iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Clapboard siding jig

Started by bunst, August 06, 2010, 08:55:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bunst

I would like to saw my own 6" clapboard siding for a structure I'm finishing. In the past I have sawn a few using shims to produce the bevel, but the process is very slow. Anyone know of a jig that could be made or bought for that purpose? My finances are somewhat limited, so I would prefer building something to save on cost.

Larry

My siding jig

The power feeder can be replaced by a feather board or press wheel.  Of course you will need one person pushing in the boards and one pulling siding out.  Arkie has one of wood...I'm sure you can find it with a search.

I've done a little more tweaking on the jig since posting the original thread.  Put on the HDPE and that helped feeding (Don't use two-sided carpet tape :().  Cranked up the power feeder until the engine was crying for mercy.  I can really put out the siding.

I built the jig just to do some siding for our new house but couple of neighbors caught me in the act and I sawed siding for an outdoor shed along with a workshop.  Got a cabin to do later this fall.

Sawing siding pays better than sawing logs...might be not hurt to put a bit of money in the jig. :)

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

paul case

ez boardwalk sells a jig and you can see pictures of it by clicking on his logo to the left of this page. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Ohio_Bill

I saw a lot of Clapboard siding  with no jig  . This is white pine  5/8 inch  . I just use a starter strip on the bottom row and it all falls in place . I tried using a jig but have better results this way .
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

Ohio_Bill

another picture of the sideing and my Grandson helper
Bill
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

paul case

Quote from: Ohio_Bill on August 07, 2010, 08:55:37 AM

i think you got it right. even if the siding isnt all done at least you got sattelite tv! you go bro.   pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Bill Gaiche

Ohio_Bill , those are some nice buildings! How wide and long are your boards and how much do you overlap each one? Also how are you nailing them? Thanks, bg

Don K

Go to Arkansawyers gallery, he has some pics. I just use 7/8 and a starter board, good durable siding.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

bunst

Guys, do you mean straight cut boards with no taper and then install in an overlap pattern after a starter strip at the bottom? Never seen that done here, but don't see why not.

Haytrader

Yep, that's what they mean.
I am going to reside my home like this only difference is I am going to leave the live edge on.
Haytrader

Don K

Yes. If you look close at my pic you can see the 8" first course nailed flat and the second board starts the tapered run.

I made two jigs like this to space the runs. Goes real fast with two people. Slide the notch under the board just nailed and the next one sets on top. I use a 6 1/2" reveal and full dimension 2X4's on the corners. Good solid wall.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Ohio_Bill

When I sawed this siding  I had a LT40 and I dropped  ¾ inch which made the siding  about  5/8 inch .  The boards are  8 inches wide  and I installed them with a 3 inch overlap .netting a 5 inch face on install .I also used a nailing jig  and it works great  . Only one nail per row about 1 ½ inch from the bottom, this nail also goes through the previous board. I use a ring shank gavilinized in an air nailer.
Bill

Brucer

Before I got my own mill, I spent a season running Louis' mill while he built his house. One of his bread-and-butter products was WRC siding - 5/8" x 8" boards. We'd cut some 2-1/2" strips for starters. There are dozens of homes around here sided with this material.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Thank You Sponsors!