iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Advance Search Logic - Match as Phrase

Started by Doug_D, August 04, 2010, 12:36:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug_D

Hey all,
I have been trying to search on certain phrases, but having no luck. 

If I enter HOW TO SAW BEAMS with out quotes I get 7 pages of results.  If I enter the same phrase with quotes I still get 7 pages of results.  After reading the search help, I was under the impression using quotes would only return results that contain the entire phrase.

Is there any other way to concatenate words using the advance search?

HOW & TO & SAW & BEAMS
HOW + TO + SAW+BEAMS

Just trying to avoid asking the same questions twice.

Any help would be great!

Thanks...

BTW...using google chrome...if it matters.

Our adventure in Building a Log Cabin Rental Business!
www.cabinstartup.com

Jeff

Are yopu talking about the Forestry Forum search? You mention google chrome so I am guessing you mean searching google, because different browser has no relationship to how the forum server returns a search result. 7 pages of results is easy enough to go through if you are talking about forum results.

The Forum search is a third party open source software I installed on the forum server that indexes and searches the Forum database.  

You may be able to learn about refining logic queries from their website.  
http://www.sphinxsearch.com/

The way I find things is by narrowing the information, not broadening. Narrow the keywords, narrow the forum's being searched, and even narrow to the poster being searched.

Also, remember, this is not google or ask, so using a question like "HOW TO SAW BEAMS" is not a realistic way to search an index.  You are looking for existing information, where your query relies on logics using a version of artificial intelligence to return results.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Doug_D

Hey Jeff, thanks for the help.

I am talking about the FF search.  As I mentioned below, I have been unable to search on phrases using the advance search and quotes as suggested in the help menu.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=help;page=searching

I get identical results if I do or don't use quotes. 
For example CHAINSAW MILL and "CHAINSAW MILL" will get the same results and it should not.  The search without quotes should return messages when both CHAINSAW and MILL appear in the index.  The one with quotes should return results when only the entire phrase CHAINSAW MILL is found in the index.  Does that make sense?

www.cabinstartup.com

Jeff

The forum help page for searching refers to the forum's software's ability to search. We don't use that because it's a resource hog and can grind a large forum to a halt. We outgrew the software's included abilities about 5 years ago. We now use an external program to search the database.  I never considered the point that the help file's instructions would not apply any longer. Add that to my list I guess.  :)

Doug_D

Thanks again Jeff.

Most of the time I just use google to search a specific site, but wanted to see what FF search could produce.  Just thought I was doing something wrong.

If someone stumbles across this thread and wants to search the FF for a certain phrase, try this in google.

"chainsaw mill" site:forestryforum.com

Google will search the site for the entire phrase of "Chainsaw Mill"...nothing else :-)

www.cabinstartup.com

Jeff

One things about that is though, google can only search the information they have indexed on the Forestry Forum. If you want to search the forestry forum completely, you need to use the Forum search.  The Forum search indexes are amended every hour, then the entire index is rebuilt every night. The entire Forestry Forum post and topic database is available in a search and the returns are available to you based on your board permissions.

That's the other thing as well, if a board is only available to see for those that are logged in, it is not available to be indexed by any search engine other then our own.