iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Good results despite bad logs

Started by bugdust, August 05, 2010, 09:48:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugdust

Just finished sawing hemlock siding for the a customer. After suggesting he purchase his own logs, I had second thoughts upon delivery. A couple looked like bananas, a couple had heart rot (with carpenter ants), and the remaining were just plain ugly  :'(. Seems I lucked out on calculating number of logs required for the order. He asked for 200 pieces of 1/2" X 7" X 12', and actually ended up with 206 pieces. Sometimes luck takes the place of good.
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

tyb525

Good job  bugdust 8). I'd say that getting more than the customer needs from some junky logs is always good for business. It takes a good sawyer to get good lumber from junk logs :) (I haven't totally mastered that yet ;))
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

sgschwend

We cut mostly softwood here.  On the left coast folks avoid Hemlock, so I stopped accepting those logs.  Sadly they assume a White Fir log is a hemlock too.

A 7" wide board, could you turn those logs into 14" cants and then cut two at the same time?

The thinest I have cut is 3/4" for battens.  I would think 1/2" thick would be hard to handle without breaking or any knots would just fail.

Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

paul case

lucky is better than good . good job though .pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

bugdust

sgschwend,
In WV the hemlock is sometimes avoided by timber cutters due to market specifications, and the new band mills just don't like the hard knots, but the WM with a 10* cuts exceptionally well. You are correct, on the larger cants I sawed to 14" and doubled my production. I agree 1/2" is fairly thin and extra care has to be taken when handling, especially in longer lengths, but I try to satisfy the customer. I've started cutting my own siding but will use White Pine @ 3/4" X 7".
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

Thank You Sponsors!