iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

When was square rule invented? How to date a barn?

Started by ballen, August 04, 2010, 04:08:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ballen

I just visited a barn in NE PA the owner wants to get rid of.  He says it's from the mid 1850's but the joinery is very clearly square rule with every joint brought down eactly to it's lesser dimension.  Does anyone know when square rule became popular?  The cuts are very square and precise.  Other ways to date barns?

Jim_Rogers

It has been said that the first mention of square rule in any writings that can be used to date the "new" method of framing is around 1812 to 1820 or so.

Before that most all barns were scribe ruled. But there are lots of barns that are part one and part the other.

I do have Jack Sobon's pamphlet that tells about the first mention of square rule method, somewhere here in my stack of books and magazines, but it's been a long time since I've actually seen it and even longer since I read it.
I'll have to try and find it during one of the times I'm in the office "cooling off" from milling.....

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Brad_bb

Definitely keep cool my friend.  It's murder with this heat and humidity, especially the humidity.  Hopefully it will break soon and we'll get some decent weather where we don't soak a shirt within 5 minutes.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Dave Shepard

The oldest dendro confirmed square rule frame is 1801. I've forgotten where it is. There is a Dutch house about 5 miles from here that is either 1805 or 1809, I'll have to ask Jack next time I talk to him.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Ironwood

It was first designed and built by a blacksmith as I recall.

Latest technology of the day back then, and the smith was the center of much commerce and VERY important.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Dave Shepard

Ironwood, we are talking about square rule layout, versus scribe layout, not the actual framing square.  :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Thank You Sponsors!