iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mid-summers managerie

Started by chain, August 04, 2010, 02:29:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chain

Furthering reports of our resident bald-eagles..as during the month of June to mid-July the eagles fished each day catching their prey and heading off in a southwesterly direction. Then, about the third week of July and on until today the eagles still fish but head now in a due east direction. They sit in their respective snags through the 100-103 temps each day, patiently awaiting the next catch. I can only assume their young eaglets have left the nest and are not quite ready to join the parents at catching their own fish.

The deer have left the soybean fields! Didn't take much harrassment to encourage the doe to take their fawns elsewhere as I would circle the ATV around them, but mostly, I think, the heat-drouth we currently are enduring moved them over to well-irrigated corn and milo fields, I know they're lovin' it! :D

Our grandchildren are here visiting and we've been capturing butterflys, the kids 10 & 4 are a hoot chasing after all the colorful creatures of the flowers. They have a glass bottle that has a magnifying glass in the top, the 'flys are absolutely beautiful close up and readily identifiable from our butterfly book.

Last, but now coming up is our late-summer forest inspection. Good time to check for insects and diseases, mast production, squirrel and deer, and turkey hunting potiential this fall. Can't wait! :)

Burlkraft

Why not just 1 pain free day?

chain

Proudly announcing on this very day, Saturday, August 7, 2010 an eaglet arrived at our lake! I had already taken my early morning viewing of the two adult Bald eagles. But I noticed the large female was perched with her back to the lake watching out easterly toward the Mississippi river; the other adult eagle held his posture toward the lake as nomally done while fishing. About 8:00 a.m. I glassed down one last time to see the eaglet perched high in a willow snag. Finally, the adult eagles flew out to the south, one of those circled back and soon the eaglet sailed out to follow.

Also yesterday, we were treated to a flock of about fifty white pelicans sailing and spiraling with the notheasterly breeze down the river. The pelicans are a rarity somewhat in this country locally. But as the flock  would turn into the wind they would nearly disappear from view until the circle came back and their hugh wings catching the sun was a beautiful sight!

Thank You Sponsors!