iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sold my house and wife aint happy.....

Started by riverswamp sawyer, August 04, 2010, 08:47:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

riverswamp sawyer

Well, we got our sawmill to cut lumber to build a house for us  then saw  lumber for other folks.

seems like everytime I get a break from sawin for other folks  and  saw up enough for us to start framing our house someone comes along and buys everything I have stacked and then has me saw a bunch more.

We were eating supper tonight with some friends and my wife said that I had just sold our house for the third time........... She also said she is thinking about buying lumber for our house from the competition.

Whats a fella SUPPOSED to do?  ???

I may be soon livin in the dog house.... :'(

bd354

I may be soon livin in the dog house

Build it big :D

WH_Conley

That sounds like what happened to me with a room addition. Finally one day I went to the mill to saw it again. My wife went with me to off bear, I told her where to stack it, instead she put it on the forks of the loader and took it to the house.
Bill

stormyweatherman

river,

no shame in making a living! ;D

i read your post with sympathy and i had a couple of ideas/memories.  the following story is just my own experience and i'm not trying to say that you should jump the gun.  but my idea is that sometimes you just have to get started.  things will fall in place as they may.  if you buy some nails, some boards with be forthcoming.  next thing you know, you'll be roofing.

not long after i bought my land in maine, a 48 acre parcel with 2 other friends, i got wind of a change in the state laws.  at the time, owning over 40 acres you could do what you wanted with it, including buildings.  i heard that the law was going to change within a year or so.  but i was having trouble convincing my friends that now was the time to build our 'lodge.'  we're just working stiffs and it was a stretch just to pay for the land, let alone build a house/camp.  plus, none of us had much building experience.

so we had a meeting and i told them that i really thought it was a mistake to wait.  still they weren't ready to commit to the project.  we were scheduled to head up there one weekend in august.  i had a floor plan roughed out on paper and i faxed a building permit application to the town hall.  when i called to verify it, an older gentleman answered the phone.  he said, "ok, we got it, sta(h)t buildin!"  i left a day early.  when my friends showed up, i had the floor framed, the plywood down and a big stack of framing lumber and plywood ready to go. 

they were a little shocked :o, but they could see that i had laid out some bucks for materials and i was going ahead with or without them.  i guess they decided that if i was crazy enough to do it, then i must have a good enough reason for them to follow.  they each forked over enough to get what we needed to build it and close it in.

i drove up there every weekend that year until i finally put the last shingles on it.  it was after thanksgiving and i was on a 12/12 pitch, alone, it was snowing and dark, and i had moved my truck down the hill a bit so that the headlights shined a little light on it.  the following spring, the state passed a law to prevent anyone from building without inspections and all that stuff.  we were already grandfathered by then.  that project changed my life in so many ways that i can't even begin to translate it all.

not that i'm saying you should rush ahead, but when you're ready to start building your house, nothing's gonna stop ya ;). 

good luck and safe sawing.
if experience is the sum of all my mistakes, then i must know a great deal more than i realize

pasbuild

I have been trying to build my camp for three years now, same thing something always comes up were I end up using the materials for something else, the past few months have seen a bunch of framing materials go to a neighbors roof, his place leaked so bad that the wife didn't have any of her tupperware to use they were all catching water somewhere in the house, with little money to fix the problem I gave him the materials and help him get it dried in. Now I'm finishing a basement with the T&G at another neighbors so his in-laws have some place to stay when they come up here later this month.

Maybe next year :-\
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Randy88

Kick the dog out and prepare for a cold winter in the dog house, or is he already taken your place inside so the dog house is sitting empty?     Maybe before selling all the stuff next time just sell some of it and keep a little so you can start, that seems to work around here, if its already cut and put up its a lot harder to sell.  If the plan is to have it all sawed before starting thats like waiting until you have all the money before buying the new house, that never seems to work.   

paul case

river
does that dog house have ac and is it closer to the mill than where you are living now?  might be a better arrangement if the fridge would fit thru the door. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

bandmiller2

Sometimes its more important to keep peace in the valley,build the DanG house wile your young.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Magicman

I guess that it happens to all of us.  I sawed out the lumber for my Son's shop, sold it.  Sawed it out again, used it for a church food distribution building.  Sawed it out again, used it to put a new "pitched" roof on his home (that was a good thing).  Started sawing it out again, sold it to Radar67.  Looking for more logs.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

paul case

Quote from: bandmiller2 on August 05, 2010, 06:51:50 AM
Sometimes its more important to keep peace in the valley,build the DanG house wile your young.Frank C.

if you are building it yourself and dont have a lot of experience,get you an old codjer to come sit in on the build. my dad was instremental in building my house even though he didnt do much of the work he was here through all of it with some advice when we would get to one of those head scratching moments.   pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

ljmathias

Yeah, I like old codgers on the work site myself, as long as it is myself alone... lots of times old codgers don't get along too well with each other: everyone of them knows he's right and the others are wrong, and I know this to be true, cause I'm right, and old, which makes me what?... :D :D

So just a word of caution- you need a sign that has to be enforced: "Only one old codger at a time on the work site!"  and then listen to the one you have.

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Banjo picker

Lj   ....That is right on... :)  I have known a few of them , and I believe I am becoming one of them ....myself...slowly...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Thank You Sponsors!