks

chain

Quote from: Magicman on August 09, 2010, 10:08:41 AM
We usta tie a kerosene strip around our ankles to keep um off.
Use to squirrel hunt with an oldtimer and would camp out for several days hunt and fish. He always insisted to tie a bacon-greased rag around our ankles, seem this worked rather well. But seed-ticks are the vicious critters for me now. I use everything I can but to to really rid them I wash out my hunting clothes soon as I get in from hunting,  also wash my lower body in rubbing alcohol. they're so tiny they cling onto truckseats or steering wheel, etc. for days.

woodbowl

VT_Forestry, your area is infested. I was stationed at Ft Eustis 35 years ago, but the main problem was ticks. It seems the whole tidewater area is that way.

indiaxman1

Thanks for all suggestions....witch hazel (mostly rubbing alc) seems to keep from urge to scrape the bites.(even tried listerine :).....tests one's willpower not to......but those cats were hitting........so we pay nature's price......

VT_Forestry

Quote from: woodbowl on August 10, 2010, 11:30:15 AM
VT_Forestry, your area is infested. I was stationed at Ft Eustis 35 years ago, but the main problem was ticks. It seems the whole tidewater area is that way.

Yeah the seed ticks and deer ticks are flat out terrible, I don't know what it is about this area but I really can't go a day without pulling a dozen or more ticks (embedded) off me...it's probably in the hundreds if I count the ones I pick off my pants/clothes  ::)
Forester - Newport News Waterworks

pappy19

When I worked in the SE, we always dusted our legs and pants with flowers of sulfur and never had a problem with ticks or chigros. Some dudes used dog flea collars around their pant legs and had good success but I never tried it.

Pap
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

Hanson

The couple of times that i had them bad I took a bath with a couple oz. of pine sol added in, it may not be the greatest for you but the next morning no more itch. your mileage may vary...

Jasperfield

Place a drop of clear fingernail polish on the chigger. It'll suffocate him and the itching will stop in about a day.

Raider Bill

How long do they live? I've had bites, scratching along the top of my sock line since August. I scratch till I bleed.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

WDH

I thought just several days to a week, but you must have a new pandemic :).

Magicman

Maybe they are just raising babies and sending in reinforcements.   :D :D

Raider Bill

Quote from: WDH on December 06, 2010, 04:58:37 PM
I thought just several days to a week, but you must have a new pandemic :).

Prob not chiggers then. Maybe I'm allergic to socks.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

indiaxman1

Now that snow is on the ground, temperature is bending to single digets....we can forget those buggers for 6 mon...switch to winter woes

Dale Hatfield

no chigger in the bite that i know of. But they left a deposit  that cause the burn /itch.
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

Thank You Sponsors!